navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #36 » Flaming June
Open Poetry #36
Post A Reply Post New Topic Flaming June Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
majnu
Deputy Moderator 5 Tours
since 2002-10-13
Posts 1088
SF Bay Area

0 posted 2005-12-12 07:44 PM

Soft, lay down the body languid,
The sheen of gold-red folded liquid
Caressing creamy flesh so sonsy.

Heat waves curvy, rise from such fields,
Temptation too early, capture what yields
From terrain so tantalizingly lovely.

Yet patient I will be, and wait
For June will rise to me, and in
The harvest moon's orange light
We will pass a lovers' night.

------

Just sitting there staring at the print of one of my favs and it popped in my head almost fully formed. Maybe I dreamed it like coleridge. Anyway, since it is a rare first draft posting, any critiques are especially welcome.

-majnu
--------------------------------------
Timid thoughts be not afraid. I am a Poet.

[This message has been edited by majnu (12-12-2005 11:02 PM).]

© Copyright 2005 Zaheer Abbas Ali - All Rights Reserved
Marge Tindal
Deputy Moderator 5 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Empyrean
since 1999-11-06
Posts 42384
Florida's Foreverly Shores
1 posted 2005-12-12 09:56 PM

Zaheer~
I peeked in on this one earlier and couldn't see it ... SO glad you got it fixed.
It's lovely~

'sonsy' ? ... and perhaps 'carressing' (caressing) and 'Temptaion' (temptation) could all be fixed with an edit to make this a grand presentation~
(I only mention it because your critique says so)

Merry Christmas~
*Huglets*
~*Marge*~

~*No matter what I search for ...
let me know when it is LOVE that I find*~ <))><

Email -       noles1@totcon.com       

MGROVES
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2004-02-01
Posts 3802
california
2 posted 2005-12-12 09:58 PM

absolutely georgous

My spirit will rise
above the sea~
There will be no drowning
of my soul or me~

majnu
Deputy Moderator 5 Tours
since 2002-10-13
Posts 1088
SF Bay Area
3 posted 2005-12-12 11:05 PM

Marge,

Thanks. Sonsy, is an archaicish word for pleasingly curvacious or voloptuous. somehow voloptuous or buxom or curvy just seemed wrong.

the lady's beauty is not of the vulgar kind.

groves, thanks!

-majnu
--------------------------------------
Timid thoughts be not afraid. I am a Poet.

Brian James
since 2005-06-26
Posts 147
Winnipeg
4 posted 2005-12-15 12:34 PM

Majnu,

Also like Coleridge, your little note to the poem brings a lot to it, more even than the painting.  Captioning is a spectacular process, be it to a dream or to a picture on the computer screen.  After all, isn't all poetry a kind of captioning?

One of the things I like most about this poem is your use of sound symbolism... a lot of the words are phonetically similar, and those similarities tend to link them to one another conceptually in a sort of blend (much like a painter applies hues and layers).  Especially like gold-red/fold-ed, languid/liquid, sheen/creamy/curvy/early, and such.  If you choose to revise this poem I'd suggest amplifying this stylistic device as much as you can, especially since its force gradually diminishes as the poem goes on.

Otherwise, I can't say a whole lot.  The poem might seem a bit more loving if you got rid of words with sinister connotations (capture, tantalizing) in favour of the softer and more mellow tone you achieve early on.  Perhaps this could be done by drawing out the harvest metaphor.  Unless, of course, you intended to have an element of carnal restraint in the poem...

Either way, great work.  Glad I got the opportunity to read this.  Good luck in further drafts.

Brian

Midnitesun
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Empyrean
since 2001-05-18
Posts 28647
Gaia
5 posted 2005-12-15 01:01 AM

majnu, what a treat!
I greatly enjoyed the way you presented  your impressions of this dreamy creamy sensual painting.
And I always loved reading Coleridge.

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #36 » Flaming June

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary