navwin » Archives » Dark Poetry #4 » Under My Skin
Dark Poetry #4
Post A Reply Post New Topic Under My Skin Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Alicat
Member Elite
since 1999-05-23
Posts 4094
Coastal Texas

0 posted 2005-05-03 01:55 PM

This morning when I got out of bed
I had an itch I had to scratch
On my leg discolored patch
Dark brown bruises lined with red

Numbers of bruises I had to know
Hoping to see a little bit better
Standing before a full sized mirror
Hundreds of bruises from head to toe

Itching would stop, and then begin
Scratching until the skin turned red
From the bruise I saw the head
Of the wasp buried under my skin

Alicat
5/3/05

© Copyright 2005 Alastair Adamson - All Rights Reserved
serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

1 posted 2005-05-03 10:41 PM

You warned me that this layered, and yet I find myself arguing your intent anyhow.

Not being comfy in my own skin, I loved your visual of bee trapped inside and stinging--nod, that's how it feels to my addicted self, to want to calm/cease that grim battle, if only for a little while.

I can also read illness into it as well (my mystery bruises yanno) and it doesn't seem to matter which way I read it, it leaves me with a feeling of frustration and helplessness.

You have a knack of the surreal metaphor bro. Not always a cozy, comfy read, but sometimes I think it's meant to sting.

I sure hope this all made sense.

*hugs*

I've been at war with that wasp a long, long time...

Mysteria
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Laureate
since 2001-03-07
Posts 18328
British Columbia, Canada
2 posted 2005-05-05 01:11 AM

I think perhaps a few of us have our own wasps, as I know I sure do.  I don't think I could ever describe the sucker as well as you did here though.

This one frustrates for sure, and somehow your poem truly exemplifies the helplessness of not being able to really scratch the itch.  

green_itchy_stuff
since 2003-06-26
Posts 1929
New Caney, Tx
3 posted 2005-05-05 02:07 PM

When you know something that you can't see.  Its pretty much the same.  

-GIS

...and the way things are goin, they're gonna crucify me.  -The Beattles

Alicat
Member Elite
since 1999-05-23
Posts 4094
Coastal Texas
4 posted 2005-05-05 02:32 PM

Thank you all for the responses.  Some background on this one:  Several years ago I had a dream so vivid that it woke me up with a nasty start and had me extremely spooked.  In the dream, my legs started to itch.  When I looked, there was this brown oval bruise.  After scratching and scratching, the bruise split, and a wasp started to crawl out from beneath the skin.  That woke me, and my legs were itching like mad.  That spooked me, and I was up tearing the sheets off the bed looking for insects!   Later I learned of ichneuman wasps, which lay eggs in, on, or near other insects, who in turn become food for the hatching larva.  Just a slight phobia I have about insects on my skin.
Mad_Hatter
since 2003-06-29
Posts 393
Canada
5 posted 2005-05-06 08:48 PM

I like this.  I eagerly anticipate the day that whatever is under my skin comes out.  Inspiring.
Kaos
since 2001-08-02
Posts 317
between space and time
6 posted 2005-05-12 01:48 PM

my skin is crawling... but i like Mad Hatters comment... i'm waiting for the same thing... Good read tho, a little eerie, but i enjoyed it

"I go to parties sometimes until 4, it's hard to leave when you can't find the door..." Joe Walsh

(I Ride The Short Bus)

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Dark Poetry #4 » Under My Skin

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary