navwin » Discussion » pipTalk Lounge » Technology Addiction
pipTalk Lounge
Post A Reply Post New Topic Technology Addiction Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Alicat
Member Elite
since 1999-05-23
Posts 4094
Coastal Texas

0 posted 1999-11-25 11:03 AM

Well, this just sucks. I move all my things from Texas to Oregon, 2700 rough and winding miles, unpack my stuff in my apartment, get phone service, set up my computer, turn it on, test for dial tone, and what do I find?
Nada.
Zilch.
Nothing.
That dang blasted MWave modem/sound card is shot.
So, before I truly realized the problem, I tried re-installing software. Then I tried re-installing the hardware. And when all else failed, I tried re-formatting my harddrive, in the hopes, however slim, that the problem might be corrected. I was wrong. Very wrong. So wrong that not only did my system fail to initialize the sound/modem card, but in so doing I lost everything that I had on my drive. Songs that I had spent 6 months finding for WinAmp. Codecs. Patches. Upgrades. ICQ database. Everything.

Now, I do have a partial backup, but what is the point? No sound. No modem. I'm very thankful that Satiate allows me usage of her PC and internet connection, otherwise I would presently still be suffering withdrawal from email, PIP, and the ICQ chats I have with Satiate while she's at work.

Computers and components...talk about a love-hate relationship...

Alicat the disgruntled

© Copyright 1999 Alastair Adamson - All Rights Reserved
Nicole
since 1999-06-23
Posts 1835
Florida
1 posted 1999-11-25 11:56 AM

Just don't go downloading and installing a bunch of useless crap on my computer mister...or else there's one cat that's gonna be in some serious trouble.
Denise
Member Seraphic
since 1999-08-22
Posts 22648

2 posted 1999-11-25 12:51 PM

Sorry you had so much trouble, Alicat. Thank God for Satiate, huh?!!

------------------
Denise

Nan
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-20
Posts 21191
Cape Cod Massachusetts USA
3 posted 1999-11-25 10:52 PM

Don't be getting your bristles in a twitch, Persnatiatedkitty.......
Christopher
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-08-02
Posts 8296
Purgatorial Incarceration
4 posted 1999-11-26 04:13 AM

I empathize COMPLETELY!
I had a similar occurance myself recently!
(A hint: Get a CDR Drive and back EVERYTHING up! It will save scads of trouble!)

Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
5 posted 1999-11-26 06:58 AM

In between my commiserating with you on your troubles, I'll take time to wish you Welcome in your new home. Don't forget to take time to smell the roses.
Alicat
Member Elite
since 1999-05-23
Posts 4094
Coastal Texas
6 posted 1999-11-26 12:33 PM

Satiate: No worries. We've already discussed this and I agree with you 100%. Your system; you choose what goes on it.

dsnyder: Yawp...thank God for Satiate...she is indeed heaven sent.

Nan: There were pretty durned ruffled, and make no mistake. But I've bathed since then and have done straightened out them thar bristles. My, but they do itch...

Christopher: I'll be sure to either do that or get a zip drive, along with scanner, when I same up enough to purchase a new system. The defunct one I currently have was put together in November, 1995. I'd say it was time it was put to pasture.

Sunshine: Thanky darlin! Don't worry...I smell the roses every time Satiate wanders by.

Alicat, loving the way Nan spelled persnickity

Jewl_24_1999
since 1999-10-24
Posts 64
USA
7 posted 1999-11-29 09:39 PM

sigh, I know your pain, when my computer crashed I went out and bought another one..lol
Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » pipTalk Lounge » Technology Addiction

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary