navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #49 » A repost about regarding a post to Jerry about friends.
Open Poetry #49
Post A Reply Post New Topic A repost about regarding a post to Jerry about friends. Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
latearrival
Member Ascendant
since 2003-03-21
Posts 5499
Florida

0 posted 2014-02-20 09:47 PM

I want to warn everyone about Dramamine and Bonnine. My very close friend, ( had been friends since pre kindergarten)  had been visiting me as a paying guest for three months every Spring for three years.  Year before last  she went on a gambling cruise on a ship stationed down near Melbourne Fl.  She told me she always got seasick. I work midnight to 8a.m. so did not go on this trip. She had stopped at the drug store the night before and bought both Dramamine and Bonnine. About five  that Monday evening I received a tel. call from one of the woman who was on the trip with her. She told me to please sit down . I thought they had gotten into a car accident on the way home. But no, Marion had died on board ship before they even got out to sea far enough to start gambling.  I knew this woman  well, and knew she was not ill, had no medicines and no doctors.  So as I was designated to go to that town and retrieve her car keys and personal things, I asked the police to tell the coroner to check for these  drugs. She lived in Ct. her children were scattered in four different states so we had to do  everything over the phone.  I mailed the clothes for her funeral to her house where all the family gathered.   I told her daughter and son of my suspicions. No one seemed to agree. But  knowing she did not have a heart problem or any other problems I was sure. This woman was dancing every weekend. A lover of the Polka and went to a dance every chance she got. She traveled a lot, visiting her family and friends. Was very happy that weekend as she had met a man she thought might become friends with.  Finally after some months passed, her daughter called and I asked if they had a final report. It was hard for her to tell me. It was those drugs.  Her body had three times what it should have had. Marion must have taken one or two before she boarded the ship. Later I was told she said she felt ill and went to get something to drink. I think she must have felt the need for more and maybe began to chew a couple of the Bonnine. I have no idea how much she took but it was those drugs that did it. Her family are embarrassed to tell anyone what she did. They felt it a foolish waste of a good life. It was.  But I feel every one should know. I went on line and looked up Dramamine.  I came on to a site that told how young people are buying packs at a time and taking the stuff to get high.  It is scary.  Pass the word. Because it is over the counter,  does not mean you can use them indiscrimately.  
    I won't go into the feelings I have, as I lost a true friend of long standing. Often I think of her, or think, "Oh, I have to tell Marion", and realize it is to late. I did not see her that morning because she left before I got home for work. I was not notified earlier  because she had driven the other woman and her car was parked at a local plaza where they boarded a bus to go the distance to the ship.Those women could not call me as they had to stay on the ship and take the bus back to  the plaza.  I had to have a friend  take me to Melbourne the next day to get the key for her car and drive it back to my house.. It was a while before the was picked up by one of her sons who flew here and drove the car to his home. Long story. But pass the word.  Do not  ever take more than the recommended amount stated on the box. Best to all marty/ jo perry

© Copyright 2014 martyjo - All Rights Reserved
JerryPat2
Member Laureate
since 2011-02-06
Posts 16975
South Louisiana
1 posted 2014-02-20 10:09 PM

Drugs are drugs, even the prescribed ones. Jo, I am very sorry to read your story. This abuse happens daily, worldwide. I count myself very lucky to have survived the street drugs during those two lost decades I bring up from time to time here in the blue room. I wish I could say I share your grief, but of course I don't. And I can't There is no way I can understand your loss. Thank you for taking the time to help us understand the consequences of abusing drugs, the prescription kind or the street kind.

~*~ Life is simpler when you plow around the stump. ~*~

[This message has been edited by JerryPat2 (02-20-2014 10:43 PM).]

latearrival
Member Ascendant
since 2003-03-21
Posts 5499
Florida
2 posted 2014-02-21 02:03 AM

Jerry these were over the counter pills for sea sickness.The Bonine is like a chicklet. They were to prevent motion sickness.But she took too many. Too often people  think if one is not working right away they take more.And that was her downfall.
Thank for reading that long post but it is worth passing along. jo

Bluesy Socrateaser
Member Elite
since 2002-11-07
Posts 2417
In The Mirror
3 posted 2014-02-21 09:13 AM

quote:
"Because it is over the counter,  does not mean you can use them indiscriminately".

Quite right to the highest degree Miss Jo. Let's hope this warning sinks in to those who use OTC medicinals of any kind for any purpose.

You have my sincere condolences.

...just bein' Bluesy

latearrival
Member Ascendant
since 2003-03-21
Posts 5499
Florida
4 posted 2014-02-21 10:06 AM

Thank you Bluesy For reading this long and sorry story. Few are aware about this particular drug and of s course it applies to many over the counter drugs. This one in particular I feel people just do not realize what it can do , Jo
Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #49 » A repost about regarding a post to Jerry about friends.

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary