navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » Catherine's Quest Pt. 1
Passions in Prose
Post A Reply Post New Topic Catherine's Quest Pt. 1 Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Irish Rose
Member Patricius
since 2000-04-06
Posts 10263

0 posted 2000-06-18 06:47 PM

The cold eastern air felt strangely calm on Catherine's face as she crossed yet another bridge to her dream. She felt nearly 10 years old again, anticipating Christmas, when the tree was decorated, the snow white, willowly clouds of frost and midnight approaching. A magical time returned to her memory and for a time, this time she allowed it to fill her. Upon her arrival in Boston, she was capitvated by the tall, red, brick buildings that seemed to speak of an English influence much like her anchestors and yet she had always clung to her Irish roots.

Everything was different here. The people strangely familiar and the strength from building tall and historial held her gaze.
History was indeed everywhere. The city had evolved to where she stood, here in the midst of it taking it all in.

Yet Boston was not her true destination, for she wanted to visit Martha's Vineyard. Somewhere offshore from discovery to a new discovery, one of her own. A discovery she had thought about, dreamt about and planned for a very long time. Away from family, friends, in another world perhaps? Yes, she wanted to escape to another world where the pain and loss could be tasted with the last tear on a salty wave. The first one she would reach out to with open hands.

The ferry ride was interesting, faces of young people, elderly people and refined rich people who appeared rather snobbish.
Catherine said little, not wanting conversation, she only wanted to be alone. Alone with the ocean and her thoughts. She wanted to be alone to write and forget loss, pain and sorrow.

Upon arriving at the bed and breakfast, she noticed it completely abandoned. A note on the door stating that she had been several hours late in checking in and to please make herself at home, the key included in the envelope. That was fine with Catherine.

"Good, I don't want company" she thought.

Taking advantage of the time to go in alone, opening the door to what appeared to be the most beautiful room she could ever have imagined in the middle of a place where charts and maps had brought many, now brought her here.

The shelves lined with books many hardbacks, and bowls of seashells drew her eyes, but the antique desk caught her attention. A beautiful lamp to the corner with brass handles, she turned it on and dimmed it. Overhead a crystal chandelier gave another soft glow to the room.

The bed and breakfast was nearly 200 years old, and Catherine felt she had been here before. The bed huge, with nearly 8 pillows and coverlets old fashioned, and tassels much like a romantic novel.

"God, I'm exhausted." she crawled onto the side of the bed and laid there taking it all in.

In her luggage were poems, works in progress and many notes scribbled aspirations. To be able to attain what she wanted she would have to reach in where the tears were, to find the writing that needed to be done. To learn, and learn and remember that a poem is only a moment going through you and to not be too attached to it.

She wanted to improve, wanted to so much be recognized.

Catherine had not meant to fall asleep and yet she did, it being nearly 4:00 in the evening

"The ocean...the ocean..." she whispered to herself as she drifted off.

It would be there, as would the shops and the hidden alleyways and the structured buildings that had always been there, waiting for her. She needed rest, needed sleep for in that she would find something she never imagined.

Kathleen

"How do I love thee? Let
me count the ways.
I love thee to the depth and breadth and height
My soul can reach, when feeling out of sight
For the ends of Being and ideal Grace." Elizabeth Barrett Browning

© Copyright 2000 Kathleen - All Rights Reserved
Poet deVine
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-26
Posts 22612
Hurricane Alley
1 posted 2000-06-18 07:41 PM

This is good...makes me want to know why she went there. I have a feeling something strange is going to happen to her!!    
Christopher
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-08-02
Posts 8296
Purgatorial Incarceration
2 posted 2000-06-19 02:03 AM

A nice start... go on.
LoveBug
Deputy Moderator 5 Tours
Member Elite
since 2000-01-08
Posts 4697

3 posted 2000-06-19 11:10 AM

Ok, you caught me! I'm waiting for part 2!

"We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars." -Oscar Wilde

Irish Rose
Member Patricius
since 2000-04-06
Posts 10263

4 posted 2000-06-19 11:32 PM

thank you guys, it will be finished this week!

Kathleen

"How do I love thee? Let
me count the ways.
I love thee to the depth and breadth and height
My soul can reach, when feeling out of sight
For the ends of Being and ideal Grace." Elizabeth Barrett Browning

LadySofia
since 2000-05-16
Posts 238
FL., USA
5 posted 2000-06-20 01:07 AM

I agree...it sounds like something is going to happen...perhaps relating to 200yrs before...? I too await the next chapter!

^_^ Amanda

Shall I compare thee to a summer's day? Thou art more lovely and more temperate, Rough winds do shake the darling buds of May, And summer's lease hath all too short a date. Sometimes too hot the eye of heaven shines, And often is his gold complexion dimmed; And every fair from fair sometimes declines, By chance or nature's changing course, untrimmed. But thy eternal summer shall not fade, Nor lose possession of that fair thou ow'st; Nor shall death brag thou wand'rest in his shade, When in eternal lines to time thou grow'st.
So long as men can breathe or eyes can see,
So long lives this, and this gives life to thee.
William Shakespeare

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » Catherine's Quest Pt. 1

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary