navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #49 » Suffer the Little Children
Open Poetry #49
Post A Reply Post New Topic Suffer the Little Children Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
JLHunter
since 2006-10-08
Posts 557
CA United States

0 posted 2015-01-12 05:08 AM

Suffer the Little Children*

Dedicated to my three angels, Hannah, Kenneth and Danielle. Until we meet in Heaven's hallowed halls, I pray your sweet souls are at rest. Love, Daddy

Suffer the little children, whose lives are torn asunder,
Suffer they as cage-ed birds whose ears hear only thunder.
How then, will they grow to know
The grief-filled dad who loves them so?
Suffer them to miss the laughter
Silenced now and ever after.

Suffer the little angels, born to those of poorest means.
Suffer they as gilded prizes, sold to those for whom Hell gleans.
Collecting treasures made of flesh,
The angel farmers' fields to thresh.
When sun next sets on Devil's spawn,
They cry in anguish, dusk 'til dawn.

But where do men of simple faith go for justice least?
They turn away in tranćed tears to mollify the beast.
And as their angels take to flight,
The farmers gird for righteous fight.
But lacking armor, swords or flails,
Their lives are crushed by Hell-born gales.

Suffer the little children, in whom we placed our dreams.
Suffer their aged parent, whose nightmares end in screams.
The rich, possessed of artless need,
Steal the children of his seed.
Poorest parent born of want,
Left to bear an endless taunt.

Suffer the heedless world, that spins into the ages.
Suffer the storytellers, who fill their blood-washed pages.
The mindless crowd absorbs the lies,
And fill the air with woeful cries,
While knowing that each stolen life
Will burden his grief-filled heart with strife.

Suffer the little children, who think themselves as lost.
Suffer the aged parent, whose soul will bear the cost.
While venal agents' evil deeds,
Will echo through in timeless screeds
From honest chroniclers of pain
Recording every tarnished gain.

Heed you now, and hear my prayer
For God and angels' endless care.
To those who seek to rend these homes,
The poorest lot have cruel tomes:
Writ by angels for the thieves
Who bide the wrongs their heart deceives,
But knowing, more, the Hell they harkened,
Feel their souls forever darkened.

Suffer the little children, whose love is lost to time.
Suffer the little children, who edify the rhyme.
Though sinners thefts have rent their lives,
And grieving parent no more thrives,
Still, God is waiting for their ends
To reunite what loves portends.

Suffer the Ancient Spirit, Whose eyes behold all deeds.
Suffer the Ancient Spirit, to salve the heart that bleeds.
With angels' tears to chase the pain,
Together now in Heaven's reign,
The sweetest souls He's repossessed
To father in eternal rest.

Suffer no more the children, whose love betrays them naught.
Suffer no more the parent, whose love the children sought.
Now spent in God's forever home,
Their spirits soar, no more to roam.
As families rent on earthly dell,
Rejoice the agents' souls in Hell,
The children torn from loving arms,
Now reap their love in Heaven's charms.

Suffer no more, I humbly pray,
'Til every end of every day.
I hold you now and cry forever,
With love sustained, diminished never.
Love and laughter fill our hearts:
What Heaven joins, not ever parts.

==========

Amen, my sweet angels. Daddy loves you forever, even after his broken heart ceases to beat. I will join you in Heaven's stately grace, to hold you once more, and to prove my love eternally. Sleep now, and may sweet dreams of forever fill your precious minds until we are reunited. Love, your Daddy, whose heart breaks more with every breath. Rest, my sweet angels, rest...

Copyright ©2015 John L. Hunter

*Based on true heartbreak.

I prefer to be a dreamer among the humblest, with visions to be realized, than lord among those without dreams and desires. -Khalil Gibran

© Copyright 2015 John L. Hunter - All Rights Reserved
suthern
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Seraphic
since 1999-07-29
Posts 20723
Louisiana
1 posted 2015-01-12 02:30 PM

My heart broke more with every line. The loss is overwhelming, devastating.

If this is your story, I ache for you.

JLHunter
since 2006-10-08
Posts 557
CA United States
2 posted 2015-01-12 05:38 PM

Thank you, suthern. I appreciate your kind words. It is my story, and it is all too true. Honestly, and it is hard for me to admit, but I spent a long time writing this due to the fact that I was crying most of the time. I miss my precious babies so much that it hurts to talk about them. Hannah was 6, my son, Peanut (Kenneth) was 5, and my youngest daughter, Danielle, was 2. I want them back. I want them back so bad that it will never heal, I think. My sweet babies are gone. And what else can I do but to tell other people about them? I have hundreds and hundreds of pictures, but looking at those makes it hurt even more. And there's nothing that I can do but cry...

I prefer to be a dreamer among the humblest, with visions to be realized, than lord among those without dreams and desires. -Khalil Gibran

latearrival
Member Ascendant
since 2003-03-21
Posts 5499
Florida
3 posted 2015-01-13 02:20 AM

JLHunter.I read this when you first posted it but was at a loss  as to what to say. I cannot find words to answer this post.I know it was very hard for you to write. I had a daughter who died at age thirty five and  wrote letters to all her friends.I took her address book and just wrote.It helped me to keep talking in that way. But to lose three precious little ones that you had not the chance to see grow  to adult hood is a terrible loss. Keep writing and talking about them.Tears are a release. Do not let them stop you.I feel if we do that it keeps them alive, not stashed off on a shelf. It hurts but it is real and they were here and still are in your heart and mind. May peace soon follow. Jo Perry  
Redstart
since 2014-05-16
Posts 535

4 posted 2015-01-13 04:36 AM

Hi, JL, like Jo, I'd read your poem previously and was also lost for the words in which to reply. Let me simply say that I wish you what peace you may find at your cruel and devastating loss. Though we try to empathise, your pain is unimaginable to those who have not shared your suffering.
JerryPat2
Member Laureate
since 2011-02-06
Posts 16975
South Louisiana
5 posted 2015-01-13 02:49 PM

Hard to accept such a trying time as this, Eric. Don't know what else to say, buddy.

~*~ When they give you ruled paper write sideways. ~*~

Honeybunch
Member Rara Avis
since 2001-12-29
Posts 7115
South Africa
6 posted 2015-01-14 04:08 AM

I'm so sorry to know that this is your own life story.  My sincere condolences on such tragic losses.  You have written an extremely moving poem here but so very sad that it had to be inspired by such overwhelming grief.  I too wish peace for you.

Regards
Helen

Marchmadness
Member Rara Avis
since 2007-09-16
Posts 9271
So. El Monte, California
7 posted 2015-01-14 12:20 PM

As someone who has lost two children myself my heart breaks for you. I am at a loss for words.
                                 ida

JamesMichael
Member Empyrean
since 1999-11-16
Posts 33336
Kapolei, Hawaii, USA
8 posted 2015-01-17 06:44 PM

Yes the Father provides a Heavenly home for innocent children..as for others, we go when we receive Jesus as our Savior...may you know the peace of God...james
jjote
since 2002-12-25
Posts 1088
Ontario, Canada
9 posted 2015-01-19 01:31 PM

I lost 2 babies too, got a short view of them through the nursery window, and in less than 2 days, they left this world.. they are my angels, and I know they watch over me struggling to cope with what life brings me here. So I know the feeling and I want to share in your loss.
JLHunter
since 2006-10-08
Posts 557
CA United States
10 posted 2015-03-09 12:03 PM

Hello, Everyone.

I am so sorry for the long lapse from the last thank you post to this. My heart was just too broken to allow me to visit this work of utter destitution, both of heart and of soul. I could not bear to see the desolation in words that I so carefully crafted in an attempt to ease my own suffering. I was not successful, and thus had to stay away.

Everyone has been so kind, that I wonder at the kindness of strangers. What a noble and heartfelt way to try to help to ease another person's suffering. What a world would we live in if people whom we meet did not have compassion?

As my own answer to such a question, I promised myself that I would return when I could face my own pain for a short while, so that I could offer proper thank yous. However, and much to my dismay, my aching heart breaks even more as I read of other people's losses. Children, and especially babies, should have a Heavenly suit of armor to wear until they are at least eighteen years old...and maybe more. When you love an angel for that long, how would it be possible to part with them, even if you were losing them to God?

"My GOD!" I cry out, "Why would you let this happen to your most precious angels, and the sweetest souls known to mankind?" But I know, as always, that I am not meant to know. That is God's realm, and if I could understand, it would only be because I was standing beside Him. Long have I pondered that very scenario, sometimes wishing to hasten its arrival, but I know that if I was to do something foolish and drastic, that I might never see my precious angels ever again. And also, if I am still here, then I must be tasked with something important, or else why would God keep me here?

Moreover, I truly thought that if a person could die of a broken heart, it would be me who did, but it never happened. As such, I search for purpose. Perhaps, when I am stronger, my task would be to try to help other parents who are mad with grief by rendering them some small amount of comfort, such as they would be able to bear. For, if they are anything like me, then no matter the circumstances of their little ones' passings, they would do as I, and try to blame themselves.

I am not sure yet what God would have me do, but I am certain that more will be revealed. So I am back here looking at the lovely and heartbreaking responses, and I am not forced to flee. I will never heal, and I cannot imagine that other people would either, but I am trying to learn to let my beautiful, precious angel-babies go. Their place is as God wills it, and not with me...for now. I will have to wipe away my tears, stand up, and try to be of some use to my fellow man or woman. I know the utter madness of profound loss, and if I am able to make my way through the grief, then maybe I will be able some day to help to lead other parents through that breath-sucking, heartbreaking fog of pain and anguish.

Thank you to all who answered and/or read this unbelievably painful write. You guys will be in my prayers as I ask for the ability once again to feel gratitude. Until then, I will have to run on sheer willpower. My heart still aches and seethes with anger and sorrow, but I am slowly getting better, one baby step at a time.

Gratefully and lovingly,

JLHunter

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #49 » Suffer the Little Children

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary