navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » Blue Coup
Passions in Prose
Post A Reply Post New Topic Blue Coup Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
merlynh
since 1999-09-26
Posts 411
deer park, wa

0 posted 1999-12-18 04:19 PM

Blue Coup

It was like the first day of spring when I woke after sleeping late, warm air blowing from the vent. While a wonderful pleasant aroma enticed a consciousness desire. Coffee!  Good old motor oil, nice and black, no decaf for this guy.  It's the chock before you start the engine to get the old motor warmed up. But before I could get up, Dawn and Shawn my twin girls came running into the bedroom, jumping on the soft pillow bed.  

"Oh daddy please" singing to me on the trampoline.  "Oh daddy please...we'll buy something for you and Mommy too."

Right from the start and I hadn't even got my slippers on. Rather obvious the day had already been planned.  Sweet little darlings and their Mommy were scheming while I was dead and quietly sleeping. They were faster than the quarter mile, making me feel  I was part of the pit crew watching from the side lines as life raced by in an endless circle. The twins were only seven and it had taken them twenty years.  The last year for them had been nineteen for me and they still hadn't learned that their old dad had flat tires in the morning.  Each grabbing a hand pulling disparately to get the old man up.

"But it's been snowing!" They screamed while still trying to pull my arms out of their socks. " We're going to have a white Christmas!" jumping up and down." Oh, come on daddy get up and see."

"Okay.  Okay" I said letting them pull me up toward the window with a yawn and sluggish read end all the way to the window.  They were right. "What is this whipped cream?" I exclaimed while acting surprised.

"No Daddy it's not sweet tasting.  It's snow!" Shawn said not even wondering if I was teasing.

"Mm.  Maybe it's ice-cream?  It looks awfully cold." I said with a grin. While both of them looked down at each other nodding their heads no. "Can't fool you girls? Can I?" I remarked, chuckling.  Looked like it had snowed about foot over night and took me by surprise. Christmas was only a day away and everyone had made plans for me to take a run. Looking out the window I knew what packed snow on the road come down to. Ice! I stared hard and long at the smooth velvet white fluff that was ground covering and alo speckled on trees.. " Mr. Slicky! I know your waiting out there for me." I said sighing.

"Mr. Slicky?" Shawn said looking at Dawn and then back at me. "Who's Mr. Slicky?" in her special squeaky voice.

Realizing I now had to explain the finer side of winter driving. "It's like this girls." I said. " Mr. Slicky is the fellow who hides under the snow on the road.  You think it's only snow, but when it gets packed down.  That's when Mr. Slickly gets his icy fingers on your tries, reaching out with my fingers tickling them.  Pretty little things hopping back forcing me to stretch as I chased them out of the room and them down the hall.

"Mommy, Mommy." Dawn said after running into the kitchen grabbing on to my wife, Cherry.  Shawn and myself right behind.

"Are you scaring the girls again,  Jerry?" Cherry said.

"No Mommy" Dawn exclaimed Daddy is going to take us for a sleigh ride in the car." Looking at her sister, both of them getting excited, riding on pogo sticks. "Oh boy.  Oh boy!" Both twins cheered, hardly able to contain themselves.

What was the use it was like siphoning gasoline, the idea of driving today left a bad taste in my mouth. I had hardly got my clothes on when the whole family were bundled up and ready to hit the road.

"Come on honey.  All the stores close early today." My wife, Cherry said while directing the twin out the door.

"I'm coming." I said, putting on my coat and hat heading out the door behind them. Don't worry Jerry, I told myself working up the courage.  Get into the Christmas spirit and stop being stuck in the mud. The old blue coup won't let you down.

The girls were in the back caroling ho ho for the snow, let's go, let's go.  I started her up and pressed the gas, she was slow at the start.  Made it down to highway 2 and while making the turn I realized Mr. Slicky had a hold of the tires.  Me with my foot off the brake, we slid right into the street, bells ringing, no tingle ling, Santa's sleigh. Girls in back yelled, "Wee!"  Trying not to move the steering wheel too much, I finally got her going straight. Looked at my wife, and she had her hands over her face. The girls still thought it was a sleigh ride and were having the time of their life. I told them to quite down because sleigh rides scared their mother.  They started questioning their mom and became concerned, quieting down.

Sliding over three lanes into on coming traffic I yelled, "This is the end of Christmas for this year....." Ran into the ditch picked up a tree, tickled with sliver paint from someone's rear and it wrapped itself securely overhead.  Tickled a picket fence, hit a post and a goose flew under the hood. The car was choking and smoking, cooking the goose as we puttered into the parking lot. She finally went poop as she slid into a spot without a scoot. They all jump out and ran into the mall.  Me crying for my little blue coup.  When I had my sop figuring she done her last. I went over and joined the bunch. There was the big red fellow giggling with the twins doubling up on his knee. Santa made gestures for me to listen as a darling elf handed me a list, said it would be nine ninety-five each with pictures. I was in a pinch when I only pulled a five, when she grabbed Mr. Mastercharge and said that'll do just find.  After handing it to the wife, her and the kids were gone in a dash. I was feeling down and not in a rush and when back to the car.  Falling asleep dreaming of claiming down.  When to my surprise they opened the trunk. Wife and twins filled her up to the rim closed it with a shove.  Then ran around and packed themselves in, I started her up and she moaned and groaned.  Give her last ah, and we slid all the way home.  We unloaded our gold, put up the tree, took the bird finished it off in the oven.  Ate just like Thanksgiving, can't remember when I ever tasted something so glazed.  And when that evening was over and done.   I went out and started her up and she purred just like a kitten.  Christmas has never been the same since I fell in love with my little blue coup.

© 1999 Merlyn Hearn  
All rights reserved

© Copyright 1999 merlynh - All Rights Reserved
merlynh
since 1999-09-26
Posts 411
deer park, wa
1 posted 1999-12-27 02:18 AM

Can't have anything I write with no replies so now there's one.
Julie Jordan Scott
since 1999-09-19
Posts 146
Bakersfield, CA USA
2 posted 1999-12-27 10:26 PM

Merlyn, what a vivid portrait you portray here! Thank you!

I am a Life Purpose Coach who specializes in assisting
men and women to clarify their Life Purpose and then in turn
live true to their purpose. After 5 years working with the
Severely Mentally Ill in County Mental Health, I gave up the
bureaucracy (and safe, secure blanket) of this environment
to pursue my own purpose and passion.

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » Blue Coup

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary