navwin » Discussion » Q & A » Did you ever wonder.....
Q & A
Post A Reply Post New Topic Did you ever wonder..... Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Poet deVine
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-26
Posts 22612
Hurricane Alley

0 posted 2000-05-21 10:58 PM

Welcome! If you are a ‘newbie’ on the forum and have found your way to this discussion, I am glad to see you.

I thought you might like the opportunity to ask us some questions…since some of us have known each other a year or more, we KNOW all there is to know about Passions and the forums…

For instance, do you know what a Moderator does? Do you know how they are chosen? Do you wonder if there is merriment abounding in the Moderator Forum? Do you think you’d like to be one? Have you registered to receive the Digital Passions Newsletter? Have you been to the main site?

So…there, I’ve got you started….let’s get to know each other….

© Copyright 2000 Poet deVine - All Rights Reserved
Sven
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Laureate
since 1999-11-23
Posts 14937
East Lansing, MI USA
1 posted 2000-05-22 12:28 PM

Well, although I'm not a newbie, I have always wondered if merriement truly does abound in the Moderator Forum. . . knowing some of you as I do, I think that it does!!!

Would like to know more about that... and remember, you asked!!!!

--------------------------------------------------------

That which gives light must endure burning
--Victor Frankl

Nan
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-20
Posts 21191
Cape Cod Massachusetts USA
2 posted 2000-05-22 06:52 AM

In my personal experience... The Moderators' Forum abounds with lots of SilliNess - tempered with an appropriate amount of SeriousNess.....

Next question???

JOY 14
since 1999-09-22
Posts 1419
Wisconsin USA
3 posted 2000-05-22 11:09 AM

Well, I'm not new either, but...
How do all these wonderful moderators we have here get chosen or should I say have gotton chosen?  

Joy

Poet deVine
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-26
Posts 22612
Hurricane Alley
4 posted 2000-05-23 12:51 PM

Why don't I send them all a message asking to let them 'tell their story'...that way we can get everyone's first hand account of the 'big selection'.....and I'll come back and edit this with my story..

I will tell you that a commmitment to the Philosophy of Passions in Poetry is one of the factors in being chosen.

Christopher
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-08-02
Posts 8296
Purgatorial Incarceration
5 posted 2000-05-23 02:38 PM

Well, except for me... I just kinda snuck in when no one was looking. I pretended to be nice until it was too late for them to ditch me.  
X Angel
since 1999-11-07
Posts 1521
Oregon
6 posted 2000-05-23 03:02 PM

I knew Nan from the dark ages back on another poetry site, and then I met Ron and was very impressed...came over and test drove the forum and fell in love (with THE SITE). Contrary to the way some people feel, I really enjoy the moderated aspect of the forums, because it keeps people accountable and nice (now go play nice kids!). That was 6/27/99, and I used to post under the alias IsabelleSkye, now I use my real nick
}X{Angel}X{, so my time here looks like less than it really is . I have often wondered why Nan would want me as a moderator, and then Ron LOL, but so far I still got the job eh? (Looking around rather nervously).
I don't see it as any sort of *power* but as a helper job, some people are absolutely natural at it too! They have a wonderful personality that makes them ideal for this position. It is a position that should never be abused or used for personal gain in any way (like lording it over people..but I've never seen any of our moderators do that anyways ).
I enjoy being a moderator cuz it's like being part of a family, and yes silliNess always abounds in the MF, BUT when those suicide poems etc get posted everybody gets serious so fast!
Thanks for the idea PdV
~Heather

"Our life, exempt from public haunt, finds tongues in trees, books in the running brooks, sermons in stones, and good in everything."
--William Shakespeare

Nan
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-20
Posts 21191
7 posted 2000-05-23 07:13 PM

I have to reiterate what PdV says...

Commitment to the philosophies of Passions is without a doubt, the single most important factor.  Moderators have to believe in the standards we maintain around here... Of course, I don't think that's too hard.  Fairness and integrity are really all it's about.

It's important to note that there are several people that we'd love to see as moderators who prefer not to hold that position.  Conversely, there must be exponentially more people that we don't know about who would like to be considered.  The final appointments, of course, are always made by Ron..

Hopefully this thread will pull some of you out of the woodwork!!!....

epoet
since 2000-05-11
Posts 291
grand rapid,MI, usa
8 posted 2000-05-23 08:30 PM

what is the difference between a member and a member emeritus?  also, when will we be able to submit poetry to be published again?  would love to be a resident poet and recieve your newsletter, how do i sign up?

P. J. Kotrch
carpe diem
A soul once touched is a soul once blessed by love

Nan
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-20
Posts 21191
9 posted 2000-05-23 09:41 PM

Hi epoet...

You asked a lot in those two short lines...      

We go from New Member (fewer than 10 posts) to Junior Member (fewer than 50 poets) to Member (more than 50) to Senior Member (more than 500) to Member Emeritus (2000 posts) - That's the last report I know of, anyway... Is that still right, Ron???

You can submit your poems for permanent posting on the main site directly from your forum posts, once you've reached 100 total posts (combined originating and comments).

You can sign up for the FREE NEWSLETTER here...      

[This message has been edited by Nan (edited 05-23-2000).]

Severn
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-07-17
Posts 7704

10 posted 2000-05-24 03:15 AM

Well - I am very very new at the Moderator thing...like a week!

But I have been at Passions for...wow - nearly a year now...and I consider this place my second home.

I co-moderate the English Forum with Chris and I guess I was approached to do so because I spend a lot of time there (and like to think I know what I'm talking about - HAHAHAAAAA...)

K

Sudhir Iyer
Member Ascendant
since 2000-04-26
Posts 6943
Mumbai, India : now in Belgium
11 posted 2000-05-24 12:38 PM

Hi,
(Following the last question from epoet)
I have about 300+ posts in all so far. Now the question is how do I get to post one of my poems for permanent posting on the main site?

How do I become a resident poet?

Thanks in advance ,
Regards, Sudhir.

Life is like a painting,
That in an art gallery is left hanging,
Though many come just to look at it,
A very few actually come to enjoy it.

ESP
Member Elite
since 2000-01-25
Posts 2556
Floating gently on a cloud....
12 posted 2000-05-24 12:39 PM

Well, I am not so very new anymore....but I do have one question. How do all the moderators chosen match their positions so perfectly? They all do such a great job....just curious who is the "match-maker" between forum and moderator?

Love and hugs,
Lizzie

"Poetry is the true expression of my soul, it is my ultimate means of communication. It is my rainbow of delight."

Nan
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-20
Posts 21191
13 posted 2000-05-24 10:08 PM

Sudhir - On the bar at the top of your post there is a row of icons. One of them is a yellow envelope with a blue arrow on it. Click on that, and it will take you to the submission page.

Lizzie - Ron chooses carefully among the people who'd like to be moderators - making sure they believe in his philosophies and will represent Passions accordingly.  All final Passions decisions are his...

eMoTiOnS oVerLoAd
since 2000-05-28
Posts 10

14 posted 2000-05-28 04:36 AM

hello everyone! im veryyyy new ...actually i just found this today.
well as some of you might have noticed i already threw in a few replys...i love writing poetry...i love putting my input in everything...giving advice...and all that other good stuff lollollol.
ok well i just thought i'd say hi! =)

*veronika*

p.s. if anyone could take the time out to tell me a little about the forums...i would really appreciate it...thank you =)

Kit McCallum
Administrator
Member Laureate
since 2000-04-30
Posts 14774
Ontario, Canada
15 posted 2000-05-29 11:04 AM

Hi everyone .. thanks for starting the discussion Poet Devine.  I promised I'd start exploring some of the other forums, and I've been meandering about of late.  

You've built a wonderful world here, and as I said to Nan not long ago, I watched and admired from a'far for a very long time.  I was always amazed that my meager 5 posts to Ron's main site back in March 99 continued to generate such wonderful direct e-mails from so many unknown sources reading poetry from the main site.  They would always start my day with such a smile ... now I find I'm receiving that daily, each time I post to the forums. What a wonderful "home" for feedback and inspiration.  I've written more in the last few weeks, than I have in the last several months.  Anyway, I'm rambling ... but I'm really quite impressed.

I do have a question regarding moderation though.  I've seen a few of you in swift action recently, once when a somewhat critical remark was posed and another when a very delicate subject arose.  Your support for each other's remarks cleared the air quickly, and I was wondering, is someone assigned to ensure there is constant 24 hour type-monitoring at each forum? Do you actually work "in shifts" and/or advise each other when a problem then arises?

Thanks in advance,
/Kit

Poet deVine
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-26
Posts 22612
Hurricane Alley
16 posted 2000-05-29 12:11 PM

Vernika, send me an email, I'll tell you all you want to know!

Kit, Moderators don't have 'assigned' shifts. But as we are located throughout the world, we are on at different times. We are a pretty good team, work well together and support each other. Most of us have ICQ and we are available to each other when problems arise.  

Other memebers are more than welcome to use that feature also..if someone is reading a poem they feel is not suitable, most Moderators are just a message away in ICQ (we have those blue daisies!). Once a month we try to get together for an ICQ chat..you can imagine the fun that is! We talk about issues that members raise, or that we think are important to the forum.

And though we are all volunteers, we feel pride in our position, honored that Ron chose us.

If you'd like to know more, please ask..either here, in an email or on ICQ! Thanks.  

Kit McCallum
Administrator
Member Laureate
since 2000-04-30
Posts 14774
Ontario, Canada
17 posted 2000-05-29 12:34 PM

Thanks Poet deVine ... sounds like wonderful teamwork!  I was forgetting that everyone's bedtime's are scattered about the globe ... that certainly uncomplicates matters.

I can understand the pride in your involvement ... you have all created a very warm and inviting site. Thank you for ensuring it remains so.

Much appreciation from a formerly "timid" newcomer who feels quite at home now,
/Kit

Alle'cram
since 2000-02-28
Posts 1816
Texas
18 posted 2000-05-31 01:32 AM

Hi; Pretty new, still learning......the story about granny's on the computer ya know...

How do I stick smiles on my post?
PPlease don't send me to a instructional book. Is it a simple thing to learn? Like, step one, two, three?   I want to add a smiley and a green TOOTH smiley, also a rolling smiley. Thanks, Marcy

Jeffrey Carter
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2000-04-08
Posts 2367
State of constant confusion!
19 posted 2000-05-31 11:08 PM

Alle'cram,

if you look just below the submit reply button you will find a bar that says

quick view help/ available smilies/ available images etc...

click on available smilies and it will explain how to put all those wonderful images on your post

All my love,
Jeffrey

I lie awake in a world filled with dreams,
but dreams can be so real when you don't know you're asleep

Nan
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-20
Posts 21191
20 posted 2000-06-01 06:28 AM

.... and once you understand THOSE smilies...

miriam
since 1999-08-26
Posts 323
glendale,ca.
21 posted 2000-06-02 12:51 PM

ok...let's see if i got this right...Ron and Nan go around looking at everyone's work and from what they see they choose a moderator?  Do they just email people and ask them if they want to help...or is it something you have to apply for???  I might sound like a dweeb...but really im not...it's just that this whole moderator thing is confusing. Thanks for the question on the little smiley things, i never knew they were there.

miriam coronado

Jeffrey Carter
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2000-04-08
Posts 2367
22 posted 2000-06-02 07:12 PM

I just want to say that if there ever is an opening in the moderator dept. I am available
Anything but CA or Prose or Phylosophy...not really my cup of tea...LOL

but seriously I would like to put my name in the pot...so to speak  

All my love,
Jeffrey

I lie awake in a world filled with dreams,
but dreams can be so real when you don't know you're asleep

MagnoliaBlue
since 2000-05-12
Posts 367

23 posted 2000-06-10 10:25 PM

I don't have the little
yellow envelope with the
blue arrow thingie...
Are they for sale?... LOL  

MAgnoliaBlue

Pay a visit to:
http://cyberageadventures.com
You will love it!

"A poem is just an expression of my life and heart."*CJB*

~*My Skipper Jim,
I love you!
Your Lady June*~

Poet deVine
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-26
Posts 22612
Hurricane Alley
24 posted 2000-07-02 09:16 AM

Bumping this up...

How about a little assignment. If you want to be considered for the position of Moderator, please respond here with your 'homework'.

Finish this statement:

"I would like to be a Moderator at Passions because....."

There are no restrictions on length!  Thanks.

[This message has been edited by Poet deVine (edited 07-02-2000).]

Alicat
Member Elite
since 1999-05-23
Posts 4094
Coastal Texas
25 posted 2000-07-02 11:40 AM

Well, sheesh...um...hi guys...
I was with Old Blue back in the day, as well as floating around Spyder's Empire and the Open Scroll.  Then one day, back last June, Nan asked me if I would like to help out Ron moderating the new forums.  At first, I declined...and then saw the Alley.  The Alley, moderated by Alicat....yeah, I know...cheesy, but that's what got me in this mess.  

I did have another name, Alastair Adamson, but I saw the influx of members and knew that Alicat would be taken before too long...so I nabbed it.

Um...dat's about it for now...ttyl.

Alicat, the Persnikitty

Severn
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-07-17
Posts 7704

26 posted 2000-07-03 02:19 AM

Sharon - do you think it might be a good idea to start a new thread for your question??

Just wondering...  

K

Nan
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-20
Posts 21191
27 posted 2000-07-03 07:16 AM

... New threads aren't necessary any longer - Longer threads automatically open new pages just as the forum postings do...
Severn
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-07-17
Posts 7704

28 posted 2000-07-03 08:22 AM

Me going to say...eh? and ug?

Ok ok..I 'lieve ya...

lol

(still have no clue what you're on about though...techno girl strikes again...)

K

Elizabeth
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Ascendant
since 1999-06-07
Posts 6871
Minnesota
29 posted 2000-07-04 11:21 AM

Well, PdV, since you asked...

I would like to be considered for Moderator at Passions in the Announcements and Links forum for many reasons. One, I noticed as of now the forum is moderated by Ron, who is probably the busiest member we have here. Two, I have a very good memory for birthdays, and I have been having fun with my Birthday List. Three (and this is push coming to shove here! I wasn't going to ask to become one, but...) I can't edit my Birthday List anymore, because it won't let me edit after 24 hours! I got the message to ask a moderator for help, and if I could moderate, I wouldn't have to ask one of you!

Elizabeth

I'm grabbing my hat and coat
I'm leaving the cat a note
Quick call me a ferry boat-getting out of town!

Jeffrey Carter
Member Elite
since 2000-04-08
Posts 2367
30 posted 2000-07-04 11:00 PM

Hi To all concerned,

I would like to be considered for a moderator position in any of the forums with the exception of two. Those would be Critical Analysis and Prose. For the simple fact that I really don't care to critique others poems and I don't write that much prose, and really don't know that much about prose.

Ok, as to why I would like to be considered...

First, and foremost, without poetry I would be a ship lost at sea. Drifting alone and probably insane by now.

Second, I figure since the majority of the time I spend on-line is spent at Passions I would be around if needed. (If anyone is wondering, I spend at least 3 to 4 hours a day, everyday here at Passions   but most days I spend 5 to 6 hours)  

I think I would make a good moderator because I would treat everyone as I want to be treated, with all fairness and respect. Having said that I don't really look at the position of "Moderator" as one of power. I see it as a position of privelage. A position in which to help those who need it.

So, in conclusion, I would just like to THANK YOU all for listening to me ramble

p.s. I would like to thank Ron especially. For without him this site would not be here and I would still be lost in the sea of the world wide web.

OK, enough brown nosing   LMAO

JOY 14
since 1999-09-22
Posts 1419
Wisconsin USA
31 posted 2000-07-05 07:48 PM

Okay..Here goes.

I would like to be considered a moderator at Passions because I would enjoy the job very much.  I could do anything really.

Except probably for Critical Analysis, because I am not good at judging the formalities of poetry.  Lets just say if I like a poem, I like it for reasons only the gods know.  
Feelings would be a nice place.  I like giving out advice to anyone I can help, or just be a shoulder to cry on so to speak.  

Also, I've been here since September of 1999 and praticapate in the forums as much as I can.  No matter what, unless I'm away from a computer, I come every day even if it is to reply twice.  Lately, I'll admit I have only been popping in once and awhile, because I've been quite busy.  But if I get chosen to be a moderator I'll will honor the duty and make sure to stick around and do whatever it takes, just like any responsibility.  

My only (well...) weakness is that sometimes I tend to ramble, but that is usualy just because I have so much to say and want to make a difference through my words and spread "joy" here at Passions.  Excuse the pun.

So, thanks, and let me know.  

Joy

Christopher
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-08-02
Posts 8296
32 posted 2000-07-05 08:18 PM

I would like to be considered for the position of moderator at Passions because I think it would be really fun to lord it over everyone, making them bow beneath my staggering displays of POWER.

(And cause then I get to chase deVine around! Woo-hoo... a secret: she wears really short skirts in the Moderators Only fourm!!!)

Christopher
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-08-02
Posts 8296
33 posted 2000-07-05 08:19 PM

Oh wait!
I'm already a moderator... sorry... I forget the "moderation" part sometimes...

Poet deVine
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-26
Posts 22612
Hurricane Alley
34 posted 2000-07-05 08:35 PM

*sigh* Chris if you were in the Moderator Forum more, you would know that I go there to change from my 'Adult Forum' outfit..the black leather skirt, red satin tank top and thigh high boots....a girl needs to have a place to change!!!    
Jeffrey Carter
Member Elite
since 2000-04-08
Posts 2367
35 posted 2000-07-06 12:54 PM

WHOA!!!!

In that case I'm BEGGING        LMAO

Severn
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-07-17
Posts 7704

36 posted 2000-07-06 08:00 AM

Oh honestly...it's not like that at all....

there exists only angelic innocence and seriousness...it is on the outside that certain rebels break out and express fictitious devilery...

tch tch

chastisement is soon to follow...

yours in piousness

the angel Severn

K

[This message has been edited by Severn (edited 07-06-2000).]

Nan
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-20
Posts 21191
37 posted 2000-07-06 04:14 PM

CHRISTOPHER!!!

SMACK

Stop spying on PdV

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » Q & A » Did you ever wonder.....

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary