navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #49 » Character
Open Poetry #49
Post A Reply Post New Topic Character Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
JerryPat2
Member Laureate
since 2011-02-06
Posts 16975
South Louisiana

0 posted 2015-06-03 10:57 PM

character
is electrically charged
within self
disregarding the physical
shallowness
character transcends through silent sighs
it only comes into play
to give you strength to not
succumb to thoughts improper
and weakness
it is always there
lurking, a part of you
character . . .
giving us the mettle
to march to our own drummer
it comes easy over time
and, as life puts things in our way
making it easy to
forget who the true you is
character is there
always . . .
character and you
one and the same
wanting always to be taken
unconditionally

eh . . . that is a hard sell

©June 3, 2015 / Jerry Pat Bolton

~*~ When they give you ruled paper write sideways. ~*~

[This message has been edited by JerryPat2 (06-03-2015 11:38 PM).]

© Copyright 2015 Jerry Pat Bolton - All Rights Reserved
Lori Grosser Rhoden
Member Patricius
since 2009-10-10
Posts 10202
Fair to middlin' of nowhere
1 posted 2015-06-04 07:05 AM

The English language is a funny thing. My first thought was character, as in one who acts like.. well ... you know..."he was an odd character" sort of thing. Then I quickly realized you meant moral fortitude. Then at the end I got the feeling you were saying that if you were a character it was hard for people to believe you had character. And I thought to myself how true. And how right down your nitty-gritty alley to say so.
Sooo, I may have read this all wrong... but I liked the message I got out of it anyway ~L

JerryPat2
Member Laureate
since 2011-02-06
Posts 16975
South Louisiana
2 posted 2015-06-04 07:20 AM

As long as the message you received was well regarded, Lori, that works for me . . . Thank you . . .

devina
Member Elite
since 1999-10-28
Posts 3539
Cali
3 posted 2015-06-04 08:01 AM

"wanting always to be taken
unconditionally
eh . . . that is a hard sell"

~Beautiful word, "unconditional"..when acted on accordingly. Character/mettle shines worth on life, if done just right.

Some war with honor/integrity in love and life & it is refreshing when we find a special realism and shiny heart, all wrapped as ~one inside a person. Those are the ones we keep close!

love your deep mood and can't help but smile at your "eh" near end. no pessimist are you sweetie, just a realist, I believe.(me too)

be well, Jerry!
~T

"..But a tyrant spell has bound me,
And I cannot, cannot go.."
~Emily Bronte
'The Night is Darkening Around Me'

JerryPat2
Member Laureate
since 2011-02-06
Posts 16975
South Louisiana
4 posted 2015-06-04 08:10 AM

Thank you very much, Tanya, for your, as always, special comments. Oh, for sure I am most definitely a realist, so much so I am sometimes mistaken for hard-hearted. Not so, but real is real, why lie and say it isn't.

Michael
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-08-13
Posts 7666
California
5 posted 2015-06-04 08:39 PM

Character is a strange concept.  It maybe that is it always with a person but lies dormant until brought forth in that persons trials.  It maybe that some never have it all.  What I do know is that it is undeniable in the people who do have it, and even enviable, although completely unique to them.  Enjoyable concept, Jer.

Michael

JerryPat2
Member Laureate
since 2011-02-06
Posts 16975
South Louisiana
6 posted 2015-06-04 09:37 PM

Thanks Michael. You're right about character being strange. I personally believe that "most" of us have character within ourselves, but sometimes it is hidden behind all of our "other" bad traits which we have for one reason or another. But it will shine through more often than not as we began putting years to our age.

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #49 » Character

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary