navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #36 » st. louis cemetery #1
Open Poetry #36
Post A Reply Post New Topic st. louis cemetery #1 Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

0 posted 2005-12-14 05:42 PM

There is a silent plea
that screams
from the eyes of those we grieve
even as they leave we need
pretend-this-isn't-happening
"then get me quick into the tomb"
seperate my fingers, groomed
around the rosary...

and write some pithe for epitaph.

Tell them all I laughed, okay?

© Copyright 2005 serenity blaze - All Rights Reserved
Nightshade
Deputy Moderator 5 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-08-31
Posts 13962
just out of reach
1 posted 2005-12-14 06:12 PM

As I said in your "Ninth Ward" write - haunted.
There is a reason for this, as of yet unkown to us.
Bless You.

littlewing
Member Rara Avis
since 2003-03-02
Posts 9655
New York
2 posted 2005-12-14 07:14 PM

This is so freaky because I was just thinking what was happening with all of the cemetaries, Karen.

I was thinking when we spoke - when I was researching them before all of this - and just today I was thinking, My God . . . what has happened to them?

And I could not even come up with an answer for myself.  

Enchantress
Member Empyrean
since 2001-08-14
Posts 35113
Canada eh.
3 posted 2005-12-14 09:53 PM

Karen I can't even begin to imagine...

iliana
Member Patricius
since 2003-12-05
Posts 13434
USA
4 posted 2005-12-14 11:34 PM

OMG, Karen....it probably is just so!  Great write, with a very weird twist (which I quite like) because they are probably laughing....but still, it is a henderous situation.   ....jojo
Janet Marie
Member Laureate
since 2000-01-22
Posts 18554

5 posted 2005-12-14 11:36 PM

Ghost on the street today
Doorways of Jackson Square
In tinsel and tap shoes
Mardi Gras beads in her hair
Down to the graveyard
She wrung out her hands
As if he will meet her
All day she stands
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I'm a ghost on the streets today
Surrounded by eyes
I feel them peer through me
And my harlequin disguise
If it makes you feel better
Come join me the while
And there's love in these open arms
Some love in my spirits' smiles

Edwin McCain

Thru the water...thru the rain
To the soul of everything
Throw my heart out on the stones
And I'm almost gone

D.Gray

Kaoru
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2003-06-07
Posts 3892
where the wild flowers grow
6 posted 2005-12-14 11:40 PM

The sun always hides when it's wanted,
and only shines when it knows it's needed.

I know..laughter...it can't bring anyone back, but it can surely create something new.

Much love to you, m'dear.

Dark Angel
Member Patricius
since 1999-08-04
Posts 10095

7 posted 2005-12-15 12:08 PM

how i would love you, love you as no one ever did! Die and still, love you more. And still love you more..and more
~Neruda~

Aenimal
Member Rara Avis
since 2002-11-18
Posts 7350
the ass-end of space
8 posted 2005-12-15 01:10 AM

again..what to say? purge. feel better
Mysteria
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Laureate
since 2001-03-07
Posts 18328
British Columbia, Canada
9 posted 2005-12-15 01:19 AM

I am so glad to see this spill of emotion being shared, and with such reverence Karen.  You know how I feel about those graveyards dontca?  Loved Meghan's thoughts on this poem actually.
serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

10 posted 2005-12-15 01:43 AM

I am indeed a cathartic writer, and sometimes with apologies, but most times not.

For those who don't like cathartic writing, just consider it my personal digging through rubble.

Every now and then I come across a "picture" to share.

Love to all. and thank you

latearrival
Member Ascendant
since 2003-03-21
Posts 5499
Florida
11 posted 2005-12-15 02:30 AM

not what we want.. of course not.. not what you want either.. but you go on and we will read and  try to understand. Make it clear to all who can feel... martyjo
Susan Caldwell
Member Rara Avis
since 2002-12-27
Posts 8348
Florida
12 posted 2005-12-15 08:30 AM

"cathartic writing"

is there any other kind?

love you lady.

"too bad ignorance isn't painful"
~Unknown~

shades of paul
since 2005-12-14
Posts 370
In Reality
13 posted 2005-12-15 08:40 AM

A haughting poem to be sure,Christmas cheer to you,paul

shades of paul,peace,love,and happiness

suthern
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Seraphic
since 1999-07-29
Posts 20723
Louisiana
14 posted 2005-12-15 08:50 AM

Please keep digging through that "rubble"... the picture you find may be just what someone needs. This was... for me. *S*
gemjop
Member Elite
since 2002-11-18
Posts 2587
Pencilveinia, USA
15 posted 2005-12-15 08:59 AM

agreeing with suthern, keep picking, however painful, it's bloody good writing.

OwlSA
Member Rara Avis
since 2005-11-07
Posts 9347
Durban, South Africa
16 posted 2005-12-16 02:16 AM

Serenity Blaze, I read every word of yours that I can find in the time I allot for myself online (expensive in South Africa) - and all too often outside that time as well.  I love your poetry very much.  

This was a very powerful poem with an exquisitely courageous truth, especially in that last line.  The most beautiful beauty is truth.  

To expose your cathartic poetry to us, is bestowing on us a great honour - that you trust us and understand that we feel for you.  Thank you for that.  

Please feel my profound "understanding" though I don't know the circumstances.  Even if I did, I believe that nobody can truly understand another's pain and suffering, but the important thing is that they try.  I have always felt that the greatest understanding comes when one doesn't understand.

You are a beautiful person inside and out and your poetry is beautiful inside and out.

Thank you for the beauty of this poem and honour of posting it to us.

- Owl

OwlSA
Member Rara Avis
since 2005-11-07
Posts 9347
Durban, South Africa
17 posted 2005-12-16 02:18 AM

Oh, and I forgot to say, if there is a St Louis Cemetry #1, surely there is more - or more that is going to be written?

Please will you post it too?

- Owl

OwlSA
Member Rara Avis
since 2005-11-07
Posts 9347
Durban, South Africa
18 posted 2005-12-16 02:20 AM

Sorry, me again!  Not living in America, I am not sure what current issue there is about cemetries.  Could somebody please tell me.

- Owl

Susan Caldwell
Member Rara Avis
since 2002-12-27
Posts 8348
Florida
19 posted 2005-12-16 08:05 AM

and this one too...

~Unknown~

LeeJ
Member Patricius
since 2003-06-19
Posts 13296

20 posted 2005-12-16 08:23 AM

serenity, karen, your words clench the heart

serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

21 posted 2005-12-16 01:17 PM

For Owl, because I'm so honored by your kind attention:

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

This is the gate to the oldest existing cemetery in New Orleans. Our cemeteries are reknowned here, as they appear to be small cities with all of the tombs standing like little houses in neat rows. Our custom is to bury our dead in this manner because New Orleans (as everyone knows well now) is below sea level. When the area floods, as it is prone to do, a sealed casket placed directly into the ground (as is the custom elsewhere) has the distasteful result of popping out of the ground due to the combination of the consistancy of the mud (which turns to sludge) and the inevitable gases trapped inside the casket from the decay of the corpse.

To answer everybody's question--I do not know what happened in this particular cemetery. I quit going out much, because frankly, I am too sensitive, and my immune system is apparently so compromised that I actually became very ill when I insisted on visiting my beloved French Quarter upon my return. So I stay home alot, since I live in an area that remained unflooded, and comparatively unscathed to the surrounding areas.

So I don't know if this cemetery flooded--but I do know that the cemetery where my father-in-law and his parents are buried did flood. I was told by my husband's aunt that the flooded tombs had to be opened and aired, swept clean and sanitized, and after our spell of gratefully dry weather, the caskets were replaced accordingly.

Down Highway 23, however, where locals persisted in burying their dead in the ground, there is indeed a place where  caskets are lined, where one can go to claim their dead ancestors. (This boggles my mind--I don't think I could pick out my grandparents by viewing a moldy casket, much less my great grandparents.)

But anyhow, OWL, that is the story of our caskets, and how New Orleans became famous for their cemeteries as "Cities of the Dead."

The poem itself was not intended literally. I used it as metaphor, because many of us here in New Orleans feel like we are dying as a city, and that the fact is being ignored. Sometimes even by us. So economically, nod, we are dying, but trying not to act like it, and as I thought of this, I remembered visiting my father, who knew he was dying, but wouldn't talk about it with me. Yet there was so much conversation in his eyes as he held my hand.

He seemed to be both apologizing and pleading with me, while we both made promises of doing things in the future together, plans that we knew would never be actualized.

So that's where the text of the poem came from...

Thank you Owl, for your interest and for your graceful attention. If I find some more copyright free photos of the tombs here, I'll try to post or send more.

(If not you can type in st. louis cemetery number one on google and hit images.)

Thanks again, everyone, for your kindness and understanding.

I love you all bunches. *hugs*

OwlSA
Member Rara Avis
since 2005-11-07
Posts 9347
Durban, South Africa
22 posted 2005-12-16 01:45 PM

Thank you so much Serenity Blaze for your explanation, the photo and the time you took to reply to me.  How absolutely horrific that all must be!  I hope that you are recovering in every possible way from the dreadful experience of Katrina.  I am sure it will take a long time, but step by step will get you there.  

I misunderstood the poem.  I took it metaphorically, but thought that it was about the death of somebody you couldn't mourn.  I am so very glad, for your sake, that that wasn't the case.  Believe me, paradoxically, it is very painful.  My misinterpretation doesn't alter the fact one bit that you are very courageous.

Please accept my humble little prayers for you and all of New Orleans.

- Owl

serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

23 posted 2005-12-16 02:18 PM

Owl? You have such a gracious way about you.

My poetry is rather vague, I realize. It's something I need to work on.

Conversely, in conversational mode, I can't seem to shut up.

So thank you yet again, for taking the time.

luminosity
since 2005-11-18
Posts 813

24 posted 2005-12-16 02:23 PM

sigh.....oh my...so many times I think of how much I would like to be gone from this earth, but to think of the 'after' and the greiving of loved ones stops me in my tracks...this write is like stopping with one foot in the air ...
nicely done

Susan Caldwell
Member Rara Avis
since 2002-12-27
Posts 8348
Florida
25 posted 2005-12-16 03:27 PM

"My poetry is rather vague, I realize. It's something I need to work on"

Geez, Karen, don't do that!!

I love how you write. (and I know I am not the only one).

~Unknown~

OwlSA
Member Rara Avis
since 2005-11-07
Posts 9347
Durban, South Africa
26 posted 2005-12-18 02:01 AM

I love your poetry just as it is.  I love poetry that shrouds itself in mists that one has to peer into, to be rewarded with the shapes that emerge.

- Owl

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #36 » st. louis cemetery #1

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary