navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #33 » Hobo
Open Poetry #33
Post A Reply Post New Topic Hobo Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Suetang
Member Ascendant
since 2001-03-07
Posts 5187
Melbourne, Australia

0 posted 2004-08-19 03:13 AM

I rummage through the rubbish
To see what treasure I might find
I keep mostly to myself
Most people are so unkind

I watch them pass me by
It's like I'm not even there
I feel like I'm invisible
Right through me they stare

Hurrying to their destination
They look sideways with disdain
As I huddle near this shopfront
Seeking shelter from the rain

As the sky begins to darken
I shuffle slowly down the street
As I pull my coat around me
To help ward off the sleet

"Loneliness, and the feeling
of being unwanted is
the most terrible poverty"
-Mother Teresa-

I am in motion
I am blue
Love is an ocean
I'm anchored in you
- Shawn Mullins

© Copyright 2004 Sue Tancheff - All Rights Reserved
iliana
Member Patricius
since 2003-12-05
Posts 13434
USA
1 posted 2004-08-19 03:31 AM

Suetang, , a sad picture you paint well.  I have seen so much of this....any at all is more than there should be.   ....jo
garysgirl
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 5 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Laureate
since 2002-09-29
Posts 19237
Florida, USA
2 posted 2004-08-19 04:05 AM

Sue, sweet lady, this touched my heart. I hope that
this is just writing and not from personal experience.
No-one should feel this way in a world that is so
full of people.
Hugs to you,
Ethel

MGROVES
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2004-02-01
Posts 3802
california
3 posted 2004-08-19 05:35 AM

so sad yet so true, i have a brother who's a lost soul, who wanders in the streets, my heart goes out to him and others like him, it tears me up inside when i see him, or see another as him, and nothing i can do, but do give when i can   this was good write

Kevo
since 2004-06-02
Posts 466
Navarro County, Texas, USA
4 posted 2004-08-19 06:12 AM

I feel that's why it so important to spend time ensuring people understand that you validate them as much as you would like them to validate your own existence.  Not that it's a necessity for those comfortable with themselves but it is truly uplifting when people share with you and their is that common thread of worth hidden beneath a quiet understanding.  I try hard not to alienate people.  I am not vain at all but I would like to see more than one or two people at my funeral.  I spent a lot of time doing burial details in the Marines.  Many of those we buried were long retired.  I could usually tell what kind of person they were by the number of people that attended.  Hundreds meant they extended themselves and touched many.  One, two, three?  It meant they weren't missed.  They were lonely usually through alienation, I imagine, and didn't share, spend time with, or validate others.  They looked the other way like those written about in this exquisite poem of yours.  By the way, have I told you that I'm not looking the other way?  You matter to all of us.  Your poem was very touching.  I appreciated it quite a bit.

Warm regards,

Kevin

LeeJ
Member Patricius
since 2003-06-19
Posts 13296

5 posted 2004-08-19 06:57 AM

well, I'm here and reading you and have missed your posts????  Come on, lets go sit under the apple tree and watch the sun rise and hear the creek music offer up its urgency of care, and know deep inside that sitting along side you on the porch at dusk watching the sunset will sound like friendships never lost...

hugs and smiles sent your way...

Rick
Member Elite
since 2001-06-21
Posts 2903
Victoria, Australia
6 posted 2004-08-19 07:37 AM

Dear Sue, I hope you are well dear friend, I don't hear this sort of stuff from you too often, well done and expressed, take care friend and may love be by your side.

Sincerely
Rick

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #33 » Hobo

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary