navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #47 » Over that way
Open Poetry #47
Post A Reply Post New Topic Over that way Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
easy1
since 2010-05-22
Posts 1209
Southeastern USA

0 posted 2011-03-23 09:58 PM

Andersonville
is over that way. Here,
an old peanut farm.

In darkness, the whippoorwill
calls to a soft-sleeping mate.

© Copyright 2011 Mark C. - All Rights Reserved
Margherita
Member Seraphic
since 2003-02-08
Posts 22236
Eternity
1 posted 2011-03-24 07:02 AM

There is an "emission" of peace and comforting calmness coming from this poem, dear easy1. Beautiful!

Love,
Margherita

dreamgal
since 2011-03-17
Posts 442

2 posted 2011-03-24 04:45 PM

I agree with margherita on this, It was very calming, and tender too.
OwlSA
Member Rara Avis
since 2005-11-07
Posts 9347
Durban, South Africa
3 posted 2011-03-24 04:58 PM

Yes, I see . . . and hear . . .

and I savour every nuance of it -

and I agree totally with Margherita.  

This should be read at any time, but particularly at the end of a bad day, just before going to bed - it should cure any insomniac.

Absolutely lovely, easy1.

AFTER READING LINK
This has not exactly changed, but deepened my understanding of the poem.  This is an example of what Robbie Burns called "man's inhumanity to man" something to which no animal ever stoops.  

Knowing what I now know about Andersonville, I feel in the poem, the same things, but, in one sense, a calming progression in humanity, as Andersonville is no longer what it was, but in another sense, a feeling of nothing can change the past and there is an evil, turbulent undercurrent of the darkness of its history.  

The whippoorwill seems to me to be the reminder of the innocence of the animal world, as opposed to the human world, and simultaneously the metaphorical mourning and reminder of the past and the insistence of the present moment being what is important, as a result of what is learnt of the past, to herald a new and better future - just my interpretation.  

In my humble opinion, the poem is one of exquisite compassion, of singing a mournful dirge in solemn honour of the suffering that man put man through.  Thank you easy1.  This could not have been an easy1 to write, nor is it an easy1 to read, knowing the background.  On behalf of all those sufferers, in whose name I have no right to speak, a very deep, tearful thank you.  You have done more for them than you could possibly know.

Owl

[This message has been edited by OwlSA (03-26-2011 01:15 AM).]

easy1
since 2010-05-22
Posts 1209
Southeastern USA
4 posted 2011-03-25 02:18 PM

http://www.sherpaguides.com/georgia/civil_war/sidebars/pow_camp_sumpter_andersonville.html
latearrival
Member Ascendant
since 2003-03-21
Posts 5499
Florida
5 posted 2011-03-25 10:33 PM

Oh dear,with the explanation on that site, it  puts a whole different view of this.sleep would be ever more in that place.  Thank you.  
ethome
Member Patricius
since 2000-05-14
Posts 11858
New Brunswick Canada
6 posted 2011-03-26 12:37 PM

Peaceful calming theme in this poem.
Thought stimulator too.
Wow! I had to come back after reading that link you posted. Changed my perspective of this piece.
Thanks for the explanation.

Eric

true love never looks after it's own interests

Margherita
Member Seraphic
since 2003-02-08
Posts 22236
Eternity
7 posted 2011-03-26 06:44 AM

Such places of horror need healing and only the awareness of being One with all life, will be able to heal men's tendency to brutality. There is too much of it still in the world.

The whippoorwill's call to its mate remind us of the sacredness of life and restore somehow dignity to the surroundings. I see it like that.

I love Owl's interpretation too.

Love,
Margherita

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #47 » Over that way

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary