navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #48 » IMPACT!
Open Poetry #48
Post A Reply Post New Topic IMPACT! Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Namyh
since 2009-01-20
Posts 988

0 posted 2012-07-05 09:38 PM

IMPACT!

From a depth deep chilled in the darkness
came a dread rock hurtling thru the night.
It was seven miles wide and Everest high
and it wobbled with a turn to the right.

Then it twisted like a hula skirt, tumbling thru the universe,
speeding meteoric like the comets only dare,
racing thru the cosmos, mega-tons coming close.
Life on the Earth unattentive, unaware.

Its weight shifted massive with a movement
from the pull of our gravitating Sun
that pulsed a convulsion which added more propulsion
to this asteroid ablaze and on the run.

Then it smashed winds of Neptune, crushed rings of Saturn too,
bounced off of Jupiter to clear the face of Mars,
pierced thru its red dust, Moon looming up just.
People on the Earth eating, loving, driving cars.

I saw it flash my window ‘cross the night’s sky,
blazing closer, burning larger like my fear
and I knew Man was braking to a standstill
‘cause the clicking of the seconds I could hear.

Then it ticked close of Mankind blasting off the face of Time,
tumbling with his wonders thru a Space of endless black,
crumbling from his earthless brand, grains of life in cosmic hand
distilled to just the dust of Man at Eternity’s brink of impact.

Namyh

[This message has been edited by Namyh (07-07-2012 09:16 PM).]

© Copyright 2012 Namyh - All Rights Reserved
JerryPat2
Member Laureate
since 2011-02-06
Posts 16975
South Louisiana
1 posted 2012-07-05 09:47 PM

Ooops! Very close call there, and I have no doubt that this scenario has played out a few times during the recorded history of the earth and its miraculous ability to avoid the hard, direct strike.

~*~ If they give you lined paper, write sideways. ~*~

Startime1955
since 2012-04-22
Posts 1072
Alberta, Canada
2 posted 2012-07-05 10:08 PM

Brilliant...a stunning story poem that kept my attention throughout...I love it...Very well done...more would be wonderful...*BIG HUGS*

*may our dreams ever be magical*

ethome
Member Patricius
since 2000-05-14
Posts 11858
New Brunswick Canada
3 posted 2012-07-06 02:53 AM

Well now, let's hope that thing doesn't land on my favorite restaurant.

Wonderful word play and trip through the milkyway.
Excellent writing!

Eric

true love never looks after it's own interests

D.Lester Young
since 2001-12-08
Posts 1219
Austin, Tx
4 posted 2012-07-06 10:17 PM

The gravitation of your Uni-Verse does grab you with dynamic imagery
Michael
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-08-13
Posts 7666
California
5 posted 2012-07-08 01:31 AM

I loved this.  Just read a book called "Lucifer's Hammer" about a comet striking earth.  It's only a matter of time till something out there collides with earth, no matter how many different ways you look at it.  The only real question is will mankind still be so caught up in their precious economic monopolies and religious wars, that we've so retarded our scientific advancement, that we've literally sentenced ourselves to extinction.  You wanna save money Obama? Try cutting government corruption, not the space program.  Just my opinion.  Srry for the rant.  Great poem.

Michael

Marchmadness
Member Rara Avis
since 2007-09-16
Posts 9271
So. El Monte, California
6 posted 2012-07-08 01:36 AM

I agree with Michael's opinion on the space program. Mind if I join your rant, Michael? Something everyone thinks about Namyth. Well done.
                                 Ida

Namyh
since 2009-01-20
Posts 988

7 posted 2012-07-08 04:43 PM

Jerry – Collisions of planetary and cosmic objects formed the Earth long ago, say the learned ones. We humans weren’t there then but we certainly are here now if should happen. That even chills my bones Jerry. I guess I wrote this as a cautionary tale to keep looking at the skies and hope it doesn’t hurt. Thanks for spendin’ a spell. Namyh
Namyh
since 2009-01-20
Posts 988

8 posted 2012-07-08 04:44 PM

Startime – I wanted to place the reader in the middle of a world annilhilation. After several attempts at form, meter and rhyme, this was the final result that seemed to work. So very glad it kept your attention throughout. Now I know all those rewrites were worth it. Thanks Startime. Namyh
Namyh
since 2009-01-20
Posts 988

9 posted 2012-07-08 04:46 PM

ethome – So very happy you came along for the trip through the Milkyway. I had my transporter working that day. Also, if that thing landed on your favorite restaurant or my favorite one around the corner, Harry’s Hash & Deli, our intake of fine dining would be acutely overcooked. Yet it makes a poet proud you enjoyed the wordplay which I’m happy fed your enjoyment. Namyh
Namyh
since 2009-01-20
Posts 988

10 posted 2012-07-08 04:50 PM

D.LesterY – I am proud now to be a member of a writing group whose poetical works are universes with a gravity that grabs you. What scribbler of words can ask for more than that. Thanks for the induction DLY. Namyh
Namyh
since 2009-01-20
Posts 988

11 posted 2012-07-08 04:53 PM

Michael – Don’t worry! Your ranting a little is always good for the soul. Isn’t it amazing that each day Death strikes but we live our lives as though we were immortal, as if we would never die. Perhaps for our human species, it’s a needed perspective of thought which enables each of us to not lose time on an inevitability we can’t change but to focus as much living into a life we can change and perhaps leave some legacy that keeps the next generation alive and wiser than us, hopefully a small step for wisdom and one giant leap for evolution. Okay! Okay! Don’t get me started Michael. Thanks for loving this piece. Namyh  
Namyh
since 2009-01-20
Posts 988

12 posted 2012-07-08 05:01 PM

Ida – So very happy for you to join our communal rant here at the IMPACT. Strange how we were willing to spend billions on the Space Program when forced to compete with the Russians and deny them getting to the Moon first. Now we spend those billions on economic monopolies and religious wars previously spoken of along with who should have their rights denied today. Something has ‘marched’ off course and the ‘madness’ has settled in. Thanks for stopping by Ida. Namyh  
Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #48 » IMPACT!

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary