navwin » Discussion » Feelings » ^blinks^
Feelings
Post A Reply Post New Topic ^blinks^ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
IndigoEve
since 2003-01-10
Posts 279
Etched in the illusion of time

0 posted 2004-06-07 03:41 PM

My friend might have AIDS. Oh my god.

I can't do this.

If I were to touch you, would you bleed a velvet river, running miracles through the sodden ground? --Moi

© Copyright 2004 Imbued - All Rights Reserved
Cpat Hair
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-06-05
Posts 11793

1 posted 2004-06-07 03:47 PM

can do this... if you decide to..

been there done that and it ain't easy... but it is something you can do..and something which may mean more than you ever know to your friend....

I'm sorry for your friend.. but now is the time to be a friend... not decide you can't do something simply because it isn't easy, or comfortable..

rosepetals25
Deputy Moderator 5 Tours
Member Elite
since 2000-05-31
Posts 3076
PA
2 posted 2004-06-07 07:15 PM

You will be suprised at how strong you can be for other people.

*Alli4000*
Deputy Moderator 10 Tours
Member Elite
since 2004-03-21
Posts 3188
The World of Poetry
3 posted 2004-06-07 08:12 PM

Yes...just stay strong...I'll be praying for your friend every day...

~Alli~

Ringo
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2003-02-20
Posts 3684
Saluting with misty eyes
4 posted 2004-06-07 10:29 PM

Believe it or not, it is easier than you might realize... once you have gotten over the shock. For that matter, if YOU are this shocked, imagine what your friend is going through.
The last 3 years we were doing foster care, we had 5 kids that had HIV. We were required to do an extensive amount of research and study into HIV and AIDS (different conditions, believe it or not) and the ONE thing that I got out of it was that the kids were normal, mostly-healthy, basic kids that had this disease.
Do yourself and your friend a few favors:
1) Take a Red Cross HIV/AIDS course. They have the latest, most accurate information about the disease.
2) Talk to your friend about it. His/Her doctor will have given her the most accurate, up-to-date information. Besides that, having someone to listen would be a huge help for your friend.
3) Don't treat your friend any differently than you did before you found out. If you gave him/her hugs on occasion, then continue to do so. It is flat out impossible to transmit the virus through hugs. Play, hang out, see movies, whatever you did BEFORE the diagnosis, you can do now. There will be enough people treating your friend differently... don't be one of them.
4) (Obvious one) NEVER, NEVER, NEVER (ad infinitum) do anything to mix any bodily fluids. While the chance of contracting the virus through casual, minor contact is very small... there is still a chance.

Again, learn what you can, and continue to treat your friend as your friend, and not your friend with HIV.

Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again...
http://www.cmlb.net/ringo

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » Feelings » ^blinks^

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary