navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #35 » Happy Father's Day Mom! (A Salute to all single Moms!) re-post from #18
Open Poetry #35
Post A Reply Post New Topic Happy Father's Day Mom! (A Salute to all single Moms!) re-post from #18 Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Mysteria
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Laureate
since 2001-03-07
Posts 18328
British Columbia, Canada

0 posted 2005-06-18 01:34 PM

~* Happy Father's Day Mom! *~

Here it's Father’s Day again,
This day always brings to mind,
The teasing children did to my son,
Taunting him, being so unkind.

When Father’s Day came around,
At Boy Scouts or at his school,
They would always make fun of him,
And try to make him feel a fool.

Some man would always substitute,
Whenever it called for "father and son,"
See, I was another, single working Mom,
Divorced, working two jobs just for fun!

No support, working such long hours,
Every single penny I made was spent,
Keeping my son busy with activities,
Just covering the heat and rent.

I figured if I kept him busy
Got him involved in things with men,
Being around a woman most of the time,
Wouldn’t hurt now and again.

But kids always made fun of him,
Until one day he made me so proud.
It was at a "Father and Son picnic,"
Amidst a great, big crowd.

The three-legged race was announced,
Calling all the fathers and sons.
He said, “Come on Mom let’s enter”,
“Trust me, it will be so much fun!”

I didn’t know how to disappoint him,
So off to that gate we went,
But a leader at camp stopped us,
For fathers and sons the race was meant.

I've never been so proud as that day,
He looked up at him so very sad,
Wiping a tear, he simply said,
“Well, this here lady IS my Dad!”

She does all the things those Dads do,
She can fish, and throw a ball,
Just because her name isn’t Dad,
Doesn’t mean she isn’t one at all.

She told me when my Dad went away,
She was now my Daddy too,
So please don’t be so mean to her,
We just want to enter a race us two.

Well we entered that darn old race,
We were laughing and having fun,
It wasn’t until everyone started cheering,
We realized that race we had won.

So to all the single Moms out there,
Happy Father’s Day to each of you,
I know you do a fantastic job,
Bless you for being two parents too.

To All The Single Moms Out There
~*~ Happy Father's Day ~*~

I for one know that a single parent can supply all a child needs in this world to be all that they can be eventually, and you WILL be proud of a job well done.

~* Carpe' Diem *~

© Copyright 2005 Mysteria 1997 - All Rights Reserved
Martie
Member Empyrean
since 1999-09-21
Posts 28049
California
1 posted 2005-06-18 01:37 PM

Sharon

I'm proud of your son too....and you!!  

Mysteria
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Laureate
since 2001-03-07
Posts 18328
British Columbia, Canada
2 posted 2005-06-18 01:40 PM

Martie, your son did you proud as well if I am not mistaking   and look at our grandkids will you?  Oh my!  That was worth all the extra hours put in over the years I tell you.  Thank you sweetie, and Happy Father's Day to Grampa there, and your Son too.

The mothers now have a bigger struggle Martie, too much pressure on what they have to "have" instead of what they actually "need."

littlewing
Member Rara Avis
since 2003-03-02
Posts 9655
New York
3 posted 2005-06-18 02:29 PM

Thank you, Sharon -  for being that lighthouse I can see in the distance from my own shore.
Justbleu
Member Elite
since 1999-08-31
Posts 3329
Oregon, Originally From Alaska :)
4 posted 2005-06-18 02:50 PM

What a precious treasure this is.....

This brought tears to my eyes!!!!

Hugs,
Bridgette

"Somewhere, somehow, it should be possible to touch someone and never let go again.  To hold someone, not for a moment but forever." A. Brink

latearrival
Member Ascendant
since 2003-03-21
Posts 5499
Florida
5 posted 2005-06-18 05:16 PM

Sharon,This is a winner. It goes, with your permission, to my daughter Jan, as she also raised her only child, a son. A wonderful young man he turned out to be. She would dearly love this . martyjo
Mysteria
Member Laureate
since 2001-03-07
Posts 18328
British Columbia, Canada
6 posted 2005-06-18 05:42 PM

Martyjo, I am delighted you share it, and thanks for that really cute poem this morning     This is an old poem but a true story.  I was married a few times actually but really raised Todd on my own so know how tough it is to make them happy, and end meet at the same time with no monetary support, and still stay sane.  

I sure commend single mothers today, as they have way more obligations put on them as a parent than we had back then.  Heck they live in their cars driving kids around.  Whatever happened to a birthday that included "Pin The Tail On The Donkey," cake, ice cream and a paper sack with a few items to take home.  Nowadays, it has a theme, Bob The Builder, Princesses, the latest movie craze or t.v. show, that requires hired hands for the jumping castle, face-painting, and costs a fortune to throw a party for what?  I say, "Revolt Moms!  Stop the insanity!"  A child will not know an expensive good time, from a quality no-cost one, trust me on that!  They will treasure taking home something they made themselves more than something from a store, (they have TONS of those!)

Sorry, getting carried away as usual, but mothers and teachers to me deserve the highest salary going!

Sue, I love that idea of being a beacon        heck, if I can be that the my job has been done here in my lifetime, thanks sweetie, sail to me anytime.

passing shadows
Member Empyrean
since 1999-08-26
Posts 45577
displaced
7 posted 2005-06-18 06:50 PM

this is quite touching...a story to be remembered

thanks for reposting

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #35 » Happy Father's Day Mom! (A Salute to all single Moms!) re-post from #18

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary