navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » My Hero
Passions in Prose
Post A Reply Post New Topic My Hero Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Irish Rose
Member Patricius
since 2000-04-06
Posts 10263

0 posted 2000-06-05 08:50 AM

Gina paused between wiping down the tables in the diner, knowing that she would have to walk home alone. So many times she had even dreaded walking to her car so late at night. The evening seemed to offer a hush of serenity, yet there always seemed to be a feeling of dread accompanying the end of her working day.
"It's bad enough living alone, since my husband died, but to wonder if every stranger is stalking me, and the evening news doesn't offer any consolation."
she thought to herself.
The last customer had left after sipping several cups of hot coffee and leaving her a hefty tip.
Gina had seen them come and go. The kind, thoughtful customers who offered a word of two and the rude, brash young men who always made her feel uncomfortable. Everytime a motorcycle pulled up, she shuddered, knowing she shouldn't judge. Yet, the outward appearance was always threatening to her. Attractive still, she had radiant features, hair pulled back, even she seemed to draw attention without meaning to do so. Her figure was hard to disguise in her waitress uniform, yet she tried to give the air of a lady who demanded and deserved respect.
The last table was finished, and she reached for her purse. "Where are the keys to my apartment?" she fumbled for them and headed quickly for the door of the diner, anxious to reach home."Why isn't my car ready, I need it, I depend on it, I'll never make it, I'll should have asked Stan to stay with me, and he offered to."
Gina had been avoiding Stan, he had an air of danger, and yes, he was a biker. Feeling snobbish for entertaining the idea of not allowing herself to get to know the man inside. She drew in a breath and headed for the night, wanting only to run to the safety of her house.
Two blocks down the road she heard an engine, a roar,  and thought to herself "no, Gina, this is simply your imagination."
Her steps quickened, faster now, and not looking back."
It was to no avail. Someone was directly behind her and she could almost hear the whisper of his voice upon the back of her neck and goose bumps drew a cold chill upon her skin.
"God, no, please don't hurt me, please" she screamed and turned around.
To her amazement Stan had followed her and held out his hand to her, offering to pull her up behind him on the seat.

"No lady should be out walking these streets alone, please let me take you home. Is this what I have to do for a date?" he smiled.
She gladly took his rough calloused hand and held on as tightly as she could to his leather and the smell of him was...ummm not bad.
"Stan you followed me?" she spoke softly.
"Hell yes, I do every evening, don't you know that? Ever since I had my engine worked on, well, you only hear me now."
They arrived safely at her door and she looked down blushing, feeling totally undone.
"Stan, I..uh, well, thank you so much."
"Don't worry, I don't expect a kiss, just promise me one thing."
he asked
"What is it"
"Give me a chance?" he asked.
"You got it Mister" and Gina knew she would dream of a hero she had seen everyday and didn't recognize until it was dark enough for his light to shine.
< !signature-->

"How do I love thee? Let me count the ways.
I love thee to the depth and breadth and height
My soul can reach, when feeling out of sight
For the ends of Being and ideal Grace." Elizabeth Barrett Browning

[This message has been edited by Irish Rose (edited 06-05-2000).]

© Copyright 2000 Kathleen - All Rights Reserved
Janet Marie
Member Laureate
since 2000-01-22
Posts 18554

1 posted 2000-06-06 04:05 PM

great tale with a true message,
we may miss out on a prince judging him a frog too quickly
this was well written, held my interest
right from the start.
jm

amazon_lover
since 2000-04-09
Posts 491
Dublin,Ireland
2 posted 2000-06-06 06:03 PM

Hi
Irish rose I loved this. Its beautiful and shows a lot of commitment.

Sincerely
A_L

Irish Rose
Member Patricius
since 2000-04-06
Posts 10263

3 posted 2000-06-07 09:49 PM

thank you for the encouragement it helpls so much!

Kathleen

"How do I love thee? Let
me count the ways.
I love thee to the depth and breadth and height
My soul can reach, when feeling out of sight
For the ends of Being and ideal Grace." Elizabeth Barrett Browning

jfreak
since 1999-06-17
Posts 306
Yuma, AZ, USA
4 posted 2000-06-08 05:01 PM

Hey Ro...say! *wink wink*,

I just love the Erin Brokovich feel this story has.  I could just see Julia Roberts there walking home and her boyfriend, in the movie, the biker dude playing Stan.  Of course Erin was much stronger and would have kicked Stan's tail had he snuck up on her like that, but still to me it had that kind of feel to it.  Hopefully Gina gets several million dollars in the end.  WooHOO...wouldn't that be great.

Jfreak

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » My Hero

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary