navwin » Archives » The Corner Pub » Writer's Block
The Corner Pub
Post A Reply Post New Topic Writer's Block Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Yu Lan
since 2000-04-13
Posts 1462
New Zealand

0 posted 2000-06-10 01:45 AM

Writer’s Block

Weeping willows,
I’ve lost my touch,
That now, I think,
Perhaps I never had.

Oh rose briar,
I’ve pricked my finger,
Thought you would blossom forever.
But I bend to smell,
And you bite me so mercilessly,
Oh, sweet rose briar.

Ah, darling flames,
Would you burn me,
When I need you so?
Alas I burn no more,
For the flames of my heart
Flow not from my fingertips,
And I beg to be rekindled.

Hehe, by the time I had finished writing this, it was all back again. ^_^ I think i wrote 4 poems that night? hehe..
(Hey therer is such a thing as 'rose briar', is there not? I am not so sure now, just the words that happened to leap out, threatened to bite me on the bum if I didn't use them! ^_^)

Lynne

© Copyright 2000 Lynne Miura, née Chudley - All Rights Reserved
Alle'cram
since 2000-02-28
Posts 1816
Texas
1 posted 2000-06-10 02:40 AM

YuLan, Me thinks you haven't lost your touch, on the contrary. I read this several times and really like it. It speaks to me in ways problably not intended, (dunno'). Serious, yet humorous; just my personal thoughts, if I may...."Oh rose briar, I’ve pricked my finger,"...you would only know this if your from the deep south, probably.
Don't go out in the briar patch wearing panty hose, 'cause you gonna get pricked. I found a great message in your poem, and my humor floated to the top.

I can not resist it! In humor I say this; if you play with matches (flames), you stand a good chance of getting burned. lol.

I enjoyed your poem very much.   Marcy

brian madden
Member Elite
since 2000-05-06
Posts 4374
ireland
2 posted 2000-06-10 12:46 PM

really enjoyed this one, glad the writers block is over.

------------------------
"I've been too honest with myself I should have lied like everybody else"-Richey Edwards

"Take nothing but pictures. Leave nothing but footprints. Kill nothing but time".

Baltimore Grotto

"Libraries gave us power
Then work came and made us free
What price now for a shallow piece of dignity"
Nicky Wire, A design for Life.

manic street preachers
"Rock 'n' roll is our epiphany
Culture, alienation, boredom and despair"

"To be nobody-but-yourself-in a world which is doing its best night and day, to make you everybody else - means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting."

E.E Cummings.

Yu Lan
since 2000-04-13
Posts 1462
New Zealand
3 posted 2000-06-10 08:48 PM

Thanx guys! ^_^

yeah, Marcy.. that's just how I meant it 2 sound!! ^_^
Well i am so glad that's the way it came across! ^_^

Ooh, way down south huh? mm, not sure, but I have actually never come across any briar, hehe.. (from New Zealand)

Brian Madden.. hey thanx.. yeah so am I.. ^^

Lynne

kelieth
since 2000-06-12
Posts 314
Normal IL - USA
4 posted 2000-06-13 12:04 PM

Yu Lan,
   I go through this to.  Where I want to write so bad I can't form the words.  By the same token I also come up with verses that are great I just can't seem to get to paper fast enough.  I guess there's two sides to every coin.  Enjoyed this piece.     Yes there is a rose briar.

Kevin

Lost Dreamer
Member Elite
since 1999-06-20
Posts 2464
Somewhere near the Rainbow
5 posted 2000-06-13 01:28 PM

Welcome back, I was there too for a while, but think it's gone for now. I do believe yours is too cause this poem is awesome.  
Denise
Member Seraphic
since 1999-08-22
Posts 22648

6 posted 2000-06-14 09:36 PM

Wonderful poem!   It's great when the inspiration comes back isn't it?

Denise

StarrGazer
since 2000-03-05
Posts 679
Texas
7 posted 2000-06-14 10:10 PM

still waiting  for my muse  to kick back in  it  is  working  at  1/4 speed or something  my  fingers  itch to write  the words  but they  don't flow right  it is  soooo  frustrating!!! Very  good  writing  glad your  muse has  returned      
Tramp Poet
since 2000-01-06
Posts 754
Could Be Anywhere...
8 posted 2000-06-15 11:41 PM

hey Yu,
love the imagry...now what may be the message
of a biting rose...hmmm.
Can understand totally where u r coming
from on this one.  I think it's kinda like
our biological cycles...occasionally nothing
for days and then oh boy!  Sorry about the analogy...but y'all know how us bikers like
to express ourselves...
Great work!
D

bleeding...

"Tis ink coming
from his arm,
Captain!"

kaile
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Ascendant
since 2000-02-06
Posts 5146
singapore
9 posted 2000-06-15 11:59 PM

Hey Yu Lan, i have tons of poems about Writer's Block and the sentiments expressed in these poems are often cliched and i cring when i read them sometimes...

But i enjoyed yours thoroughly...such beautiful images in your poem..love the way you compare your passion for poetry as burning flames...very appropriate...

i dont know what's with the biting rose briar but i took it to be a metaphor...it's like you think you can trust the rose not to bite you but nonetheless it does....similarly, you have faith in your muse but sometimes it mercilessly abandons you, leaving you alone and cold

will love to know ur interpretation of rose briar....Yu Lan looking 4ward to it

Yu Lan
since 2000-04-13
Posts 1462
New Zealand
10 posted 2000-06-16 10:31 PM

thank you all, ur all so kind, lol.. ^_^

starrgazer.. well I hope it comes back soon!!
Hehe, unusual analogy bleeding, but yeah, i know whatcha mean.. ^^

well, I am glad there is a rose briar.. i have heard of it years ago..

thanx Kaile.. yeah that is exactly what i meant with the rose briar.. almost as tho u knew it was going to, but u thought.. nah, it wont.. I trust it likes me as much as I like it, and something so beautiful couldn't do that.. could it? but, it does, hehe...

thanx again..
Lynne

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » The Corner Pub » Writer's Block

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary