navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #36 » When I Look Out My Window
Open Poetry #36
Post A Reply Post New Topic When I Look Out My Window Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
StevenS
since 2005-09-21
Posts 945
L. A. (Lower Alabama)

0 posted 2005-10-23 10:17 PM

When I look out my window, the rain's still pouring down. I reach for a pen and paper so I can write it all down.

This old house needs painting, and the baby needs some shoes, I need inspiration, and momma's got the blues.

I can hear Hank's lonesome whistle blowing, from the freight rumbling down the track, it's blowing a jilted lover's song,"I want my baby back."

I don't know where that trains going, and I don't know where it's been, but it seems to be telling me, to pack my bags and hit the road again.

I guess I'm just an old tumble weed, still blowing in the wind. Still looking for that place in the sun, still looking for a friend.

I'd go to California, but California's forgot my name. Where have all the Beach Boys gone? California just ain't the same.

I wanna drive down route sixty six, like my momma and daddy did, when apple pie was a Cheverolet, a good woman and a kid.

What happened to the American Dream? What happened to the Golden Rule? When did we start calling a peaceful man a coward and a fool?

I don't know much, I never claimed that I did, but it don't take a genius to see, America is on the skid.

Children gone forever, taken for a lie, everytime I think on this,...I get mad as hell,...then I cry.

Although the world is full of suffering , it is also full of the over coming of it. Helen Keller

© Copyright 2005 Steven E. Stone - All Rights Reserved
Martie
Member Empyrean
since 1999-09-21
Posts 28049
California
1 posted 2005-10-23 10:25 PM

Hi Steve

"I'd go to California, but California's forgot my name. Where have all the Beach Boys gone? California just ain't the same."

Now, I've lived in California all my life...and it's true..much has changed, but it's still home to me, and so it's stayed the same!  

Your poem sounds like it could be a song.  

iliana
Member Patricius
since 2003-12-05
Posts 13434
USA
2 posted 2005-10-23 10:29 PM

"What happened to the American Dream? What happened to the Golden Rule? When did we start calling a peaceful man a coward and a fool?

I don't know much, I never claimed that I did, but it don't take a genius to see, America is on the skid.

Children gone forever, taken for a lie, everytime I think on this,...I get mad as hell,...then I cry."

I think your view through the window is pretty accurate, unfortunately.  Totally agree....however, every now and then, I catch a glimmer of some hope.  Enjoyed the read, Steven.

StevenS
since 2005-09-21
Posts 945
L. A. (Lower Alabama)
3 posted 2005-10-23 10:30 PM

Hi Martie, Maybe it's me that ain't the same. Tina hasn't seen this one yet...maybe.
Martie
Member Empyrean
since 1999-09-21
Posts 28049
California
4 posted 2005-10-23 10:32 PM

Steve...I know it is people who change...I sure have!   
MGROVES
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2004-02-01
Posts 3802
california
5 posted 2005-10-23 10:33 PM

i cry alot too. but gotta keep the faith, thanks for sharing this

My spirit will rise
above the sea~
There will be no drowning
of my soul or me~

StevenS
since 2005-09-21
Posts 945
L. A. (Lower Alabama)
6 posted 2005-10-23 10:41 PM

Thank you iliana, hope is a good thing to have.

All change is not good change Martie, it's the world we will leave to the children that concerns me.

StevenS
since 2005-09-21
Posts 945
L. A. (Lower Alabama)
7 posted 2005-10-23 11:05 PM

Thanks MGROVES, I try.
Margherita
Member Seraphic
since 2003-02-08
Posts 22236
Eternity
8 posted 2005-10-24 01:09 PM

This sounds like a sad ballad and it is thought provoking, dear Steven.

Not only America, but the whole world needs to set other priorities, in order to move on instead of stepping back.

Love,
Margherita

Enchantress
Member Empyrean
since 2001-08-14
Posts 35113
Canada eh.
9 posted 2005-10-24 01:17 PM

I hear ya Steve!
At times I feel the whole world is in a mess..
we try our best to carry on...sad as the mess may be.
Hugs~Nancy

~Time has cast a spell on you,
   So you won't ever forget me.~

Suetang
Member Ascendant
since 2001-03-07
Posts 5187
Melbourne, Australia
10 posted 2005-10-24 06:25 PM

Steven

Your words have the ability to touch deep inside the heart.  I really enjoy reading your words and even though I'm not an American, this was so heartfelt.

Take care.......Sue

I am in motion
I am blue
Love is an ocean
I'm anchored in you
- Shawn Mullins

Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
11 posted 2005-10-24 07:09 PM

quote:
it's the world we will leave to the children that concerns me.

Trust me, Steven, our generation is not the first generation to have such a concern. It's been going on for as long as politics have played a concern in life. I heard it from my folks, and from their folks. I'm sure it went back a long way before that...

But what we CAN do [oh, and in case you haven't guessed it yet, I'm also Miss Hoptimist around here... ] is try to change what we've been dealt, with optimism, courage, hope, faith...and a hell of a lot of good will [although there will be many who will tell me it will take more than that - and it will, but these are the starts to personal wellbeing with our fellow man...]

You see where I'm going.  It can get terribly frustrating, yes, and very depressing...but we can't go there, you and I.  Can we?

StevenS
since 2005-09-21
Posts 945
L. A. (Lower Alabama)
12 posted 2005-10-24 07:33 PM

Thank you Margherita, I agree the entire world does need a make over.:-) I feel like my responsibility though lies first within my own country.

Thank you Enchantress, Carry on we must, while striving for a better life for all as our forefathers intended. Demanding that our Gov. recognize the God given rights we claim for ourselves are extended to all men around the world.  

And Thank you Suetang, I've always wanted to vist the mysterious and beautiful Australia. A walkabout would do me good!

StevenS
since 2005-09-21
Posts 945
L. A. (Lower Alabama)
13 posted 2005-10-24 07:50 PM

Thank you Miss Sunshine, you say it much better than I can. Lets just make sure the people in the White House understand and do what the people desire. We executed people after WWII for what has been Okayed by this Admin.  
Earth Angel
Member Empyrean
since 2002-08-27
Posts 40215
Realms of Light
14 posted 2005-10-24 10:06 PM

Steven, keep on looking out that window and reaching for that pen and paper!

I found myself attempting to put a melody to your poetic lyrics!

Linda

StevenS
since 2005-09-21
Posts 945
L. A. (Lower Alabama)
15 posted 2005-10-24 10:15 PM

Thank you for the encouraging words dear Earth Angel. Maybe I'll dust off that old guitar and give it a try myself.:-)
Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #36 » When I Look Out My Window

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary