navwin » Discussion » Q & A » Advice on poetry
Q & A
Post A Reply Post New Topic Advice on poetry Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
4EvrSearching
Unregistered
Posts 1

0 posted 2000-07-06 12:45 PM

I have fallen for one of my closest friends. Unfortunetly she is not interested right now. She loves poetry, and I consider myself a pretty good writer. My problem is, I want to write her something to really express my feelings, but whenever I think about her. I cannot get the words to come to the paper. Any Advice?

© Copyright 2000 4EvrSearching - All Rights Reserved
Nan
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-20
Posts 21191
Cape Cod Massachusetts USA
1 posted 2000-07-06 04:20 PM

Take a deep breath - and then take another....

You're not on a time schedule here - If you give your brain just a little space to let the right words in - you'd be surprised at what might happen...

Start with one thought - just one - Make it a fond memory - a feeling - an observation - anything you want - but focus on something -

Then let the words start coming out - Write them down - You can always make adjustments after you've written your feelings too...

The bottom line is - take the pressure off - Open your mind - just write what it's feeling... You'll do just fine...

Let us know how it goes, OK???

Rex
since 2000-06-29
Posts 482
Houston, Texas
2 posted 2000-07-06 04:31 PM

4Evr...It might be a good idea (depending upon your situation) to not go directly at this lady.  If you can write poetry, and she likes poetry, then try writing some emotional type of poetry that does not deal with your specific feelings toward her.  See how she likes those.  This would free you from the immediate thought of her and give you some more breathing room.  After awhile, if things are going right, you can begin to make your feelings known through your poetry.

Poetry is the spontaneous overflow of powerful feelings: it takes its origin from emotion recollected in tranquility.

-William Wordsworth-

Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
3 posted 2000-07-06 04:49 PM

I have to agree with Rex.  If you do not make it obvious that she is at the heart of all of this poetic writing, it may be that she will wonder "to whom does he send this?" which might spark a little jealousy, if she thinks you are writing for/to someone else!

While you're at it, post some of your stuff here...and then let her in on the feedback. That tends to impress, as well!

Good luck!< !signature-->

Sunny

~~~Keep your face to the sunshine and you cannot see the shadow.
Helen Keller ~~~

When you want to be loved, look within...KRJ

[This message has been edited by Sunshine (edited 07-06-2000).]

JP
since 1999-05-25
Posts 1343
Loomis, CA
4 posted 2000-07-07 11:12 AM

Feel the force Luke....

Really.  You think I'm kidding?  Poetry is a force that binds all living things, it is there whether we tap into it or not.  Just open yourself to the force and it will come. Yoda... uh, I mean, Nan, was entirely correct in her approach... breathe.

Yesterday is ash, tomorrow is smoke; only today does the fire burn.
JP

"Everything is your own damn fault, if you are any good." E. Hemmingway

Nan
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-20
Posts 21191
Cape Cod Massachusetts USA
5 posted 2000-07-07 01:48 PM

HEY REX!!!  Whatchu talkin'bout??

You sound like a man... hehe... Geesh... Don't you guys EVER stick your toes in the water to see if it's warm??

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » Q & A » Advice on poetry

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary