Spanish Town, Jamaica
Au contraire my sweet Rose, all (maybe most) of us did NOT bury our heads in the sand when all the atrocities you named took place. But let me ask you: Before 9/11 how many letters to the editor did YOU write demanding that the US take a stand on Iraq, or North Korea, or Somalia, or (way back in the 80's) South Africa, or anywhere else in the world where people are being tortured? How many times have you taken a stand on the proliferation of WMD's in ANY country, including your own? How many questions about the need for biological, and, or chemical weapons have you asked of your government? If you cannot truthfully say that you have been vigorously active on the issues of human rights, Weapons-of-Mass-Destruction, children starving in the dark corners of the world, racism, communism etc. etc., then you are really being disingenuous.
The truth my dear, is that most human beings, while maybe having strong opinions on certain issues, really don't do much in the way of advocating their beliefs on those issues. Is that the same as burying heads in the sand? I think not. I think one buries ones head in the sand if one cannot seem to acknowledge that there is a problem, no matter how glaringly obvious it is. Interestingly, the pro-war, pro-Bush people are, in my view, burying their heads in the sand. Let me sum up the events to date:
1. The US vehemently insisted that there were WMDs in Iraq.
2. On that basis, they demanded that Saddam/Iraq disarm.
3. Saddam insisted that he had disarmed.
4. The US (and in all fairness, many other countries such as France, Germany, and Russia) continued to insist that they needed more proof of the disarmament.
5. It was demanded that UN arms inspectors be allowed to go into Iraq, and after initially refusing, Saddam, under intense pressure mainly from the US, relented.
6. In 5 months, these expert arms inspectors who everyone, INCLUDING the US, accepted as being competent to do the job, could find no WMDs.
7. The US continued to insist that the weapons were there, even in the face of mounting evidence that they were not.
8. The US and Britain claimed to have evidence that the weapons were there, but either DID NOT share this evidence, or shared what later proved to be false evidence.
9. Notwithstanding all of the above, a minority Coalition, led by the US, ON THE STATED BASIS OF SURE KNOWLEDGE that there were weapons of mass destruction in Iraq, and without the backing of the UN, invaded Iraq.
10. To date, after weeks of conflict, in which Iraq was subdued/defeated, there are still no credible signs of the elusive WMDs. In fact, given that the Coalition forces are in almost total control of the country, it should be fairly easy to find the weapons that there was such sure knowledge of.
11. PEOPLE have died!! Women and children (Iraqi), Young soldiers (on all sides) have died! In the name of finding and getting rid of weapons of mass destruction (It was comical to see the way the US attempted to switch the focus from 'finding the WMDs' to one of Liberation when that was never the original focus. In fact, in all the months leading up to the war, Liberation was very rarely, if ever mentioned. I dare say it was not) These weapons have NOT been found but MANY HUMAN BEINGS HAVE DIED!!!!!
All of a sudden it is ok to talk about the suffering of the Iraqi people under Saddam, while no one seems concerned about the blood that has been shed, the many lives that have been lost, the armless,legless children who will suffer for the rest of their lives because of THIS war. And you talk about burying heads in the sand? What have I outlined above that is untrue?
So many think it is anti-American to be against the war. Anti-war advocates such as myself are accused of being pro-Saddam; cowards; ostriches; and yadda yadda yadda. All we are saying is that dishonesty was exhibited by the US government in the interest of starting a shooting war which has resulted in human lives being lost. A people have lost all the artifacts of their heritage and culture and insensitive remarks like "it happens" are made. The primary focus the whole charade was not realized and it stinks to high heaven!! So you go right ahead thinking that it was all justified. Go right ahead thinking that "WE" are all hiding our heads in the sand. You are still alive and have the ability to sleep, laugh, write, and accuse, among so many other things. Too many though, will never again have those opportunities. Are you satisfied? Who is burying their heads here? Think about it.