navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » Cold Chicken
Passions in Prose
Post A Reply Post New Topic Cold Chicken Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Dom Mart
since 1999-08-17
Posts 164
Florida

0 posted 2000-01-03 08:59 AM

Neither of them liked cold chicken.  But neither of them felt like warming it up.  So they sat at the kitchen table, on open plastic container in front of them, heaped with cold chicken.  The chicken was thinly glazed with grease. He opened a new two liter bottle of cola. She dropped ice cubes into two glasses.  After pouring the cola, he reached into the refrigerator and pulled out a jar of pickles.  Peter Jennings' face appeared  on the TV screen. He turned up the volume.

"Want a pickle?"
"No, give me heatburn."
"Any bread?"
"Try the freezer."

He slid his chair back, got up and opened the freezer.  

"Oatmeal and rye. Like some toast?"
"No."

He pulled out half a loaf of oatmeal bread, took out two slices, reached over to the toaster and popped them in.

"So, Marshall like your presentation?"
She shrugged.  "Who knows. I did everything they expected me to do, but with Marshall it's never enough, unless your name happens to be Celia."
"That still going on?"
"Who knows."
"Jesus, what's he see in her?"
"Who knows."

They chewed pieces of cold chicken.  She was grinding the meat of a wing between her molars. He was running his teeth along a leg bone, scraping off greasy shreds of meat. As they chewed they watched Peter Jennings on the screen.

They finished eating.  They sighed at each other over the heap of bones in the middle of the table. He slowly wiped the grease from his face with a paper napkin. He smiled across the table. She smiled back. He reached over and placed his hand on hers.

"Well, what about it?"
"Sure."
She followed him into the small front room. She sat on a recliner.
"Peter Jennings is on Channel Eight."
"I know," he replied, as he turned on the set.

© Copyright 2000 Dom Mart - All Rights Reserved
Christopher
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-08-02
Posts 8296
Purgatorial Incarceration
1 posted 2000-01-03 04:07 PM

Interesting peek into the lives of some people here! If I may... You might want to look. In one paragraph, you mention that they are watching Peter Jennings, then in the last, you have them turn on the set???
patchoulipumpkin
since 2000-01-01
Posts 196
Bermuda
2 posted 2000-01-03 04:41 PM

I thought this piece was great, a little slice of someone's life.  I really enjoyed it, it reminds me somewhat of the kind of writing that Bukowski does, (without the booze and women) in that it lifts up the banal and makes the banal a centrepiece for observation.  Really cool.  Look forward to more
Dusk Treader
since 1999-06-18
Posts 1187
St. Paul, MN
3 posted 2000-01-03 10:09 PM

Interesting look into two peoples life.  The ending seemed a little bit too abrupt to me, especially with keeping the same channel.  Still good writing though    

In flames I shall not be consumed, but reborn. -- Abrahm Simons

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » Cold Chicken

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary