navwin » Discussion » pipTalk Lounge » Something that's really been bugging me
pipTalk Lounge
Post A Reply Post New Topic Something that's really been bugging me Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
fractal007
since 2000-06-01
Posts 1958

0 posted 2000-12-08 04:25 PM

I just read a post from a long time ago, discussing wheather or not quantity messes up quality.

I was just wondering, how long did it take the famous poets to write poems that were about the size of the ones we write?  Were they geniuses, so they could just spit out words in any type of meter and rhyme scheme they wanted, on command?  Or was it a process of writing and refining, like it it with my poetry?

© Copyright 2000 fractal007 - All Rights Reserved
Irish Rose
Member Patricius
since 2000-04-06
Posts 10263

1 posted 2000-12-08 07:02 PM

Oh boy, what a question!  There is and has always been genius of course, those who can pen a masterpiece in no time flat, and others who have the desire and talent and work at it very hard.  If you have the crux of poetry which I believe is  meter,and add to that the soul of poetry which I believe is metaphor you have the basis for a wonderful poem.
Add to that versification, form, rhyme, and the desire and inner gift, and you have something spectacular.
Anyone can "learn" to write a poem, some
are immortal because the poets are gifted.
This is a great question! Hope this helps.

What is that you express in your eyes? It seems to me more than all the words I have read in my life.

Walt Whitman

Dopey Dope
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2000-08-30
Posts 11132
San Juan, Puerto Rico
2 posted 2000-12-08 11:24 PM

Well i should say that each writer has their own ways of coming up with ideas and such. Maybe they spat it out, maybe they worked it up. We'll never know........

I was born myself, raised myself, and will continue to be myself. The world will just have to adjust.

I hate your socks. I'd like to burn them!

Temptress
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-06-15
Posts 7136
Mobile, AL
3 posted 2000-12-09 12:29 PM

I think this is an interesting question. I don't have anything to offer, but I would love to follow the thread. *heaves this one on the library shelf*  
Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » pipTalk Lounge » Something that's really been bugging me

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary