navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #38 » wrapped in sage
Open Poetry #38
Post A Reply Post New Topic wrapped in sage Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Midnitesun
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Empyrean
since 2001-05-18
Posts 28647
Gaia

0 posted 2006-07-08 07:16 PM

You smell of refreshing spearmint
inviting me to come inside
the sanctuary of your breathing space,
face to face with new scents
and unknown sensibilities.

But I believe I'll stay right here,
wrapped safely within my rage,
my silent sanctuary of sage,
forgo the dream, the release
of the essence of you
in muffled cries,
wishful sighs.

For you are not here beside me
except in fitful dreams,
midnight screams of tortured want
for the scents of you
I cannot have.

For you belong to another world,
and all I have left to hold onto
is a minted dream, a muffled scream
as I wrap myself tightly
in the safety of sage,
my reality.

© Copyright 2006 Kathleen Kacy Stafford - All Rights Reserved
poettothecars
since 2006-02-10
Posts 1093
New Zealand
1 posted 2006-07-09 06:50 AM

I liked the title, I enjoyed the theme, only I do feel some choices of flow let your poem down

While in saying that, this is a powerful and strong poem to read, so any weakness of any kind can be so easily overlooked, as to the intrigue and content of the spearmint and sage.  

Most of all the title drew me into this thread to read your poem, and the flavour of the opening lines could clearly be felt as a scent upon the wind

a poet who cares

OwlSA
Member Rara Avis
since 2005-11-07
Posts 9347
Durban, South Africa
2 posted 2006-07-10 03:03 PM

I have been there, but I have learnt that rage suppressed or not, is never the answer - it harms oneself far more than the object of one's rage.  However to be wrapped in the aroma of sage is an entirely different story - I am sure it would dissipate the rage into a peaceful mist of acceptance and healing.  Now, healing, that is the answer.  I loved your poem, Kacy, and I love your honesty and self-analysis.

That "silent sanctuary of sage" really made me float, breathing deeply, all the while.  Lovely!

- Owl

- Owl

Midnitesun
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Empyrean
since 2001-05-18
Posts 28647
Gaia
3 posted 2006-07-10 05:41 PM

a carpoet and an owl
reading my word thoughts
~grin~ what an image that ofers!

That line with 'rage' in it was thrown into this write by my pesky rhyming muse and not by me.

Sage calms me, encircles the rage, enables me to wisely move beyond the thoughts that life has been unfair to me in matters of love. My original version of this poem didn't have that line in it, it just jumped in there when I posted. LOL, now that I read it, perhaps it doesn't really work unless you read it as sage being so powerful that it can 'temper' even rage. Perhaps it can. It does ward off evil spirits according to a medicine man friend, so maybe it wards off destructive evil moods too...which means my muse might be smarter than me after all.
As for the spearmint, it was originally written peppermint...and a comment made by a poet friend nudged me into changing it when I thought of how the memory of this person really was like a spear.

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #38 » wrapped in sage

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary