navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » Don't Leave Me
Passions in Prose
Post A Reply Post New Topic Don't Leave Me Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Irish Rose
Member Patricius
since 2000-04-06
Posts 10263

0 posted 2000-06-03 08:22 PM

She heard her mother's voice "You are so precious, please don't worry about me, I know I can always count  on you, no matter what? such a soft, sweet sound, spoken in hesitation, spoken with such distraught. Someone was leaving her and the magnitude of it pushed down until it sent her to a deep well, a well of impending grief.

The only person who never disappointed her, never failed her. A voice calling "Rise and Shine" or sometimes speaking in a German phrase learned in years past, saying "Sleep Good"
"Mom, I don't know German, stop that" she would laugh.

Regarding moments that seemed to turn into seconds, fresh sheets from a clothesline, towels whipped in the air and folded with love and care. Laundry folded, pressed and waiting for her on the foot of the bed as she rushed in from school. A woman standing at the window, peering out making certain the school bus had arrived.

"Your legs are  younger than mine, would you go down to the basement and bring the laundry upstairs" her mother's voice again rang out.

"Maybe no one will see me eating this lemon maringue pie until it's too late" she thought. Her mother knew she would dig in and there were always two pies.
"You have to cut the giblets up and then put them into the gravy and you must stir it slowly so the flour doesn't clump" her mother said softly.

The gravy somehow never came out just right, but her mother always made it to perfection. Lucily, no one ever knew of her failure. Every Thanksgiving was wonderful. Dressing would would comfort you with each bite, sage just right, and pumpkin pie in cinnamon delight.

"Charles, you have to give her some space, you're smothering her. She's going to grow up, it's time"

"Mom will stand up for me, she will, she will, she'll get stronger and so will I and together we can do anything."

In shame, she fell further into a well, remembering the times being ashamed of her mother for closing herself up inside of the home. "Mom, why don't you go out, get a job, other moms do"

"Why did I talk to her that way"

"Why didn't I take her more places?"

"Why didn't I stand up for HER?"

She should have seen her for more than who she was, taken her by the hand and made her get out of the house!

Now, she's gone, and it's been 28 years and she can still smell the turkey and the dressing. She can still see her mother wrapping Christmas presents, or carving our the pumpkins or coloring the Easter eggs. Oh, the candy always by the front door, and the house always immaculate, everything in it's place, perfect, and to me she was."

An eclipse covered her heart when her mother left her, yet she knows the sunshine lives still.

< !signature-->

Kathleen
indy31_99@yahoo.com

[This message has been edited by Irish Rose (edited 06-03-2000).]

© Copyright 2000 Kathleen - All Rights Reserved
Jana Tovey
since 2000-05-30
Posts 257
USA
1 posted 2000-06-04 11:40 AM

This was so touching.  Sad, but touchig.  I can sense the woman here...and the woman she left her legacy with.  The questions we ask of our mothers are often cruel, but they have to be asked...it's how we separate ourselves and become unique.  Otherwise, we would just be our mother's all over agin.
Janet Marie
Member Laureate
since 2000-01-22
Posts 18554

2 posted 2000-06-06 03:55 PM

Rose,
this is excellent, wondeful story telling
laced with wonderful imagery and emotions told  with a tenderness.
very touching as well.
great work.
take care, jm

I think I could need - this in my life
I think I'm just scared - that I know too much
I can't relate and that's a problem
I'm feeling ...
If you're gone - maybe it's time to go home
There's an awful lot of breathing room
But I can hardly move
If you're gone - baby you need to come home
cuz there's a little bit of something me...
In everything in you.
~MB20~

"What the caterpillar calls the end ...
The world calls a butterfly"
~Lao Tze Tao~
~Butterflies are meant to be free~

Irish Rose
Member Patricius
since 2000-04-06
Posts 10263

3 posted 2000-06-06 09:30 PM

Thank you both, it's all true.

Kathleen

"How do I love thee? Let
me count the ways.
I love thee to the depth and breadth and height
My soul can reach, when feeling out of sight
For the ends of Being and ideal Grace." Elizabeth Barrett Browning

Dawn Eclipse
since 2000-01-31
Posts 637
The Horsehead Nebula
4 posted 2000-06-07 06:36 PM

That was a powerful story.  It is a wonderful thing to have someone close to you in your life, and it's even harder to lose them.  Wonderful story.

"Even a fool knows you can't touch the stars, but it doesn't stop a wise man from trying."
Harry Anderson, "Night Court"

*Cassandra Roseen*

Irish Rose
Member Patricius
since 2000-04-06
Posts 10263

5 posted 2000-06-07 07:23 PM

Dawn: thank you, this forum is my life's blood right now, I may never have anything published but people can read, and I can read fine work here, and learn from it. That means everything and you just never know who may read it do you?

Kathleen

"How do I love thee? Let
me count the ways.
I love thee to the depth and breadth and height
My soul can reach, when feeling out of sight
For the ends of Being and ideal Grace." Elizabeth Barrett Browning

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » Don't Leave Me

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary