navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #47 » Life's Sonnet #52, Stalwarts - Memorial Day Tribute
Open Poetry #47
Post A Reply Post New Topic Life's Sonnet #52, Stalwarts - Memorial Day Tribute Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
JerryPat2
Member Laureate
since 2011-02-06
Posts 16975
South Louisiana

0 posted 2011-05-23 07:19 AM

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

I raise my glass in humble praise
To stalwarts who stand proud and strong.
And those whose lives taken away;
From Hitler's' Europe to the Cong.
There are other wars they did fight,
But World War II and Vietnam,
Those I recall, that's why I cite
One we won, the other a sham.
We have a new war so it seems,
This time they are here; on our shores.
Our warriors the crème de la crème
When they come for you, hear them roar.
Enemies within there's no doubt,
God Bless America! we shout.

©May 21, 2011 / Jerry Pat Bolton

~ 24 hours in a day ... 24 beers in a case .... Coincidence? ~

[This message has been edited by JerryPat2 (05-23-2011 09:08 AM).]

© Copyright 2011 Jerry Pat Bolton - All Rights Reserved
Margherita
Member Seraphic
since 2003-02-08
Posts 22236
Eternity
1 posted 2011-05-23 08:47 AM

Such a majestic picture, dear Jerry!

Your words are intense and make me bow my head in sadness, thinking of the countless young men and women who died in the name of freedom.

If only the experience would teach us something ... we should shout "never again" "never again" ..., but the path that leads to a humanity co-living in peace is no doubt a long, very long one.

A few days ago on our tv there was a transmission about the World Trade Center tragedy and Ground Zero ... no human mind should ever conceive such devastation and no human soul should ever be victim of such horrifying actions.

May we grow in the awareness of being One and destined to live in harmony.
Namaste.

Love,
Margherita

JerryPat2
Member Laureate
since 2011-02-06
Posts 16975
South Louisiana
2 posted 2011-05-23 09:06 AM

Dear Margherita, I am not nearly as optimistic about the world becoming "As One," as you might be. Unfortunately I doubt it will ever happen. I sense a little hesitation even in your comments about it that you are starting to believe that mankind cannot live in peace for too long at a time for one reason or another. Greed and hate and power are just three of the most important reasons man kills man in wholesale slaughter. We have defined killing thousands in one full swoop and I don't suppose we will stop inventing ways to kill until we build the ultimate weapon and destroy everything, throw earth off its axis, and it become yet another dead star wandering the universe.

Thank you for stopping by and commenting so eloquently.

~ 24 hours in a day ... 24 beers in a case .... Coincidence? ~

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #47 » Life's Sonnet #52, Stalwarts - Memorial Day Tribute

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary