navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » Whispers on the Wind
Passions in Prose
Post A Reply Post New Topic Whispers on the Wind Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Dusk Treader
since 1999-06-18
Posts 1187
St. Paul, MN

0 posted 2000-08-11 06:10 PM

The house was quiet and warm. Only the soft tick of a wall clock and a dim rumble of faraway traffic hung on the sultry air. The walls were white, easy on the eyes and trimmed in rich oak, and the doors were of oak and the furniture also. Soft carpets were laid across the floors and were covered with flowing beams that filtered through crystal panes. Dust floated in the golden rays, and the windows bore afterimages of forgotten fingers.

It was a house that was lived in, yet no human tread the worn carpets of the hallway or lounged in the cushions of oaken limbed chairs. A quiet hung there, and a sense of anticipation; a sense that was blown away on a chill breeze.

The fingers of wind crept through the house and caressing walls and furniture and then faded as it was lost on the paths of memory. With the departure of the wind the quiet was broken and there was heard hollow footsteps.

A gray shape passed through the empty rooms and golden rays of daylight and its form could be discerned as female. Frail she was in body, and her stature was small, but that form brimmed with strength and in the eyes of a few she would ever be tall and fair.

She walked amid the furniture and ever her hands reached out to touch the furniture, or the wall or some piece of woodwork. From room to room she walked thus and though her feet fell with a soft sound, no dust was raised.

Her sorrowful eyes fell upon everything and upon her face were many lines of age and care. She gazed about and then her eyes fell shut and a shudder ran though her. A biting gust tore through the house and all grew cold.

The chill faded and a waiting warmth returned. The eyes of the gray form opened and their colorless depths were adamant. She turned then and crossed the room to the door, and slipped silently outside as the door fell shut with an irrevocable snick.

Outside the sun was high in the sky and heat radiated from all directions, but the light was yet dim. She stood upon the porch and looked out over the verdant lawns. Then she walked across them and sat at the foot of the catalpa tree. The only one in the yard and it was laden with many white blossoms, and they lay strewn about the yard shining like pearls.

There she sat and her eyes closed. A wind came then, soft and warm, lifting up the blossoms and carrying their fragrance teasingly around the woman. On the breeze she heard the sound of children laughing and playing, and the fall of hammer. A scene played on her eyelids, two young men rolled and played with a young golden pup, while a man stood silent and happy.

Lines of care fell from her face and her eyes opened. Eyes of blue, cobalt that bore the cold of steel and the compassion of a mother. Light streamed through the boughs of the tree and daylight came again, and color flowed. The wind spiraled around her, and she placed a single bloom in her hand and then she was gone.

A van rumbled up the driveway, and three men stepped from it. They were tired and their eyes were red from tears. As they stood on the door of the garage and looked at the catalpa tree, a warm breeze wrapped around them, and filled their minds. They cried, but there were smiles on their faces.

They sat beneath the tree, with flowers strewn at their feet, and they were three no longer, but four in heart.

< !signature-->

Abrahm Simons

"Keep on dreamin' boy 'cause when you stop dreaming it's time to die" - Blind Melon

[This message has been edited by Dusk Treader (edited 08-11-2000).]

© Copyright 2000 Abrahm Simons - All Rights Reserved
Dawn Eclipse
since 2000-01-31
Posts 637
The Horsehead Nebula
1 posted 2000-08-11 06:35 PM

hey Abe!  That was a cool story!!!  Now that I figured it out... lol.  Keep writing! (like I had to say that, but oh well!)

Cassers

"The universe is full of magical things patiently waiting for our wits to grow sharper."
Eden Phillpotts
*Cassandra Roseen*

Poet deVine
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-26
Posts 22612
Hurricane Alley
2 posted 2000-08-11 09:05 PM

Wow..this is fantastic!! I say submit it to the main site quick!    

Or to CH?

Alwye
Member Elite
since 1999-06-16
Posts 3850
In the space between moments
3 posted 2000-08-11 11:51 PM

Sweetheart, this is incredible...your words have touched me so deeply that I don't even know what to say.  Powerful, poignant, sorrowful, but filled with hope...stay filled with that hope, stay filled with light my love.  Once again, truly wonderful, moving work.  

*Krista Knutson*

"You never lose by loving. You always lose by holding back."
-Barbara DeAngelis

Silkdragon
since 2000-06-24
Posts 65

4 posted 2000-08-13 02:32 AM

abrahm...  gorgeous story.  very beautiful.  i love it.  it is very poignant and heartfelt.  some of your best work, i think.  lovely.

erin

boji stone
since 2000-08-13
Posts 62
USA
5 posted 2000-08-13 06:16 PM

this is lovely, very well written, I am '
anxious to see more of your work!

bjstone

Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
6 posted 2000-08-14 09:58 PM

Abe, the catalpa tree image brought forth lovely images...just as the spirit did...

well, well done...

Christopher
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-08-02
Posts 8296
Purgatorial Incarceration
7 posted 2000-08-15 01:05 AM

Abe - A smile m'friend. You rarely fail to bring one when I read your prose. You should know by now, that you're one of my favorites. Sincerely!  

Chris

StarrGazer
since 2000-03-05
Posts 679
Texas
8 posted 2000-08-15 10:36 PM

this was fantabulous !!!   great writing!!!
sweetcollege_girl
since 1999-12-03
Posts 872
just about where I want to be
9 posted 2000-08-16 09:40 AM

ditto to all the replies you got Abe, they said everything! As always, I missed out on being the first to reply to your story  

Oh well, maybe next time!  

stay cool   (if you can in this weather)

~~Lavada~~

"For every beauty, there is an eye somewhere to see it.
For every truth, there is an ear somewhere to hear it
For every love, there is a heart somewhere to receive it".--Ivan Panin

Sudhir Iyer
Member Ascendant
since 2000-04-26
Posts 6943
Mumbai, India : now in Belgium
10 posted 2000-08-16 11:26 AM

Abrahm,
This was exquisite writing...

fantastic...

regards,
sudhir.

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » Whispers on the Wind

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary