navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #36 » Cat Mystery
Open Poetry #36
Post A Reply Post New Topic Cat Mystery Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
OwlSA
Member Rara Avis
since 2005-11-07
Posts 9347
Durban, South Africa

0 posted 2005-12-22 01:59 PM

The Night of the Cat
20 November 1998

Glutinous, inky turbulence bubbles below the taut surface, ready to erupt.
Arcane turmoil rages in the depths and threatens to fester.
All seems to be what it seems not.
The agitated sea cannot find repose.
It swirls it’s mystic blues and blacks and ghostly whites
into the changing shapes of demon gods
and calls upon the storm who answers not.
The phantom wind swells and howls and dies and dances into another tormented life.
A thousand faces point into the night.
The ashen moon grows small and cold with fear and fades from sight.
Daybreak doesn’t bring the light.

The Smile of the Cat
21 November 1998

A night bird calls and the sea lulls its waves in awe.
Wind adds its haunting voice
and pointing faces blur into one beauteous one.
The moon is golden, full and bright
and hearts dance in the light.
Turbulence and turmoil slowly subside
and what seems not to be, is no longer not.

- Owl

© Copyright 2005 Diana van den Berg - All Rights Reserved
serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

1 posted 2005-12-22 02:35 PM

I love both, and they fit together aptly, but I am thinking "storms" all the time now, so if you would indulge me, I'd love to know your inspiration, especially the meaning of "The Cat".

(I am so storm-obsessed, I question my ability to interpret right now--blush)

And I do love your work, Owl.

A happy day when you came to Pip.

OwlSA
Member Rara Avis
since 2005-11-07
Posts 9347
Durban, South Africa
2 posted 2005-12-23 05:12 AM

It is my pleasure, Serenity Blaze, to explain these.

Part of the origin is Andrew Lloyd Webber’s (or is there only 1 b as in Weber – I think so)  musical, “Cats” (based on all the cat poems of TS Eliot – Skimbleshanks for one and then another, my favourite – whose name I can’t remember - pleeeeeeez tell me if you know it without having to look it up, as it is bugging me that I can’t remember it- but this cat acted as “Firefrorefiddle, the fiend of the Fell”).  

The musical was, like all of Andrew Lloyd Weber’s productions, superb.  The dancing and the movements of the cats and the colours, including and especially the backgrounds embraced a million shadowy blues and the whole musical sang mystery and enchantment.  

I watched the musical the night in question at the house of a guy I was dating.   He had many, many problems and wanted help, but didn’t, which made it very difficult for me.  It became clear to me that night that many of his problems were so murky that no help would help him.  Not that this has much to do with the poem, but he was also a Take-all-give-nothing person - which, thinking about it now, was probably the essence of all his problems.

The first poem is written in the atmosphere of the musical, but of course much darker in every sense of the word.  It is mostly about the mind of the above-mentioned guy (not Andrew Lloyd Weber!) , but also about our relationship.  The thousand faces are his personalities.  The ashen moon was me (the Roman goddess of the moon, Diana).  He was creeping me out and by the time I left I was almost afraid of him, but certainly afraid of being involved with him.  

The next day when he phoned me, I read the poem to him and he had such a troubled reaction to it that I wrote the next one, partly because some of the murkinss had subsuded and partly to help him feel better which it did.

Thank you so much, Serenity Blaze, for your friendship, your support, for enjoying my poetry and for making me feel so welcome.

Thank you also for your vibrant poetry.  I love reading your work too.

- Owl

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #36 » Cat Mystery

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary