navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #48 » A poem to my mother
Open Poetry #48
Post A Reply Post New Topic A poem to my mother Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
HippinTrippy
since 2010-03-26
Posts 103
New York

0 posted 2012-05-22 06:59 AM

To the best mother, that I've ever had
I don't really do holidays, but to write you I'd be glad.
To show you my appreciation, for your love and your care
I could never thank you enough, for always being there.

I'm so grateful, that I get to spend this day with you
Especially for the ride, I know it's not the funnest thing to do.
You have one of the kindest and most beautiful souls, this world has ever seen
Even when you are sad or upset, you'd never think to be mean.

You are wise beyond your years, with so much knowledge to share
A lifetime of conversations and listening to you, has helped me to be prepared.
Though we could never talk for long enough, I wish our time together would never end
If you're ever lonely or just want to chat, my ear at anytime I shall lend.

Never think twice about reaching out, for I am always here for you
In good times or bad, I'll always be glad, in any situation to help you through.
I wish we spoke more often, and were better at keeping in touch
I have the same thoughts now about my father, and I regret not fixing that So much.

Something like that changes perspectivem it makes you appreciate the time that we've got
To make the same mistaken again in this lifetime, is something to bare I could not.
So we need to make a change, with the way we speak to eachother
We need to text, or call, or email at least, once a week one way or another.

I'm not to keen on gift giving, I celebrate in my own special way
I'm just extremely grateful to have this to give, and the day to spend
On this beautiful Mothers Day.

Joshua 5/3/12

It's not easy being evil, in a world gone to hell.

© Copyright 2012 Joshua Griffin - All Rights Reserved
HippinTrippy
since 2010-03-26
Posts 103
New York
1 posted 2012-05-22 07:00 AM

A little background to make more sence of it.

I moved away about 8 months ago, and I have seen my mom for maybe 5 hours since then.
I've not been able to make it back home.. Though I had to go this month at least once before I wouldn't have another opportunity for another 4 months ( Long story )

Luckily for us that visit fell on mothers day weekend.
I took a train in, and she was kind enough to drive me home ( 3 hours one way )

And on another note, about my father, I met him truly when I was 13, and he died when I was 15. Losing someone that close to you, especially after only knowing them so briefly really makes to appreciate the time you have with your loved ones, and the smartest thing you could do is to make the most of that time.

Thanks for reading, and for those who do, replying.

Joshua

Zall
since 2002-08-25
Posts 214
London, England
2 posted 2012-05-22 10:04 AM

Nice sentiments..

Before clicked inside I did think about Robert De Niro in meet the parents.. :-D..

ethome
Member Patricius
since 2000-05-14
Posts 11858
New Brunswick Canada
3 posted 2012-05-22 11:14 AM

Good to read the respect you pay to your mother. Many now days lack respect for their parents which saddens me deeply.

However, I appreciate this as I have written many verses about my mother over the years.
I came into this world with nothing and she helped me through the first stages while a helpless infant.

Good work and this is an enjoyable read.
You're right on when you say make the best of your time with your loved ones.

Eric

true love never looks after it's own interests

latearrival
Member Ascendant
since 2003-03-21
Posts 5499
Florida
4 posted 2012-05-22 01:58 PM

Joshua,just a note from an old lady.I appreciate that you want to get to know more about your mother.I neglected to do that while growing up.I only know a few stories and they help.But every one has a story and I did not think to ask the questions of her and my dad whom I lovee dearly.To make it harder back then,depression years, people did not talk too much about family.Those who had to, lived together, and those who could, helped others in the family. As times got better life was more pleasant for all. But on the way we forgot to talk more about the past. Good luck to you and yes. texting~ e-mail and even facebook helps to keep in touch. Good luck to you. latearrival  

[This message has been edited by latearrival (05-22-2012 07:19 PM).]

Startime1955
since 2012-04-22
Posts 1072
Alberta, Canada
5 posted 2012-05-22 06:05 PM

This poem is a beautiful and heartfelt tribute to a loving mother...you are very blessed to have her...well said...*HUGS*

*may our dreams ever be magical*

Huan Yi
Member Ascendant
since 2004-10-12
Posts 6688
Waukegan
6 posted 2012-05-22 07:20 PM

"To the best mother, that I've ever had"

And just how many were there?

HippinTrippy
since 2010-03-26
Posts 103
New York
7 posted 2012-05-23 01:37 PM

Zall~ It's been too long since I've seen it to get the reference, though I appreciate your reply.

Ethome~ I thank you for your kind words, and sharing that with us. I agree completely that parents aren't shown the respect that some truly deserve.

latearrival~ I feel for you, and appreciate your wisdom. Thank you.

Startime1955~ Thank you very much, I am glad you enjoyed it, I may be far away but I still feel her love, and I truly am blessed. Thank you for the hugs, and thank you for replying.

Huan Yi~ I have had a few mother figures, but that line was more specifically meant to cause a smile. And a lot of mothers day cards or poems would start with "Best mom in the world" or something of the sort..
Well we've had a tough life, and come a long way, and I can't say she's been the best mom in the world, but she's right up there.. So I started with that instead and I think it hit spot on.
Thank you for replying.

It's not easy being evil, in a world gone to hell.

JL
Member Ascendant
since 2004-04-01
Posts 6128
Texas, USA
8 posted 2012-05-24 04:53 PM

Warming the heart.
Excellent write and beautiful letter you should send to your mom.
(As my mom would say: "I'll send you some stamps...").

Very much enjoyed your write.

JL

Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul,and with all your mind. Love your neighbor as yourself.
Maranatha!

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #48 » A poem to my mother

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary