navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #32 » This Ol’ Rocker
Open Poetry #32
Post A Reply Post New Topic This Ol’ Rocker Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
JL
Member Ascendant
since 2004-04-01
Posts 6128
Texas, USA

0 posted 2004-04-28 02:12 PM

This Ol’ Rocker

…With a long drawn breath…

I realized the galvanized road had turned to dust.
Couldn’t say, and would never say, not out loud anyway, the dust was always there.
Just learned to move out of its way when it fell back to earth, maybe it never left the ground,
and, maybe I never noticed the dust between all of those marbles; I think they’re marbles.
I guess I used to shake them around so much I really couldn’t tell what they were.
I must of thought they were pebbles, not marbles… No, if they were marbles,
I would have picked them up, every last one that I could fit in all my pockets,
I would have filled ‘em up… Yes sir.

The sun is very warm today, but this old rocker has me in a partial shade.
Don’t want to move over any, wouldn’t be able to get a good look at that old graveyard.
Yes sir, that’s where they are a’ figure’n on planting me…
Haahaa, yep, I’ll be pushin’ up daises right over there….
yeah, guess those old marbles will still be here.

Can’t seem to make a picture in my head of what life might be like, not being here that is.
O, I know we all must part some day… guess I was not meaning to imply I would be missed.
No, not that at all.  You gotta’ be worth something, bad or good, to be missed.  It doesn’t matter which…
No sir… You can make a name for yourself being either… bad or good.  Haahaa… Yes sir, bad or good.

O-my, I think it’s going to rain today, sure is humid.  This here rocker belonged to my dad, and his dad.
I suppose it will be going to someone else when I’m gone.  

…Another long drawn breath while patting the rocker’s arm…

I can’t seem to remember where all that time went.  Where it all was spent… seems all the same to me.
Maybe I was always this old!  Maybe not… But it sure makes one speculate, thinking ‘bout all those marbles.
Young kids today drive right over them heading to the fair… they’re all dressed up with fashioned hair.
Not even lookin’ where they are going… or where they come from or where they been!  
Passing those marbles…the cat-eyes and steelys and solids, or just to stop and playing with their friends

Someday, O I am sure, sure as I’m sittin’ here, most of them will want this ol’ rocker too… Yes sir.
They won’t admit to that now, no, not at all… O, I know there are a few… Yeah… they slow down,
They slow down just long enough to get an eye-full of this old rocker, and to bend down to scoop up those
glassy-cat-eye marbles…O, yeah.  Just a few, and, not very often… They know…they know… Yes sir!
Haah!  

They take a good hard look at this ol’ rocker!  Yes sir, they sure do…

© Copyright 2004 JL - All Rights Reserved
Enchantress
Member Empyrean
since 2001-08-14
Posts 35113
Canada eh.
1 posted 2004-04-28 02:18 PM

JL..this is a keeper!!
I love it...you have a gift for story tellin'.
~Smiles & Hugs, Nancy~

To have lived the dream of a love so true...
   is to have seen a glimpse of heaven.

Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
2 posted 2004-04-28 02:22 PM

Sir...

quote:
…Another long drawn breath while patting the rocker’s arm…

I do this...
thank you for the smiles.

LeeJ
Member Patricius
since 2003-06-19
Posts 13296

3 posted 2004-04-28 03:17 PM

sigh

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #32 » This Ol’ Rocker

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary