navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #36 » Devotion
Open Poetry #36
Post A Reply Post New Topic Devotion Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
J. K. Mitchell
since 2002-01-12
Posts 311
GA

0 posted 2005-08-02 01:12 PM

"I can't promise you tomorrow
I can only give you today
Tomorrow is not guarenteed
But my devotion is this day

I could tell you pretty lies
That would only hurt you in the end
I can't do that so please be contented with my today devotion
And having me as your friend

I can't let you walk away
Knowing this thing called us is good
Call me selfish if you have to
I just have to make my today devotion by you understood."

I listened to his words
As tears streamed from my eyes
He only promised me today
But who knows what the future holds inside

He could give me today
Maybe even tomorrow
I'll keep on hoping
I won't claim any sorrow

© Copyright 2005 Jacqueline Mitchell - All Rights Reserved
LeeJ
Member Patricius
since 2003-06-19
Posts 13296

1 posted 2005-08-02 01:42 PM

this was beautiful but sad...and struck a chord...as I've heard this...from a man...I was very much in love with...they can never promise you more then today, and actually think they're doing you a favor by telling you and eliminating any guilt...and they know you will be there, when ever they call...and they "are" unique and exceptionally fun people, comical, real romantics and remarkable friends....but simply cannot stand responsibility...or, are still looking for the perfect soul mate...I repeat....perrrrrfect...of course, no one is perfect, and when you become to demanding, they will turn and run like a scared rabbit...

and what I learned was priceless...that you cannot make someone love you, or expect them to feel and think like you do, it would never work, we'd smother those kind of people, until a great working love turned into a slow death...and so, point being...we were two different people, didn't want the same things...and although I wanted him, he could not commit to me...and now, I know, if he had, it would have been disasterous.  and so, I have many mind photos which come back to remind me of how blessed I was to experience what I did...knowing through him, a love I'd never felt before...and is now on reserve for that special someone...only this time, it will be a better love, more mature and compassionate...smiles

Bittersweet memories, this bought back, beautifully done and praying you don't buy this torture like I did...hugs to you dear one...

forgive me for the book...see what your words did? hehe

marcel
since 2003-03-02
Posts 660
az, usa
2 posted 2005-08-03 02:53 AM

beautifully sad.....and strangely romantic.
SEA
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 5 Tours
Member Seraphic
since 2000-01-18
Posts 22676
with you
3 posted 2005-08-03 10:43 AM

yes, agreeing with Marcel...very much so.
Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #36 » Devotion

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary