navwin » Archives » Critical Analysis #1 » If
Critical Analysis #1
Post A Reply Post New Topic If Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Lee Benthin
since 1999-10-28
Posts 19
Marysville, WA USA

0 posted 1999-10-28 02:09 AM

Do you
Sleep alone?
Do you find
You need a home?

Is your
Heart cold?
Do you need
Someone to hold?

Am I
On your mind?
Do you miss
What you could not find?

If life
Turned around,
If I looked
Could you be found?

If love
Was for free,
Would you give
Your love to me?

© Copyright 1999 Lee Benthin - All Rights Reserved
merlynh
since 1999-09-26
Posts 411
deer park, wa
1 posted 1999-10-28 11:15 PM

Simple and nice. Couldn't ask for anything more. Of course that the kind of poetry I like. Nice.
Lee Benthin
since 1999-10-28
Posts 19
Marysville, WA USA
2 posted 1999-10-29 02:11 AM

Thankyou. This poem holds a lot of meaning to me, as simple as it is.
Brad
Member Ascendant
since 1999-08-20
Posts 5705
Jejudo, South Korea
3 posted 1999-10-31 07:07 PM

Sorry, Lee, you're not my type.

I suppose it could work as song lyrics.

You know, you may be trying for things that I'm not particularly interested in. That's a good thing. Just not sure my comments will be very useful for you.

So, what are you trying to do?

Brad

hoot_owl_rn
Member Patricius
since 1999-07-05
Posts 10750
Glen Hope, PA USA
4 posted 1999-10-31 07:36 PM

Lee,
I'm not sure where you are going on this one. Like Brad, I am totally unsure of what you are attempting here. The meter is very choppy and could use a bit of work. I like the last stanza on this and quite possibly you could expand on that thought.
Ruth

just me
since 1999-10-29
Posts 15
marysville, wa USA
5 posted 1999-11-01 08:33 PM

Brad and Ruth: Thanks for commenting on my poem. Sorry you couldn't understand where I was coming from. You know the old saying though; you can please some of the people all of the time and all of the people some of the time. . . anyway, I guess sometimes I just write what I am feeling. I wasn't trying for any particular thing, just expressing my thoughts to a special person that I no longer share a relationship with and who was alone at the time of this writing. I knew that he missed me and we both had feelings of regret over our missed opportunity. I don't know if that clears anything up but that is all I have to say.

Thanks, Lee

roxane
since 1999-09-02
Posts 505
us
6 posted 1999-11-01 09:37 PM

overall, i thought that the poem was pretty good, however, it seems like it is struggling to make a point, obscure, but almost unintentionally. some of the rhyme sounds a little forced- maybe it would be better in free verse. i DO like the message of the poem and its simplicity. it appears to be your thoughts on some bleak morning, at least that what i felt reading it. some of it sounds like you could be a lot clearer, and less wordy "Am I on your mind? Do you miss what you could not find?" perhaps if you clarified that, it would improve the poem

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Critical Analysis #1 » If

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary