navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » Lurking Death
Passions in Prose
Post A Reply Post New Topic Lurking Death Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Dusk Treader
since 1999-06-18
Posts 1187
St. Paul, MN

0 posted 1999-11-23 12:05 PM

My footsteps fall heavily on the damp pavement as I make my weary way home. Darkness huddles on the street pushed back only momentarily by the faint light of a street lamp. This darkness is oppressive, I can feel it’s weight upon my soul and the somber light of the few scattered lamps does nothing to dispel it.

I glance around warily, for this is not a place for one to let one’s guard down. Alertness has become second nature to me now, and my eyes pick up the skulking of the homeless and the footpad. An unclean woman stands in the lurid light of a lamp, the time of the day and her dress speaks volumes of her profession.

My taut muscles begin to loosen as I blend back into this dark society that I have for so long been a part of. This ease lasted not long though, as I began to feel the hairs on my neck rise, I was being watched. Out of the corner of my eyes, I saw the dim light reflect wickedly off cold steel, and cursing under my breath, I sidestepped stealthily into an alley and drew my dagger silently.

I pressed myself against the harsh brick walls and waited for the assassin to come. I gripped the dagger tightly until the steel wire wrapping the hilt dug fiercely into my flesh as I sunk into the depths of the shadow.

I had not long to wait before the man moved into the alley with a liquid grace that marked him as one that followed my trade. An assassin was he.

As he made his way step by careful step down the alley I kept myself stone still and did not even chance a breath. He slipped down the alley and had left himself open to a deadly lightning strike, or giving me a chance to flee. I never accept anything temporary, and a dead man isn’t a problem, so with serpentine speed I struck. I sliced his throat and felt his life water flow over my hand and down his chest, as I shivered excitedly. I gave his face one disgusted look, and saw that strangely his eyes were yellow before I threw his corpse in the gutter and carried on.

Calmly I wiped the assassin’s blood onto his own black doublet and began my way home with a new spring to my step. I entered my house on the limits of town and slid the strong iron bolt home, and with a practiced motion of my foot slipped the floor bolt down too.

I surveyed my house with a professional eye and saw nary a thing that had been misplaced since I had last been here. This being taken care of I slipped wearily into bed and was soon embraced by the gentle arms of slumber.

I opened my eyes and saw before me a being with gossamer wings and shrouded in light. The being had a startling resemble to an angel, but the very thought was preposterous. Though it’s deep, soulful eyes were piercing me to the soul, compassion and a seething anger impossibly seen in those eyes simultaneously. It rose its hand imperiously and raised its voice, “Foul human, you have but one chance to repent or your life of death and misery will betray you finally to the House of the Dead.”

I shouted my vehemence at even the idea of repenting anything. The gossamer-winged being gestured angrily and my world went black.

Sound. What is that? My eyes snap open as the dagger plunges towards my breast, I make as to roll to the side but the dagger catches me squarely in the chest burying into my vitals, and as my eyes flutter and my life seeps away, the yellow-eyed assassin stands over me. His eyes burn with a righteous light and then my eyes close as I had closed so many others’.

------------------
"'Cause there's a hunger, a longing to escape, from the life I live when I'm awake" - Creed - "Higher"

[This message has been edited by Dusk Treader (edited 11-29-1999).]

© Copyright 1999 Abrahm Simons - All Rights Reserved
Christopher
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-08-02
Posts 8296
Purgatorial Incarceration
1 posted 1999-11-23 12:41 PM

Chilling tale here... I liked the ending, though I must say that I wasn't "too" surprised!
Maverick Wolf
since 1999-11-13
Posts 94
Scandia, MN
2 posted 1999-11-23 09:52 PM

I must agree with Christopher's idea here. I liked the writing, and the tale was quite creepy, but the ending was predictable. Not that the ending was bad, it was just predictable.
Alwye
Member Elite
since 1999-06-16
Posts 3850
In the space between moments
3 posted 1999-11-24 09:06 PM

I enjoyed this a lot, Abrahm! Wonderful, descriptive, thorough writing, as always, my friend. As for a predictable ending, they wouldn't be so popular if it didn't work, would they? As much as people say they want something new, they find comfort in having an idea about what will happen. Awesome work, my friend.

------------------
*Krista Knutson*

"If my heart had wings, I would fly to you and lie beside you as you dream....." ~Faith Hill: If My Heart Had Wings~

Ruby dagger
since 1999-08-01
Posts 76
Wyoming, MN, U.S.A
4 posted 1999-11-24 11:43 PM

Great story! Assasins are the best! it was very descriptive, I love how you described the setting so well.

------------------
Luv ya

Kelly

I'm no different than the average girl, my dreams wrap around the world. -Rebecca Lynn Howard

Dusk Treader
since 1999-06-18
Posts 1187
St. Paul, MN
5 posted 1999-11-25 01:19 AM

Thank you all for you kind comments I'll try and be unpredictable... mwa ha ha...

------------------
"'Cause there's a hunger, a longing to escape, from the life I live when I'm awake" - Creed - "Higher"

Deep Blue Me
since 1999-11-04
Posts 396
By a big lake
6 posted 1999-11-29 05:07 PM

Enjoyed the rewind at the end. I was glued.

DB

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » Lurking Death

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary