navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #38 » I Cannot...Imagine
Open Poetry #38
Post A Reply Post New Topic I Cannot...Imagine Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Midnitesun
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Empyrean
since 2001-05-18
Posts 28647
Gaia

0 posted 2006-05-30 09:20 AM

I cannot imagine,
cannot even begin to fathom
the depths of your despair,
the look of things over there
as the numbers rise,
but not the shattered buildings,
not the shattered lives,
and as I sit here at my PC screen,
java the coffee in my hand
seeing photos of Java the land,
the thousands of humans crushed beneath
some almighty shaking hand,
I see my reflection in this screen,
seemingly spoiled in the lap of plenty,
cradled in the arms of my secure space
amid mostly pleasant surroundings...
oh how well I know though,
that tomorrow my world could turn
upside down, inside out
if nature or other powers that be
should choose to slap me
the way it did you.
And if you think you are safe
from harm, look again.
Just ask those who still wander
~the new diaspora~
once known as New Orleans.

© Copyright 2006 Kathleen Kacy Stafford - All Rights Reserved
passing shadows
Member Empyrean
since 1999-08-26
Posts 45577
displaced
1 posted 2006-05-30 09:47 AM

wow Kacy this is just so touching...really makes me think about life
sandgrain
Member Elite
since 1999-09-21
Posts 3662
Sycamore, IL, USA
2 posted 2006-05-30 10:32 AM

How blessed we are who've escaped these horrific disasters.  You're absolutely right that tomorrow it could be us.  I enjoyed this.  Thanks for sharing.

Rae

Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
3 posted 2006-05-30 10:58 AM

New to our cable is the History Channel.  I’ve been engulfed in history of late, both for man, and for our Mother Earth.  It is amazing the horrific matters that have given us to reason that at any given moment, it could well, indeed, be the end of the world.

I count, and thank, each day given me, with a very humble gratitude.

Goldenrose
Member Elite
since 2003-05-30
Posts 3665

4 posted 2006-05-30 12:27 PM

This is the world fighting back..saying enough is enough....when people stop taking the world for granted i am convinced this type of disaster will be fewer and far between..we need to respect nature more and regress rather than PROgress..this word has such evil conotations attached to it..when is enough enough?..Only God and Nature can answer that and we had better be ready when the big question is asked..there is no dress rehearsal..

Goldenrose.

Marge Tindal
Deputy Moderator 5 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Empyrean
since 1999-11-06
Posts 42384
Florida's Foreverly Shores
5 posted 2006-05-30 12:57 PM

Kacy~
You tug the heartstrings of this poet with these thoughts~

We can often only watch, pray ... and feel utterly helpless viewing the devastation and loss of limb, life and property~

You've expressed the despair that so many of us are feeling ... when lives on the other side of our earth ... are sent reeling~

Thank you for this~
*Huglets*
~*Marge*~

~*The sound of a kiss is not as strong as that of a cannon, but it's echo endures much longer*~
Email -       noles1@totcon.com     

Enchantress
Member Empyrean
since 2001-08-14
Posts 35113
Canada eh.
6 posted 2006-05-30 01:14 PM

Such a helpless feeling
and yes, our world could turn upside down in a second.

serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

7 posted 2006-05-30 01:59 PM

Oh Kacy...I thought this was about the earthquake until the very end...

and now I have this huge lump in my throat too.

It IS hard to fathom--even when you're here.

I'll tell you a story I told Susan C. last week--here in New Orleans, as just about everybody is aware, we were blessed to be spoiled by our world famous music. And those musicians not only played here, but lived here, and they lived amongst us in our neighborhoods and were known to be so cordial to people that you could just go knock on the door to talk to them. And quite often they would answer it themselves and let you in too. Fats Domino even had his name in blue lights on his house in the 9th Ward. My husband, an avid collector, had been to his house several times to get signatures or just to chat.

Last week I ran out of milk while cooking supper and I sent my husband to the store to get some more. Somewhere inbetween our door and his truck he apparently forgot what he was going out for, because he was gone for three hours. (That's not Post Traumatic Stress--that's just HIM, the way he is. )

When he returned to an unserene wife, I asked him just how long WAS the line at SAVE-A-LOT?

He told me he had gone to the 9th Ward, and he looked like a confused and disappointed child when he told me, "The light was out."

Mind you, he had driven through debris and a destroyed neighborhood to get there--but somehow he fully expected Fats to be there...

I told Susan it's like when someone dies and you forget for a moment and you pick up the phone to call them.

It IS hard to imagine, sweet friend. We are here and have trouble coming to terms with it ourselves.

But thank you, dearheart.

Sometimes I worry that I bore people just talking about it, but please know that my heart is not just in New Orleans, but all around the world, as natural disasters seem to be toppling communities like dominoes.

Exhale. Thanks for being patient with my long reply too.

I love you Kacy.

Bodger
since 2005-06-12
Posts 1260
Tolerance for a short time
8 posted 2006-05-30 02:07 PM

I love your words Midnight but they live on a rim of fire, and I think you as well.

I'll have to settle for one foot at a time and if we all had the time to be everywhere in the world, how would we buy the licence plates.

People dying because they dont have alternatives kills more than physical disasters.

How many people die and you still haven't read of the Vatican and the Nazi's where a Vatican Priest used the Vatican to get the Germans to South America.

I'll stop here

If you are going to talk about disasters, look to Italy

Even now, they prefer the Mafia

Dave

skyshine
Deputy Moderator 5 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2002-02-07
Posts 3058
Beneath the northern stars
9 posted 2006-05-30 02:11 PM

Thank you for the reminder, Kacy.....so much of have HAVE so much, yet so much of us have so little....

~sky

I hope someday you get the chance to live like you were dying....
~Tim McGraw

iliana
Member Patricius
since 2003-12-05
Posts 13434
USA
10 posted 2006-05-30 05:00 PM

The only thing in life that is sure is that things always change.  Thank you for writing this Kacy, as you know Java, and in particular, Jogya, is very dear to my heart.  You and Karen are right.   *hugs*......jo
Midnitesun
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Empyrean
since 2001-05-18
Posts 28647
Gaia
11 posted 2006-05-30 08:40 PM

On any given day, at any given moment...
but for the sake of luck or the lack of it...

Thank you each for reading and replying.
There have always been disasters, always will be I suppose, and most are probably of our own making in one way or another, as opposed to natural disasters. But the sheer numbers killed in minutes or seconds in a natural disaster...that's what makes it so hard to grasp. It doesn't make any other deaths any more or any less heartbreaking for the loved ones.
For me, it just shatters my thoughts more when the toll hits 4 digits or more in one fell swoop.
Tsunami, earthquake, hurricane, tornado... all are really beyond our control.
Wars, mass starvation, genocide, gangster murders? they are all within our means of controlling, if we set our minds and hearts to ending them, we will.

Ratleader
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Rara Avis
since 2003-01-23
Posts 7026
Visiting Earth on a Guest Pass
12 posted 2006-05-30 11:07 PM

Sometimes imagine is all I can do, day after day.....but this....I...don't...want...to...imagine....and it is so beautifully written that it hurts to read but is impossible not to.

~~(¸¸¸¸ºº>   ~~(¸¸¸¸ºº>  ~~(¸¸ ¸¸ºº>    ~~~(¸¸ER¸¸ºº>
______________Ratleader______________

Midnitesun
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Empyrean
since 2001-05-18
Posts 28647
Gaia
13 posted 2006-05-31 12:32 PM

Thanks for reading, Ed.
I am sorry it is a painful read.
There was no way to make it otherwise.

latearrival
Member Ascendant
since 2003-03-21
Posts 5499
Florida
14 posted 2006-05-31 01:59 AM

Excellent kacy. I know your heart and share your cares. martyjo
LeeJ
Member Patricius
since 2003-06-19
Posts 13296

15 posted 2006-05-31 07:25 AM

Kacy, this gave me chills, what a heartbreaking write...and reminder of what our dear Karen is still being forced to deal with...God bless you, and all those who have been the victims of what seems to be such an unfair event...God bless them all...and thank you Kacy, for your endearing heart...
Mysteria
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Laureate
since 2001-03-07
Posts 18328
British Columbia, Canada
16 posted 2006-05-31 01:23 PM

I felt this I tell you.  These days we all feel the ache of our fellow man more and more, and so many are living in fear that it could easily be them.  
XOx Uriah xOX
since 2006-02-11
Posts 1403
Virginia
17 posted 2006-05-31 01:26 PM

Yes, you can.   And do.

Wonderful write !

Earth Angel
Member Empyrean
since 2002-08-27
Posts 40215
Realms of Light
18 posted 2006-05-31 03:53 PM

Kacy, your heart matches your talent in size! An outstanding, compassionate write!
You're not getting older ~ you're getting better!

Indeed, the toll that natural disasters can take, is immeasurable and beyond human comprehension.

May Gaia be appeased ~ and respected.

Linda
Flowers

Ella Blue
since 2006-05-26
Posts 47

19 posted 2006-05-31 04:02 PM

Interesting but excellent use of the word "diaspora" considering it's origins. This is beautifully rendered.
Martie
Member Empyrean
since 1999-09-21
Posts 28049
California
20 posted 2006-05-31 05:04 PM

Kacy....it only takes a minute for things to change, wheather within an individual or a community, even a world.  Makes one appreciate each one.  
vandana
Deputy Moderator 5 Tours
Member Patricius
since 1999-10-22
Posts 10463
USA
21 posted 2006-05-31 08:31 PM

good read
Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #38 » I Cannot...Imagine

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary