navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #33 » Have you ever?
Open Poetry #33
Post A Reply Post New Topic Have you ever? Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
miscellanea
Member Elite
since 2004-06-24
Posts 4060
OH

0 posted 2004-08-11 04:11 PM

Have you ever had a pencil
That when sharpened
Just kept
Losing
Its
Lead?  (or graphite, as may be…)

Have you ever had thought trail
That when embarked
Had logs
In path
And
Forget upon grey stones?

Have you ever been at home
When you weren’t there at all,
Where your mind
In freedom roams
With sharpened pencil
And clear path,
Free of logs and talking stones?

© Copyright 2004 Cathy Farmer - All Rights Reserved
Cpat Hair
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-06-05
Posts 11793

1 posted 2004-08-11 04:23 PM

stones speak to anyone who listens..

and I've been a lot of places I was not.. for a lot of reason that never were..

Toerag
Member Ascendant
since 1999-07-29
Posts 5622
Ala bam a
2 posted 2004-08-11 04:27 PM

Yea, me too...what cpat said......
miscellanea
Member Elite
since 2004-06-24
Posts 4060
OH
3 posted 2004-08-11 04:32 PM

Captain,
   Thank you for your reflective response.  I relate. Hm.   Leave no stone unturned.  Turn those babies over so they don't speak so loudly? Sticks and stones can break my bones...  There must be dozens ditties written about those rocks! Appreciate your comment.
      miscellanea

Toerag,
    You, too?  Now I know from what depths your humor comes.  I mean, when things get rough, you make the best of it.  Huh?  Thanks for commenting, Toe.
      miscellanea

James_A_Fraser
since 2003-09-03
Posts 972
Out Making Anticlines
4 posted 2004-08-11 05:14 PM

I have wanted to be there far more often than I've been able to arrive ~~ but yes, it's a rather large zone on my map.

You may be beautiful in other ways, but your eyes are your best feature ~~ the eyes with which you see these things for us.

~~J

Earth Angel
Member Empyrean
since 2002-08-27
Posts 40215
Realms of Light
5 posted 2004-08-11 06:03 PM

You too?!? I'm glad to learn that I am not the only one!!! Pencil  

IWIHWT lol

Commiserating hugs,
EA

Copperbell
since 2003-11-08
Posts 956

6 posted 2004-08-11 06:21 PM

I like this,  I have a few favorite places that I never get to be

iliana
Member Patricius
since 2003-12-05
Posts 13434
USA
7 posted 2004-08-11 06:33 PM

Hello, sis!  I thought you were out of town this week.  This was great.  And, yes, I have that happen to me, as well.   ...jo
Susan
Member Ascendant
since 2004-03-27
Posts 5104
walking the surreal
8 posted 2004-08-11 09:05 PM

Oh yes, yes indeed -- I have, I do, and I liked.  
Susan

Happiness isn't something that happens to you, it's created from within you.  Joy is a state of mind.

miscellanea
Member Elite
since 2004-06-24
Posts 4060
OH
9 posted 2004-08-11 09:11 PM

James,
   I appreciate your response to this and hope that the places on the map become more accessible.  As for the beauty behind the poetess, I'll consider it high polished flattery and send you a grin.  No, my eyes are weak, causing need for stronger lenses!
Have a good day.
                     miscellanea

Earth Angel,
   "You too?!? I'm glad to learn that I am not the only one!!!  

IWIHWT lol

Commiserating hugs,
EA"   Feel free to e-mail me if you like--  This doesn't sound like you at all!  cathy  

Copperbell,
   Don't we all, Kiddo?  But look at the places we've been!!!  Glad you liked this.
             miscellanea

iliana,
   Am back and in living color, a few dollars to the wind!  Yep, I knew you'd relate to this one.  Glad you enjoyed.  Hoping things are going well in LA, SanFran?
wherever...
               miscellanea

Susan,
   Glad to hear I'm not alone in my dwellings!  Thanks for your comment, Susan.  Enjoyed our visit.

MGROVES
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2004-02-01
Posts 3802
california
10 posted 2004-08-12 12:33 PM

can definetly relate to this, very good

Pell
since 2001-09-16
Posts 134
Pacific NW
11 posted 2004-08-12 01:35 AM

It feels really silly to explain it, but this write echoes a recent day, in odd ways, very well for me.

I was working, trying to mark a measurement with one of those refillable draft pencils that you click the eraser to make the lead come out? I was preoccupied in any case, thinking about a conversation I'd had with someone close to me involving some pretty big revelations, just trying to get a grasp on the implications... in my distraction I didn't register that the lead kept falling out in small pieces each time I tried to mark with it, must have been 5 or 6 times lol. I finally tossed it aside absently, reached for a carpenter pencil and the boxknife to sharpen it... and realized a moment of clarity in the convo that just kind of stopped me cold. Good thing too- it's not wise to be thinking about other stuff when you've a blade in your hand lol.

I dunno, normally I'm a confirmed lurker... it's just that there are some key words and concepts here that rang my bell, compelled me to post- not only do I relate in some ways, but how I relate. Perhaps in a less spectacular way than you might expect, but signifigant to me anyway.

Revelations and realizations come in all sizes, and yeah- Have I Ever, indeed. I like very much the way you crafted this thought. Thanks for sharing

Pell

passing shadows
Member Empyrean
since 1999-08-26
Posts 45577
displaced
12 posted 2004-08-12 03:30 AM

pretty cool write here
HopeS
Member Elite
since 2000-12-22
Posts 4596
Perth Western Australia
13 posted 2004-08-12 04:07 AM

Have I ever , why yes indeed !!!

Hope

Margherita
Member Seraphic
since 2003-02-08
Posts 22236
Eternity
14 posted 2004-08-12 04:54 AM

I think this is a little masterpiece, dear miscellanea!

One thing is sure, your mind is sharpened well!

Your words resonate greatly with me too.

... like the lead that keeps falling out of the pencil and is wasted …… some thoughts of ours may be wasted if we fail to focus on them clearly…….. but in the total void some very sharp thoughts are channeled.

Love and hugs. Margherita

Sadelite
Member Elite
since 2003-10-11
Posts 2519

15 posted 2004-08-12 01:06 PM

MGroves,
   Glad you enjoyed and can relate.  Have a good day filled with lots of writing.
     miscellanea

Pell,
   I'm glad to meet you and hear that my words have meant something to you.  Sometimes my words flow on their own without a push.  This was one of those times.  Thank you for sharing your situation.  It is very meaningful for me, as well, to hear how you relate.  I appreciate your coming forward to share your day, your thoughts.  Have a good week.
       miscellanea

passing shadows,
   A cool write sounds mighty fine to me.  Thanks, Dixie.  Have a good one.
      miscellanea

Hope,
   Thank you for your response.  You know exactly what I mean.  
             miscellanea

Margherita,
   You are much too kind, Sweet Lady.  My mind is a marshmallow!  This was a fluke. I enjoy reading your interpretations--they're much more in depth than the poem, much more profound.  Some of my poems have had layers of meaning, but my mind is becoming jello, with less and less meaning.
Take care of that grandbaby, Sweet Margherita.             miscellanea

-------
***I apologize ahead of time if this would appear to be bumping. I was just trying to respond to those who commented. I have no idea how Sadelite came on the screen here instead of miscellanea!  I thought I had totally lost that id.  I am at a different computer than usual, but the last time I used it, I typed in miscellanea's name and password.  I have been unable to use Sadelite's name and password for over two months, with many attempts to try to regain my former name!  It has been a frustrating process. Now, I'm equally as frustrated that it appeared out of the blue.  My apologies.  I will contact a moderator to see what's happening.  (We purchased a new server where I work, and maybe their are some bugs in it.  When I read my poem, the last two verses were duplicated and there were parts of its letters floating around.  Then it fixed itself.  I posted my response right after that.  Sorry, this was not intended to bump myself.  I won't post on my things until this is straightened out.)
      cathy

[This message has been edited by Sadelite (08-12-2004 01:40 PM).]

suthern
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Seraphic
since 1999-07-29
Posts 20723
Louisiana
16 posted 2004-08-13 03:46 PM

I've sympathy for your bumping dilemma... but personally, I'm glad I found this, however it came to be in my line of sight. *S*

And yes... I have... realizing the night has slipped to morning only when the alarm clock interrupted the scribbling. *S*

I like this very much... especially the 2nd verse! *S* Those stones and logs are sworn enemies of a sharpened pencil. *S*

Toerag
Member Ascendant
since 1999-07-29
Posts 5622
Ala bam a
17 posted 2004-08-13 05:24 PM

Miscie....My humor comes from living 80 years in a 54 year time span...and most of it was miserable....so, since I can't forget my past, can't depend on my future...I just look for the happy or funny things in the time I have left....most sucks though..I can tell you're a sweetie though...keep up the thoughts and keep putting them into words....
miscellanea
Member Elite
since 2004-06-24
Posts 4060
OH
18 posted 2004-08-13 10:17 PM

suthern,  
  Another night owl I see! The second verse was my favorite, too.  Glad you like it.  It's great to hear from you again.  Take care, my southern friend.
           miscellanea

Toerag,
   "Miscie....My humor comes from living 80 years in a 54 year time span...and most of it was miserable....so, since I can't forget my past, can't depend on my future...I just look for the happy or funny things in the time I have left....most sucks though..I can tell you're a sweetie though...keep up the thoughts and keep putting them into words...."  

The more I get to know the Toe, the more I like the shoe. I like your attitude and wish I took things a little less serious.  Sometimes I can.  Those are the best.  It helps me when I see others like you do the humor thing.  I love wit!  Thanks, Toerag.  I think you are a real sweetie, too.  (But I'll still watch out for what's coming!!! You always have a card up your sleeve!  I can imagine you on the old T.V. show, Maverick!)
                 Miscie

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #33 » Have you ever?

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary