navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » Martin's Plan
Passions in Prose
Post A Reply Post New Topic Martin's Plan Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
BreyerRose
since 2000-08-12
Posts 55
Easton, Pa USA

0 posted 2000-08-12 08:06 PM

The ashtray was overflowing, yet he continued to light another cigarette. Martin must have smoked an entire pack, if not more, in this last hour. He barely noticed the aching in his throat as he exhaled. The aching in his heart had numbed all of his other senses.

The kitchen was blurred and seemed unfamiliar, though he had spent every meal, for the last six years in this very room. He returned to the icebox for another beer. He knew his drunken state was not improving his outlook, but he didn't care. He needed some consoling, and if this was all he could get he would take it. This day, he was certain, was the worst of his entire life.

Martin had returned home at six o'clock as usual. Stephanie, his wife and reason for living, was in the kitchen preparing dinner. He approached her from behind. She looked so radiant even in her domestic attire. She had always brightened up his day, no matter how dismal, by doing as little as sharing her vibrant smile. He placed his hands on her hips and kissed her neck. Something was wrong. She was cold and distant.

"Hello darling," he whispered.  There was no reply, not even a gesture. She continued to work quietly over the stove top as if he didn't exist.

Martin walked over to the refrigerator thinking very little of her silence. She had surely had a difficult day. Perhaps her mother had been by. Steph was often in a sour mood after spending a few hours with that woman. Her mother had this ability to make anyone feel unimportant. She often degraded Stephanie, making her life out to be a miserable existence. Martin often wished her could make that evil witch disappear. Not for himself, he could handle the remarks and condecending tone in which she spoke. He wanted to save Steph.

Assuming that her mother had been the reason for her distance, he decided to leave her be. He had learned that it was best to let Stephanie stew for awhile in her anger. Later the fire would reduce to merely steam. Tonight he would hold her extra close so that se could feel his love fill in the emptiness her mother had left behind. Then it would all return to normal.

Dinner was not Stephanie's best attempt, steamed vegetables and very bland chicken, baked. It was much too dry for Martin's liking but he didn't complain. He merely sat in silence. He glanced in her direction once or twice to monitor her facial expressions. She never looked up from her plate. It was then that he realized that it had to have been more than her mother. Something was terribly wrong. There was no fire raging inside. There was no anger fermenting. There was, however, tears.

Martin placed his silverware down and looked across the table with adoring eyes. "Maybe," he thought "if she would just look into my eyes" His words finally broke the silence between them.

"Is there something wrong?" Silence was her response. "Stephanie?" he continued. Still, only tears. She did look exceptionally beautiful this evening. Her long brown hair was tied back, in what he thought was a braid. Small strands of curls dangled, framing the pale skin on her face. He lifted her head lovingly so he could look into her eyes. They were swollen with tears but still as gorgeous as the day he had met her. They were a deep mysterious brown. He once thought that they were like those of a puppy whimpering for attention. After some time he came to realize they were more like those of a small child, innocent and able to express every emotion. Tonight they were filled with confusion and behind that pain.

"I love you," he whispered. Almost immediately her silent tears turned into intense sobs. She brought her hands over her face in lament as if this was the last day of her life. She looked frail in that moment, defeated.
Martin was now also confused. He had never seen her like this before. He had never been unable to protect and console her. Why was she crying? Why did his words bring her even more pain? He brushed on of the strands of hair away from her face, making another attempt to communicate his love to her.

"Please talk to me Stephanie. I will help if there is any way I can." Stephanie fought to gain control of her hysteria. After a moment she took Martin's hand.

"Sit down," she whispered. He took the chair directly next to her. Martin cupped her hands inside of his own. She was trembling. Surely his strong hands could give her solace. Her lips were crimson, reminding him of rose petals, soft and succulent. Her crying had take nothing from the beauty in her face. Martin was once again lost in that beauty. With every ounce of his being he wanted to lean forward and kiss her passionately. The kind of kiss he had almost forgotten. Instead, he waited for her to speak. If only he had kissed her.

"I'm leaving you." Martin could feel his heart deflate instantly. His entire body went numb and his pulse momentarily stopped. Stephanie continued to speak but only bits and pieces made it past the screaming in Martin's mind. "I've met someone."Martin could hear the steady pounding of his heart in his ears. "I haven't loved you for a long time." A stone rose up in Martin's throat. How could this be happening? His head began to ache as his emotions grew steadily more overwhelming. "I'll be gone in the morning." There was no expression on his face. The emptiness he felt inside had crept across his every feature. He had been unable to speak the entire time. Stephanie finally released his lifeless hand and drifted upstairs without ever looking back.

Martin sat in a stupor, unable to absorb the idea of the event, for what seemed like forever. How could she do this to him? How could it be that he didn't know? Had he been living in a fantasy he had created? The emotions began to engulf his zombie corpse and he began to cry. He cried unlike ever before. Like a child denied it's mothers love, he wept.

Eventually the tears subsided. For a brief while he attempted to persuade Steph that this was wrong. He could forgive her and everything would be like it was years ago. She was firm in her decision and cast his every word outlike an unwanted scrap of paper,used and discarded wuthout remorse. He left her side and returned to the kitchen, where he sat even still.

The cigarette, wasted away to the filter, hung between his fingertips. All of his sorrow had now been replaced by anger. "That witch!","She doesn't deserve me.","Everyday I work hard so she can live comfortably and what does she do? Jumps into bed with the first thing she can find.","Tramp.","If I ever find that man I'll kill him."   All of his thoughts melted together. He lights another cigarette.

In need of some fresh air, Martin makes his way through the downstairs to the front porch. On the way he catches a glimpse of a picture hanging on the living room wall. It causes him to pause. Their wedding picture. He walks over and removes it. His fingers move lovingly across the glass. A smile emerges from the battered remains as Martin recalls that day.

It was the perfect day for a wedding, set outside amoung the brilliant colors of the autumn leaves. He had been nervous, stomach churning with butterflies. He stood beside the minister suffering through every moment of waiting. Then he could see her, walking slowly in rythem with her father. She was absolutely breath taking. His eyes followed her every step until she was standing proudly beside him, hand in hand. Oh, how he loved her, her beauty, her wit, her boldness, even the way she made him laugh. She was the only woman he had ever loved and now she was gone. Maybe not yet.

Martin placed the picture down on the end table and made his way upstairs. They could make this work. They had been so happy once. They could be happy again. He loved her with all his heart and he knew,somewhere inside, even if she thought it wasn't there, she loved him too. They had made and promise long ago that they had to keep. It would take some time and lots of forgiveness, but they could make it work. He would make it work.

Martin opened the bedroom door quietly. He made his way over to the bed. He sat down beside her. She laid motionless, uneffected by his presence. He ran his fingers through her thick hair. "I love you Steph and I'm not going to let you go."

He looked into her eyes. Still wet from her tears, they stared back into his own. He could see the answer in those eyes. She loved him too. She was sorry. If he could only find it in his heart to forgive her, she would once again be his blushing bride. She would stand strong by his side. Yes, she would love him forever.
Martin took her up into his arms. "I knew you still loved me. We were meant to be together, forever." Tears of joy now swelled in his eyes.

He stood up to remove his clothing. For some reason he felt strong, victorious. He tossed his wet shirt into the laundry basket. He laid down beside his love and tenderly embraced her. "I love you."

A calm serenity surrouned the two lovers as they renewed their vows in silence. Then an explosion, the last line of their unspoken agreement, echoed through the night air.

In the morning they were found. Still embraced, they had fulfilled Martin's ill thought plan. They would be together forever, Stephanie with a bullet in her chest and Martin's in his skull.

[This message has been edited by BreyerRose (edited 08-12-2000).]

© Copyright 2000 Paula Weiland - All Rights Reserved
BreyerRose
since 2000-08-12
Posts 55
Easton, Pa USA
1 posted 2000-08-12 08:48 PM

I hope you all enjoy this story. It was my first entry to this forum and this was my first story.  I felt they belonged together.
Hugs and Kisses,
Paula

[This message has been edited by BreyerRose (edited 08-12-2000).]

boji stone
since 2000-08-13
Posts 62
USA
2 posted 2000-08-13 06:06 PM

this was well written.....and suprising,
i love suprises~~ good job!

boji stone

boji stone
since 2000-08-13
Posts 62
USA
3 posted 2000-08-13 06:07 PM

this was well written.....and suprising,
i love suprises~~ good job!

boji stone

BreyerRose
since 2000-08-12
Posts 55
Easton, Pa USA
4 posted 2000-08-14 12:13 PM

Thank you bojo.  I love surprises too. Welcome to Passions.  Hope to see some of your work real soon.

Hugs and Kisses,
Paula

StarrGazer
since 2000-03-05
Posts 679
Texas
5 posted 2000-08-15 10:27 PM

This was good, I like the way it twists too, at first I was thinking nah the ending is to happily ever after but that last line makes the story great...sad but great  
Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » Martin's Plan

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary