navwin » Archives » Dark Poetry #4 » Jesus Above
Dark Poetry #4
Post A Reply Post New Topic Jesus Above Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
featherpen
since 2006-05-02
Posts 12

0 posted 2006-05-02 12:56 PM

A caustic marinate of idle thoughts,
Consume the fervour of the virgin mind,
Till no end is seen for the end has come,
To meet an abortive faction that’s blind.

The budding ones huddled in an alley by the store,
Some shadows in the shades spoke of pipes,
Ones with purple clots and festering needle marks,
Warned of guillotine to a few prudent gripes.

The lost souls couldn’t be warned with love,
So the non-pragmatists put a Jesus above.

With the wailing sirens, like rats they scuttle,
They flee scuffing their necks sore in a local shuttle,
To nowhere they head with indelible wounds,
Now would you doctor the bleed or the mind unsound?

The lost souls couldn’t be warned with love,
So the non-pragmatists put a Jesus above.

© Copyright 2006 Karthik Nagaraj - All Rights Reserved
the_girl_next_door
since 2006-02-26
Posts 591
USA
1 posted 2006-05-07 10:50 PM

ok.. at first I thought that no one had posted because of the title.. but really I dont' understnad your poem..

"The lost souls couldn?t be warned with love,
So the non-pragmatists put a Jesus above."

to me it sounds like your saying that someone just made up Jesus.. ya know.. I might be wrong.. but I'd really like to know exactly what you meant by this poem.. I respect your thoughts I'm just not sure what you meant..

please explain. thanks..

~heather

Desire nothing except desirelessness. Hope for nothing except to rise above all hopes.
Want nothing & you will have everything.

byski
since 2006-01-26
Posts 235
Alberta, Canada
2 posted 2006-05-09 08:24 PM

I think it means a figurative Jesus, more like an ideal that represents how some are led to believe things will turn out for the better when in reality they will not.

The budding ones huddled in an alley by the store,
Some shadows in the shades spoke of pipes,
Ones with purple clots and festering needle marks,
Warned of guillotine to a few prudent gripes.

This seems like a group of teens is being approached by a street punk and he is trying to seduce the group. He would lead them to believe that what he has to offer would do them good. We all know that drugs like meth and speed can get you high (representing Jesus) but we also know that they can harm you. But it could also just be part of a funeral as these lost souls don't do so well in the fouth stanza.

featherpen
since 2006-05-02
Posts 12

3 posted 2006-05-11 02:46 PM

Thanks folks. Thanks for your kind comments and for taking a crack at what these few humble verses of mine could possibly mean.

Honestly, I look at a poem after I am done, the occurence almost out of my reach and control. Hence, if we are to break it down, we may have to do it together. In my opinion, the fun in reading poems is in deconstructing them.

While mine is not that complex, I can summarize for you in a few sentences.

The problem of youth and how the society deals with them is what I intend to discuss. My two lines about Jesus might come off as offensive given its rather callous take on His existence. But I plead for you to ingnore. In the context of the poem, it isn't so bad as I am only saying that sometimes God is used to scare people instead of making them believe. In any case, a spiritual approach might sometimes be quite tangential to the real solution.

Kids on drugs running like fugitives, how should we deal with them? Via spiritual refuge? Or via modern medicines? Or via psychological analysis?

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Dark Poetry #4 » Jesus Above

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary