navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #30 » Bete Noire
Open Poetry #30
Post A Reply Post New Topic Bete Noire Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Obscurity
since 2003-12-04
Posts 153
In A Melancholic Dream

0 posted 2003-12-10 10:00 PM

When her tears cloak the moons pale shine,
And her spirit is long forgotten,
When her whispers take me to the highest peaks,
There I choose to stand before the bete noire of what you call god

If all is lost, when shall I choose to tremble?
When her beauty haunts the darkest shadows,
And her voice is the winters silence,
Then shall I fall upon my knees
And cry for the faint hope of her last embrace

I know its not very good, but It's just something that came to me, so if you have any criticism, or any comments on it I'd be very grateful to hear them, thanks.

© Copyright 2003 Brett Gailey - All Rights Reserved
Alicat
Member Elite
since 1999-05-23
Posts 4094
Coastal Texas
1 posted 2003-12-10 10:13 PM

So when you come before the Stupid Black/Dark/Night, since noire instead of soire is used, then such will be? The sybolism is good and the semantics strong, though the work does seem inconclusive. Something I can't quite put my finger on. It is a good poem based on word usage and imagery, but it doesn't seem to go anywhere, if you know what I mean.

Perhaps, and don't take this amiss, CA would be a good forum to visit from time to time, especially if looking for strong feedback.

Alicat

Obscurity
since 2003-12-04
Posts 153
In A Melancholic Dream
2 posted 2003-12-10 10:17 PM

Ah Indeed, and I don't mind critical anaylsis at all. I shall visit there more often, just the fear of having my personal dignity torn apart is driving me not to visit that forum  

Anyway... It may seem like it doesn't go anywhere, but the reason I wrote it was because I suddenly got an inspiration from this women I used to love, and thats pretty much what all my poetry is about. Its the focus of love being lost into the night, into obscurity...

Though besides that, I try not to explain the poetry I write too much, because it makes me feel bad on the need to explain it. I try to allow others to see the way I do before I drown in the deep end  

Edit: Yes, what I've just said practically makes no sense

[This message has been edited by Obscurity (12-10-2003 10:18 PM).]

Alicat
Member Elite
since 1999-05-23
Posts 4094
Coastal Texas
3 posted 2003-12-10 10:21 PM

And that's OK. Btw, they don't use lions anymore in CA....they lost too many teeth, not to mention the indigestion. The reason I wasn't sure where the poem was going was that I normally don't take a cathartic slant on things, so have no idea if the poem is personal in nature. So I usually talk about the 'speaker' in the poem instead of the writer.
ThisDiamond
Member Rara Avis
since 2002-02-22
Posts 9353
Michigan, USA
4 posted 2003-12-10 10:27 PM

There is a tinge of trepidation in this piece, a very hauntly beautiful write.
The pain of lost love is very personal, yet very universal.  Even left to all interpretation, an excellent work. TD

Midnitesun
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Empyrean
since 2001-05-18
Posts 28647
Gaia
5 posted 2003-12-10 10:29 PM

LOL, I smiled Alicat's comments, and yet? for him to critique anything in here is....
well, I think it is very rare. In all the time I've been posting, I've seen few comments from him in this forum.
ok, so redundancy flows easily from my pen
LOL, but I thoroughly enjoyed this write, and will look for your name again.
After all, the concept of obscurity itself intrigues.

A Romantic Heart
Member Ascendant
since 1999-09-03
Posts 5496
Forever In Your Heart
6 posted 2003-12-10 10:33 PM

I myself though it was great! I love this style poetry, reminds me of the 1800's...of knights and maidens...my kind of stuff...

keep it up, great lines..~enjoyed!

~ARH

True poets don't write with the ink of quill or pen, but with the ink of their heart~

~Willow~
since 2002-08-10
Posts 9

7 posted 2003-12-10 10:38 PM

What can I say that hasn't been said already?  An awesome read indeed.

~willow~

Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
8 posted 2003-12-10 10:44 PM

Sir, heed Ali's advice...for some wonderful critique, seek CA....it will get you all that you desire.

As for posting in Open?  HA!  CA and Open can be held hand in hand...post there the poem for CA; post here for those who just love to see what you might write...

so....

write on.

[This message has been edited by Sunshine (12-10-2003 10:45 PM).]

Obscurity
since 2003-12-04
Posts 153
In A Melancholic Dream
9 posted 2003-12-11 02:58 AM

Thankies to all who replied, I appreciate the warm thoughts.

Alicat: Beta Noire == Misery

Ratleader
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Rara Avis
since 2003-01-23
Posts 7026
Visiting Earth on a Guest Pass
10 posted 2003-12-11 10:11 PM

It's lack of a central focus. That's the only weakness in an otherwise powerful poem.

Though it plays as central to the poem, the god line actually leads away from the rest of the text. It's the only line that really addresses that subject. The rest is all focused on one thing, and not tied to it thematically or by imagery. That breaks the poetic envelope -- everything else inside and that line poking out.

Soooo.... either that line should go, or the rest of the poem should be moved in its direction, with words that echo it in some way or build on it.

That line is good, but I think it belongs in another poem. Because of that and since the rest of the poem is so strongly written, I'd vote for option #1, but either one will strengthen it.

~~(¸¸¸¸ºº>   ~~(¸¸¸¸ºº>  ~~(¸¸ ¸¸ºº>    ~~~(¸¸ER¸¸ºº>
______________Ratleader______________

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #30 » Bete Noire

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary