navwin » Discussion » Announcements & Links » Prayers for Our B.C. Friends
Announcements & Links
Post A Reply Post New Topic Prayers for Our B.C. Friends Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
vlraynes
Member Rara Avis
since 2000-07-25
Posts 8229
Somewhere... out there...

0 posted 2003-08-01 09:51 PM

I just talked to Rhonda/Skyfire, and she was telling
me that B.C. has declared a state of emergency for the
area near where she lives, and specifically including the
city of Kamloops, where she attends college.

There are serious forest fires in the area and they are growing
rapidly, as a result of unusually dry conditions this summer.
Several residents of various towns have already been evacuated,
and more evacuations are expected in the coming days.
For more details, here is a link to a news article about the situation.
http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/Canada/2003/08/01/151454-cp.html

Rhonda also posted a poem, inspired by her own fear
over the situation, in Open #27.
/pip/Forum80/HTML/003891.html

Please keep all of those affected in your thoughts and prayers,
and lets pray, not only for the safety of all involved,
but for some much needed rain as well.

Hugs to all of our B.C. friends.. ...Be safe.

[This message has been edited by vlraynes (08-01-2003 10:28 PM).]

© Copyright 2003 Vicky L. Raynes - All Rights Reserved
Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
1 posted 2003-08-01 10:18 PM

Montana has some of the same conditions - severe draught - raging fires.  I don't know that we have any members from Montana, but my thoughts and prayers are with anyone who fears the ravages of either severe draught conditions - or floods.  Sometimes it seems like there ARE no winners....

to all....

Poet deVine
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-26
Posts 22612
Hurricane Alley
2 posted 2003-08-01 10:37 PM

Yes, I will add them to my prayers. Vicky and I know full well what lack of rain and dry timber can mean!
vlraynes
Member Rara Avis
since 2000-07-25
Posts 8229
Somewhere... out there...
3 posted 2003-08-01 10:39 PM

Yes, Sharon...that we do.  It was such a relief
to finally get some rain a few nights ago,
but we could certainly use lots more.
I do hope that B.C. gets some soon as well.

[This message has been edited by vlraynes (08-01-2003 10:40 PM).]

Trillium
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-03-09
Posts 12098
Idaho, USA
4 posted 2003-08-02 01:10 AM

Here in North Idaho, we have the same type of conditions and are in great need of rain. There are fires burning in so many areas now.  We are about 20 miles from the closest fire, but do live in the timber, so it's always a matter of concern.  I am praying for rain for everyone and soon!

Betty Lou Hebert

SEA
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 5 Tours
Member Seraphic
since 2000-01-18
Posts 22676
with you
5 posted 2003-08-02 01:35 AM

yes, prayers being sent
Skyfire
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2000-12-27
Posts 3381
Riding
6 posted 2003-08-02 01:36 AM

Well this was an evening to remember. I went to my sister's place for a while, and was just chilling drinking some coffee, and my nephew came and got me outside. The air was thick with smoke that has blown in from the Chilko Lake fire, and the sun was blood red... I've only seen it like that once before. I was okay, everything was cool, and then the fire trucks went screaming by in the direction of my place, so I immediately became frantic, and my sister's husband drove me home (I was in NO condition to drive), as my parents had both gone to get groceries. We live on top of a mountain, and at the bottom is a creek and a little valley... the valley was filled with smoke, and the creek is absolutely dried up because the fire crews are drawing on it for their supply (bless them). We got up to my place, and everything was okay, I phoned my sister to let her know everything was cool, and I went downstairs and just started franticly putting things in a bag. I stopped, forced myself to try to think rationally, grabbed the essentials, and then got the stuff that has sentimental value to me. It's still in the trunk of my car just in case. I caught the horses and haltered them, they didn't know what my problem was, but my hands were shaking... still are. Anyway, we got back to my sister's place and the people that she is letting stay there lost everything. They have two trucks, two dogs, their motorbike, some vital papers, and some clothes. They can't find their parents now   Finally Mom phoned me at my sister's, and my parents have decided to stay here for the weekend instead of going camping, and I honestly don't think I'm going to be able to sleep tonight. My nephews were all upset, my sister was upset, I was trying to be the strong one, but all I could think of was "my horses... how am I going to save them?". I'm home now though, and now I'm just waiting and praying. I find it kind of ironic that one of the first things I grabbed was my box of journals. Always the writer I guess. It's scary. Very scary. It's always been one of those things where forest fires haven't really affected me, but now that I've got one to the northwest and one to the south, it's different. The fires in my area are at Deka and Soda Lakes, about a half hour drive, and that's a little worriesome, but they haven't started to spread.

Thank you so much for your prayers and concern, I've never known the fear of losing everything I love.

It just numbs the literary senses, I can't even think of what to say right now in regards to everywhere else that is experiencing the same thing. It's just not fair that people would be so careless as to toss a cigarette into the woods. People's homes, lives and jobs are being burned up because of stupidity. All I can do is shake my head and pray that people around my town are intelligent enough not to be stupid.

*big hugs*

Marshalzu
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 5 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2001-02-15
Posts 2681
Lurking
7 posted 2003-08-02 09:19 AM

*hugs*
lucky
since 2000-01-17
Posts 1601
Idaho
8 posted 2003-08-02 09:32 AM

there's a fire on the other side of the lake (Ponderay) approx. 500 acres. still a little to close for me. it's awfully dry up here in the panhandle, maybe we'll get some rain today... no lighting...

my best, dale

skyshine
Deputy Moderator 5 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2002-02-07
Posts 3058
Beneath the northern stars
9 posted 2003-08-02 11:16 AM

big hugs and lots of prayers for you and everyone, Rhonda.

~Elizabeth

Dreams last for so long, even after you're gone...
~Jewel

Enchantress
Member Empyrean
since 2001-08-14
Posts 35113
Canada eh.
10 posted 2003-08-02 12:44 PM

Thinking about you, and all the others..and saying prayers Rhonda.
~Hugs, Nancy~

Trillium
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-03-09
Posts 12098
Idaho, USA
11 posted 2003-08-02 06:38 PM

I'm so glad you are all right and didn't have to evacuate.  we are having cooler and cloudy weather here today and supposed to get some rain tomorrow, so I am hoping it makes it into your area and puts out the fires.  We used to go fishing at Lake Heffley years ago, and I have several relatives who live in Kamloops. I love the country and the people there.

Betty Lou Hebert

NewEnglandlazurlu
Member Rara Avis
since 2002-01-04
Posts 7470
A Mountain Paradise
12 posted 2003-08-02 09:41 PM

I saw your area on the news this evening. I hope you remain safe and know I'm sending prayers to you and your family.

Hugs and prayers for safety ... Marti

Poet deVine
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-26
Posts 22612
Hurricane Alley
13 posted 2003-08-03 06:09 AM

A bump to keep everyone's prayers - this is getting worse and worse. 8,500 people evacuated.
Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » Announcements & Links » Prayers for Our B.C. Friends

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary