navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #38 » of climbers and such
Open Poetry #38
Post A Reply Post New Topic of climbers and such Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Midnitesun
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Empyrean
since 2001-05-18
Posts 28647
Gaia

0 posted 2006-05-27 09:16 PM

to reach for the stars
to climb the highest,
scale the walls
reach the peak

only to fall
(in my eyes)
for a
lack of heart,
never mind
the oxygen tanks,
thank you

and let it be known I know,
it is hard enough to climb
solo or in unity

some shall say
to save ones own soul
is the only way;
'tis the sole deed
to achieve such heights,
to climb that mountain

but to set your feet above,
to plant them higher
on the hill
while stepping past
an outstretched hand in need

now that is not
the same peak
I seek

© Copyright 2006 Kathleen Kacy Stafford - All Rights Reserved
Goldenrose
Member Elite
since 2003-05-30
Posts 3665

1 posted 2006-05-27 09:19 PM

Such true feelingshere kacy..we should all climb the mountain of altruism and shout out its message across the land..thank you..

Goldenrose.

''As the deer pants for steams of water, so my soul pants for you O God''
Psalm 42:1

Midnitesun
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Empyrean
since 2001-05-18
Posts 28647
Gaia
2 posted 2006-05-27 09:23 PM

Phil, I changed the ending, perhaps as you were reading it. This comes from reading about the Everest climber, not the first mind you, left for dead on the trail as others sought to reach the peak...as well as listening to Nakai, Eaton, Clipman, Nawang, "A Distant Place" CD, and glancing through a new book purchase "Thin Air" by Greg Childs, about climbing in the Himalayas.  
Goldenrose
Member Elite
since 2003-05-30
Posts 3665

3 posted 2006-05-27 09:27 PM

A famous peak indeed...Mallory was one of the first..they eventually found his body..

For real bravery in the face of the elements there is none finer or braver than Shackleton and the Endurance...that was living..we dont know hardship..and we just ''play''at living..

Goldenrose.

Honeybee
Member Ascendant
since 1999-12-26
Posts 5372
Ontario, CANADA
4 posted 2006-05-27 09:51 PM

"...while stepping past
an outstretched hand in need

now that is not
the same peak
I seek"

Exactly!  Well-expressed indeed, Kacy....all should take heed to your true, wise words

Melissa~

Intellectually I know that Canada is no better than any other country. Emotionally I KNOW that Canada is the best country in the world!

Midnitesun
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Empyrean
since 2001-05-18
Posts 28647
Gaia
5 posted 2006-05-27 09:58 PM

Thanks Melissa. Many climbers have died on Everest.
The Aussie climber left for dead this week by passers-by somehow beat the odds..he seems to have survived. And while I understand its next to impossible to rescue a fellow climber under the circumstances, it seems an effort in futility to me to attempt to reach the top of anything when it means ignoring someone. Many climbers ignored this man.
I am with Sir Edmund Hilary on this issue, 'tis a sad state of affairs when reaching the mountain peak is a higher goal than caring for another human...reaching the peak of humanity.

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #38 » of climbers and such

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary