navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #49 » South Africa's Load-shedding of Electricity
Open Poetry #49
Post A Reply Post New Topic South Africa's Load-shedding of Electricity Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
OwlSA
Member Rara Avis
since 2005-11-07
Posts 9347
Durban, South Africa

0 posted 2014-12-09 09:20 PM

The country is repeatedly struck with inactivity
in chapters,
unexpectedly, inconveniently, like death
but temporarily,
some relax, glad of the respite
in offices,
others champ at the bit
and froth,
and some find tasks that can still
be done,
and I write a hate poem
to load-shedding.

Owl

© Copyright 2014 Diana van den Berg - All Rights Reserved
latearrival
Member Ascendant
since 2003-03-21
Posts 5499
Florida
1 posted 2014-12-09 10:34 PM

SO Often it happens here by nature's force. Naught to do but try to find another way to relax until it is over. Best to you.Jo
Marchmadness
Member Rara Avis
since 2007-09-16
Posts 9271
So. El Monte, California
2 posted 2014-12-10 01:25 AM

What is load shedding, Diana?
                      Ida

OwlSA
Member Rara Avis
since 2005-11-07
Posts 9347
Durban, South Africa
3 posted 2014-12-10 01:30 AM

Thank you, Martyjo.  The difference is, though, when it is done by nature's force, it is as you say, only "sometimes".  

Owl

OwlSA
Member Rara Avis
since 2005-11-07
Posts 9347
Durban, South Africa
4 posted 2014-12-10 01:39 AM

Thank you for your reply and interest, Ida.  Load-shedding is when, Eskom, the company that supplies the whole of South Africa with electricity, hasn't planned properly, either with calculating how to have enough electricity to supply the whole country into the future, or with proper maintenance so that many parts of its system don't break down often.  Eskom then shuts down the electricity all over the country on a regular basis (and although there is a schedule, they don't always stick to the schedule)in blocks for usually 2 to 2½ hours at a time.  If this is done in the day, besides many other problems, millions of rands are lost by businesses (our currency) a day, aside from inconvenince to residences.  If it is done at night, besides many other problems, it encourages crime which is rife in South Africa.

This can happen once or twice to any area once or twice a day and most people and businesses aren't aware that there is a schedule on the Internet to see when it is planned for their area, so for them it happens out of the blue - and in any case, they often don't stick to the schedule.  

Just one little example is that I have wanted to do a backup of my computer, but it takes approximaely 5 hours and I am afraid of unexpected load-shedding interrupting it and possibly corrupting some of what I have on my computer.  

Owl

latearrival
Member Ascendant
since 2003-03-21
Posts 5499
Florida
5 posted 2014-12-10 11:07 AM

Diana,Here in this county of Florida and maybe all of Florida can make a decision to allow the electric company to shut down electricity for fifteen minutes if they have an over load.It is usually in the summer because of the drain on the electricity from Air Conditioners. I receive a small yearly discount for that.I have never had a problem because of the short time it happens and it does not happen often.The first year I was baking but it did not harm as the oven stayed warm enough. And oddly enough I have never noticed it happening again.It may happen during the day  but I have not noticed it. A
Short time is okay but not all day or all night. Love to you, Jo

OwlSA
Member Rara Avis
since 2005-11-07
Posts 9347
Durban, South Africa
6 posted 2014-12-10 11:18 AM

Martyjo, I thought South Africa was the only country that did that!  I am sorry you have it too, but glad it isn't for longer than 15 minutes or so and not often.  

Owl

Marchmadness
Member Rara Avis
since 2007-09-16
Posts 9271
So. El Monte, California
7 posted 2014-12-10 04:01 PM

Thanks, Diana. That's pretty scary added to the crime problem.
                             Ida

OwlSA
Member Rara Avis
since 2005-11-07
Posts 9347
Durban, South Africa
8 posted 2014-12-10 04:09 PM

Thank you for your concern, Ida.  You are a sweetie-pie!

Owl

jwesley
Member Rara Avis
since 2000-04-30
Posts 7563
Spring, Texas
9 posted 2014-12-10 06:50 PM

Naw, this whole country has "rolling-brown-outs" periodically - as they call them in Texas - not often here but essentially the same as yours, and although they say you can "opt-in" or essentially out, it's a lie and they nail you when they want and give an inane reason. As you said, it's their/and the government's  "lack" that it ever happens (insufficient coverage/power plants, etc.) Our power grid, across the country, is, basically, in trouble. Much as yours apparently.

Although Kudos to those that struggle to maintain it, we, for the most part, have a great electrical system.

j.

2islander2
Member Ascendant
since 2008-03-12
Posts 6825
by the sea
10 posted 2014-12-12 08:39 AM

this is quite intresting owl, i read the poem and comments help me a lot to measure how damaging electricity cuts are, you said it we talent indeed

yann

OwlSA
Member Rara Avis
since 2005-11-07
Posts 9347
Durban, South Africa
11 posted 2014-12-12 09:53 AM

Thank you, Yann, for your kind words, and interest and concern.  

Owl

Gale
since 2013-06-10
Posts 578
Russia
12 posted 2014-12-14 06:32 AM

Sometimes it's even interesting to stay without electricity for a while. But not too long, especially in winter )
OwlSA
Member Rara Avis
since 2005-11-07
Posts 9347
Durban, South Africa
13 posted 2014-12-14 08:43 PM

Yes, I suppose so, but not if you need to be working using electricity, and not if you don't have a torch and not when criminals take advantage of no lights, and, in cold countries, as you say, not too long in winter.  Thanks for your reply, Galina.  
Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #49 » South Africa's Load-shedding of Electricity

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary