navwin » Archives » The Corner Pub » Graduation Day!
The Corner Pub
Post A Reply Post New Topic Graduation Day! Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Aimster
Member Elite
since 2000-02-19
Posts 4297
Charlotte, NC

0 posted 2000-03-16 10:38 AM

This one is long. I understand if you guys don't want to read. I graduate May 13th, and am having a lot of emotions over it. Thanks to anyone who reads or responds.

Graduation is growing closer, it won't be long before my college education is complete
My parents standing in the crowd bursting with pride, as the tears slowly slide down my cheeks
I whisper to my friend "girl we finally made it" as we hug one another
Knowing that this day will forever change the rest of my life, knowing we will miss one another
Then I hear my name being announced as I stand
Walking across that stage, four years of memories flash before me, and I'm taken to another land
Happy, sad, excitement, fear all wash across me, and for a moment time stands still
So many thoughts run through my mind, so many feelings I feel
Out into the world I shall go now, to start a dream that has been mine for so long
The profession of social work is not an easy one, but thats not why I chose it, it is my song
Looking back to yesterday I let out a laugh and smile with pride
And look around to my fellow friends in social work, who have for these last two years been by my side
Then another tear, slowly escapes from my eye
When I realize...it's time to say goodbye
I walk over to my professor Dr. Sandell, she looks at me and smiles
Says to me "Amy can we talk just for a minute, for a little while"?
She has been my role model, and my favorite professor during all the time I've been here
She says don't be sad..she never missed nothing, she didn't miss my tear
Then I see my parents, dad is whistling and mom is waving hi
So I say to my professor, I will miss you so much, take care and goodbye
She says no I don't do goodbyes, so we say see you again
Four years of memories, knowledge that I take with me into this world
I am glad I got all this to treasure, wouldn't have wanted no other place to have been!
< !signature-->

~Live today as though it were your last but prepare for tomorrow as though it were here~

[This message has been edited by Aimster (edited 03-16-2000).]

© Copyright 2000 Amy Kennedy - All Rights Reserved
childomine
since 2000-01-25
Posts 818
st. petersburg, FL
1 posted 2000-03-16 11:35 AM

Amy this is really sweet (not too long at all) and is written well of the conflicting emotions.  You're moving on from a place that you've known to a place that is yet unknown.  It's scarey.  Where I live (Florida) social workers are desperately needed.  You've picked a tough road, so hang on to those memories, they will lighten your heart as you propel forward into exciting, new beginnings.  By the by - congratulations!!!!              

[This message has been edited by childomine (edited 03-16-2000).]

Jon Mewett
since 2000-03-04
Posts 1304

2 posted 2000-03-16 11:36 AM

It's great the joy you feel.
You've made a great job of conveying this joy, tinged with apprehension ,in this verse.

Best of luck for your future success.

Jon

Gene
since 2000-01-23
Posts 935
Colorado, USA
3 posted 2000-03-16 01:10 PM

Congratulations, Amy.    Great poem, make sure you send a copy to your professor. I'm sure she'll want to hang it on her wall.

~Gene

kaile
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Ascendant
since 2000-02-06
Posts 5146
singapore
4 posted 2000-03-17 12:04 PM

this reminds me of my graduation day.i reminded this tinge of sadness when i stood and sang my school song for the last time...

Aimster
Member Elite
since 2000-02-19
Posts 4297
Charlotte, NC
5 posted 2000-03-17 02:28 PM

Thanks everyone for your wonderful responses..you all know how to really make this girl smile!

Amy  

~Live today as though it were your last but prepare for tomorrow as though it were here~

Denise
Member Seraphic
since 1999-08-22
Posts 22648

6 posted 2000-03-17 04:55 PM

Congratulations, Amy!! Best wishes in your chosen career!

Denise

Janet Marie
Member Laureate
since 2000-01-22
Posts 18554

7 posted 2000-03-18 11:59 AM

amy-girl
you feel and experience all your emotions so deeply...and you write them equally expressive. this was sweet. CONGRATS!!!!
take care, jm

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » The Corner Pub » Graduation Day!

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary