navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » CT: How the internet has effected my poetry.
Passions in Prose
Post A Reply Post New Topic CT: How the internet has effected my poetry. Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Christopher
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-08-02
Posts 8296
Purgatorial Incarceration

0 posted 1999-08-28 02:52 AM

You may notice in the title, that I used "effected," as opposed to "affected." It was intentional.
I'm not sure that it(the internet) in and of itself has affected my poetry.
In reality, I am more of a prose writer.
My life's ambition, is to be paid enough to be able to write "stories" full time. It would be better than winning the lottery as far as I'm concerned. The only time I am ever 100% happy, is when I am writing.
However, as with all things in life, there must be a balance. Poetry is part of my balance. But it has always ever, only been a minor player in my writing.
When I was in high school, I wrote a lot of poetry, (no you can't see it, I'm too ashamed!) At the time, my muse didn't consider me quite ready to attack the demon called "novel." For those of you who are, or have written full-length books, you know wherefore I speak. I can bust out a short story in no time flat. But to write an entire book, well it's nowhere near as easy.
So after I left HS, my poetry all but faded away, magically appearing here and there, in the places you'd least expect it. So, I'd jot it down on a napkin, or integrate it into my stories. But I never took it seriously.
Somwhere along the way though, I made a life decision. It was somewhat like a resolution. My goal became to positively affect at least one person's life each day. But let me tell you, that is not necessarily the easiest thing to do.
I decided to try it with what I feel I know the best, with words.
So I got on the internet, (a most wonderful and terrible beast,) and found a place to post poetry for others to read. I hoped that in this way, I would be able to bring a smile to someone's face, or make them think a little, or sometimes, even grab for a dictionary!
It was like a bunch of dogs pissing on the carpet, then searching for praise. It was anything but a healthy outlet for what I felt. It wasn't so much a forum as a battleground for bad verse, and poor grammar, mixed with paradoxical thoughts and unrecognizable meaning. (IE: The bog,cat green, pulls my hair, long and breezy. -Honest, that was a poem there!) It almost made me give up on using the internet as an outlet.
But then somehow I managed to stumble upon PIP. I'm still not sure how it happened, (though I think my guardian angel might have had something to do with it!)
Anyway, this was about the same time, that my poetry was effected. And I use it that way, because all of a sudden, I was poeticaly inspired. I won't list the names of the people who inspired me the most, because I don't want to leave anyone out. In a way, everyone has inspired me.
Now, I find myself thinking in verse all the time. I see poetic symbolism in every breeze and every statement. It has brought a new breath to my lungs, and made me look at the world a little differently once more. (Even though it never shows in the depressing tales I write!)
So how has the internet affected my poetry? Not at all, but the effect was amazing!
Thank you all for your inspiration, and to you DE for allowing me a chance to babble!

------------------
I believe in the sand beneath my toes.
The beach gives a feeling, an earthy feeling.
I believe in the faith that grows.
-Stephan Jenkins-

[This message has been edited by Christopher (edited 08-28-99).]

© Copyright 1999 C.G. Ward - All Rights Reserved
DreamEvil
Member Elite
since 1999-06-22
Posts 2396

1 posted 1999-08-28 07:11 AM

Posts like this are way more than thanks enough. Very well written, though I expect nothing less.

------------------
Shall I indulge in flights of fancy hampered by clipped wings?
DreamEvil©

Nicole
since 1999-06-23
Posts 1835
Florida
2 posted 1999-08-29 12:24 PM

Excellently said!

------------------
"Grief can take care of itself, but to get the full value of joy you must have somebody to divide it with." *Mark Twain*

Severn
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-07-17
Posts 7704

3 posted 1999-09-01 02:11 AM

You think that was bad poetry? Hows this:
'In Madrid it's 40 degrees
and birds are falling out of trees.'
Now THAT is sad. (This got published btw)
Shaking head. Great writing - like DreamEvil I expect nothing less.

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » CT: How the internet has effected my poetry.

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary