navwin » Archives » Critical Analysis #1 » Elsa
Critical Analysis #1
Post A Reply Post New Topic Elsa Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
jamaicabradley
since 1999-11-04
Posts 39

0 posted 1999-11-14 08:26 PM

in my dreams
can you remember
the words you
used to pursuade
my solitary dilusion
of you adherence
to my recollectant
memory
and I'm standing
bound by men's
clothing on a requiem
of light from angels
within your prism eye

Lend me a condolence
of fevered children
above my bed
dropping onto me like
leaden figures of
torment to rekindle
the visage of dementia
I've seemed to loose
over the long time now
since I've even felt
myself below anyone
yet I'm not above anything

Abstinence leads only
to lonliness
without this there is
nothing to grasp
and existance is
reminded only by
you
who I can no longer
touch.

© Copyright 1999 jamaicabradley - All Rights Reserved
Poertree
since 1999-11-05
Posts 1359
UK
1 posted 1999-11-15 04:01 PM

Jamaica, I have to admit (as I did to Pat) that I have real problems following the gist of free poetry without punctuation. That's not to say I don't like it - I love the flow and the words you use, its just that I haven't got used to reading this type of work yet. Phrases like "lend me a condolence of fevered children" are pretty unforgettable!

The name Elsa drew me to the poem, as I wrote a short story once based on that name after seeing the movie "Born Free" - a long time ago! Lol.

I think I can gather that maybe the speaker in your poem had a love or partner called Elsa who is lost/dead? and is now desperately lonely. Am I on the right lines? Anyway the "feel" of the poem is probably more important and I liked that a lot. Thanks.

roxane
since 1999-09-02
Posts 505
us
2 posted 1999-11-15 05:24 PM

i liked this, and i will defend you in your right not to use punctuation, as i often don't use it myself however, i thought that this was a beautiful poem, with lots of powerful words. i especially liked the second and third stanzas. they were quite beautiful. the first stanza seems to stumble a bit, but i still think that it's great. good job.
Poertree
since 1999-11-05
Posts 1359
UK
3 posted 1999-11-16 05:08 AM

You don't need to defend him from me Roxane - all I mean't was that I am still too new to this to easily appreciate and interpret "free verse" (is that what it is?). I'm working on my shortcomings tho (lol).

As to "rights" in poetry, I am one of those "radicals" who believes that the first rule of poetry is that there are no rules!!

jamaicabradley
since 1999-11-04
Posts 39

4 posted 1999-11-16 11:54 AM

Poertree and Roxanne,
Thank you both for your compliments, you know I will say just one thing about the puncuation, you know, I have never intentionally left it out, I've just never used it, but this is not a concious decision, I sappose if I wrote something that jumped out to me as needing it, I would use it, I have the same problem with prose and storeys, I'm not sure why but I think I could re-define run on scentence, luckily in poetry I can get away with it. Poetree, this poem is about someone, but more the thought of someone un-attainable, so in a sense I sappose it would be a sort of loss. Ahh anyway, thank you both again.

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Critical Analysis #1 » Elsa

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary