navwin » Main Forums » Open Poetry #50 » Burnt Offerings
Open Poetry #50
Post A Reply Post New Topic Burnt Offerings Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Michael
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-08-13
Posts 7666
California

0 posted 2020-07-18 10:50 PM

Burnt Offerings

Burnt offerings, the shadow sings.
Ashes drift in the dark.
One can’t control a wayward soul,
So oft’ misses the mark.

To await death, to count each breath;
Contempt beheld a throne.
A sorry way to pass the day,
Etching your own headstone.

The world, unfair, seek disrepair,
Yes, let the demons feed.
Sloth, wrath and pride all justified,
You sanctify the deed.

It hurts too bad—it drives you mad,
The everything you’ve lost.
But why stop now, yes disavow
Loved ones who’ll pay the cost.

Never move on, all hope withdrawn
Believing yourself cursed.
When loved found true must start where you
Somehow love yourself first?

Don’t even know why tears still flow,
In light darkness still sings.
Once soul divine, withers ‘the tine
Of these burnt offerings.

Michael Anderson

© Copyright 2020 Michael Anderson - All Rights Reserved
Paul Wilson
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2002-07-07
Posts 4711
United States
1 posted 2020-07-18 11:46 PM

Michael...My friend I believe between you and I we could burn the proverbial house down with our Burnt Offerings. Really enjoyed the depth of this and the inner rhymes you use so good. Thanks for sharing. My wife wanted to ask you what part of Ca. you live in if you care to share...Paul

~~To share my poems with you is to share my heart with you~~
Paul

Michael
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-08-13
Posts 7666
California
2 posted 2020-07-19 12:20 PM

lol, we might just take the whole city with us, Paul.  I live in Bakersfield, CA...what some have appropriately deemed the armpit.  
2islander2
Member Ascendant
since 2008-03-12
Posts 6825
by the sea
3 posted 2020-07-19 09:11 AM

deep poetry, the sadness prevails when reading poetry about lost souls, we have to remenber

thanks

yann

augustsky
Posts 828
midwest US
4 posted 2020-07-19 09:24 AM

Oh..Poet..You make me just want to cry..
& then feed you chicken-noodle soup.

Passionate work Michael

Sky~

Sometimes..Miracles are just good people
with kind hearts~

Paul Wilson
Member Elite
since 2002-07-07
Posts 4711
United States
5 posted 2020-07-19 03:18 PM

Michael...Loved your reply to mine. Been to Bakersfield once when I worked in Port Hueneme back in 1984. Only went there with some friends to eat lunch. Spent 9 months in Oxnard and loved it. Something to do all the time for a small town Louisiana boy...Paul

Paul

Michael
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-08-13
Posts 7666
California
6 posted 2020-07-19 09:47 PM

yann, thank you for the read and the comment.  i do my best to avoid writing about sad things these days but sometimes they still creep in.  I am who I am I guess.

Michael  

Michael
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-08-13
Posts 7666
California
7 posted 2020-07-19 09:49 PM

Sky~ apologies for any tears.  Would definitely take you up on that chicken-noodle soup tonight though.  that would change my tone for sure.

Michael

Michael
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-08-13
Posts 7666
California
8 posted 2020-07-19 09:53 PM

Never been to Oxnard, Paul, but in '84 I did fly into New Orleans and drive to Mississippi from there to spend the summer with a friend.  interesting coincidence on the timing.

Michael  

Temptress
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-06-15
Posts 7136
Mobile, AL
9 posted 2020-07-20 12:21 PM

"Never move on, all hope withdrawn
Believing yourself cursed.
When loved found true must start where you
Somehow love yourself first?"

I've always been doubtful about this loving yourself first thing. Still, this struck me.

While the whole thing is definitely sad it still has some kicking here and there.

Now. As far as your comment about trying not to write sad things, your punishment for not writing for that reason is 5 lashes! Then you have to write about those.

"How much is real? So much to question
An epidemic of the mannequins
Contaminating everything"

Stone Sour

Paul Wilson
Member Elite
since 2002-07-07
Posts 4711
United States
10 posted 2020-07-20 11:46 AM

Michael...I now live in South Mississippi having been born and raised about 60 miles south of New Orleans where the Ms. River empties into the Gulf Of Mexico. I bet you and the humidity didn't get along very well that summer...Paul

Paul

Michael
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-08-13
Posts 7666
California
11 posted 2020-07-21 10:26 PM

Jenn, I never thought that saying held any merit at all for most of my life.  I am starting to have a change of perspective on it though.  While most of my life I have been miserable, I have also been adamantly defensive of my right to that misery...spitefully, through gritted teeth, willfully challenging anyone who proposed taking my one piece of meat away from me.

With so much devotion to hanging on to this, to letting it be the sole thing that defined me, I never realized it was I, myself, and absolutely no one else keeping myself from other opportunities, and other perspective life is more than capable of providing.

For someone who has spent a lifetime faultfinding on himself, learning to love oneself is not an easy proposition.  Still, being told I am chemically imbalanced is one thing, but to give up on every possible good aspect of life because of it is entirely different, and that was the route I had been on.  I have found peace, and growth to be attainable.  I also have found the depressions to be much more manageable if I feed my brain a healthier diet.  Not sure if taking better care of myself constitutes loving myself, but I know I am a better person for it.  Not only for myself, but for everyone I love.  Do they not deserve to have me at my best?  If I am at my worst, I am hurting them as much as I am myself, so that's where I start to see there's a little more in that saying.

Now, about those lashes.  I was counting...you snuck an extra in there!  Will definitely be writing about that.  

Michael

Now. As far as your comment about trying not to write sad things, your punishment for not writing for that reason is 5 lashes! Then you have to write about those.

Michael
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-08-13
Posts 7666
California
12 posted 2020-07-21 10:27 PM

lol Paul, yeah....the humidity and I do not get along well.  Truthfully the only reason I live in California today.  

Michael

Marchmadness
Member Rara Avis
since 2007-09-16
Posts 9271
So. El Monte, California
13 posted 2020-07-22 05:10 AM

Learned a lot about you here, Michael. I like to know the people I enjoy reading. I live in El Monte, CA. (near LA) I have to admit that Bakersfield is not a vacation destiny of mine. I have been through there a few times. We all have our lessons to learn in this life and I  think the more troubles we have the more accelerated our learning path and the closer to graduation we are.
Michael
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-08-13
Posts 7666
California
14 posted 2020-07-24 10:17 PM

"We all have our lessons to learn in this life and I think the more troubles we have the more accelerated our learning path and the closer to graduation we are."

I think I graduated with honors, Ida  

Thank you for your kind words.

Michael

Starmcneil 1955
Posts 174
Alberta, Canada
15 posted 2020-07-27 07:47 PM

Such dark pain and loneliness in your words...I try to move into the light where I can spread my wings and fly...not into the sun but into eternity...great writing
Michael
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-08-13
Posts 7666
California
16 posted 2020-07-27 09:44 PM

Flying into eternity is a beautiful image, Karen.  The light provides a much better vantage point to life, this much I know.  

Michael

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Main Forums » Open Poetry #50 » Burnt Offerings

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary