navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #29 » This is the Golden Age of Grotesque
Open Poetry #29
Post A Reply Post New Topic This is the Golden Age of Grotesque Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
EvocativeVerse2
since 2003-09-10
Posts 1279

0 posted 2003-09-30 10:46 AM

This is the Golden Age of Grotesque

This is the golden age of grotesque,
A parody that's simply burlesque,
We author inconsequential rhyme,
Then praise it as if it were sublime.
We are bit players upon a stage,
Regurgitating impotent rage,
But when we've had our last curtain call,
The masses seek another to maul.
'Tis the secrets we wrap in dead hair,
For which the paparazzi oft care,
Controversy is a writer's whore--
--A harlequin that they all adore.
Let us vogue until they know our face,
Dress us in satin, leather, and lace,
We'll vaudeville the theatre of the queer,
For those who believe we're worth revere.
We are called strumpets, cutthroats, and thieves,
And oft wear our hearts upon our sleeves,
Yet it's not for fame that we compose,
Ill rhythm and rhyme that we'd call prose.
Yea this is our melody of choice,
Our opus, our ode, our unique voice,
If none understand the words we write,
Then let them look elsewhere on this night.

© Copyright 2003 Kevin R. Middleton - All Rights Reserved
Cpat Hair
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-06-05
Posts 11793

1 posted 2003-09-30 10:52 AM

(chuckling)

self critical and defensive at the same time... I like that..lol

EvocativeVerse2
since 2003-09-10
Posts 1279

2 posted 2003-09-30 11:46 AM

Yeah I agree Cpat...it is very self critical and defensive. I have been in a funky mood this past week. Trying to fathom why ill written poetry gets 20+ responses in here and yet others worth note don't get any. I feel all twisted inside...questioning whether or not I am a good writer. I don't understand what it is my heart is trying to tell me...but I was hoping in writing this I'd find some answer. Alas it was not to be though.
Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
3 posted 2003-09-30 12:04 PM

...and yet, good poetry is always in the eye
of the beholder.

Don't be so harsh on yourself.  Get thee to CA, and help the rest of us become better writers...

I'm up for a good pounding on my own.

Cpat Hair
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-06-05
Posts 11793

4 posted 2003-09-30 12:20 PM

"I feel all twisted inside...questioning whether or not I am a good writer."

ah... but I have to ask why do your answers depend on the comments of others? Do you think you are a good writer? I mean do you enjoy writing and do you think you convey the thoughts or ideas well? If so, the number of comments is no measure of the worth of the words. I often read far more poetry than I comment on, including yours. That does not mean I do not think the person is not a good writer, it means at times, I have nothing of value to add or my comments are too lengthy for me to spend the time making them. ( we are all selfish of our time and we all have restrictions of some sort)

I know, I am not a "good" writer...and not even a poet in the definition of many, whether I write well or not. It doesn't bother me much, because for years, I simply composed these things in my head, carried them around a while, and forgot them as new ones came to mind. I wrote, or composed because it was for me ( selfish again) more or as much ( at this point) as it was for someone to comment on.

set aside your doubts, and the measure of how many comments... ask yourself if it pleases you or is important to you, and if so.. then write on.. if it is only for acclaim or recognition you write... ask yourself why....

just my two and a half cents from a half wit...

BTW... self critical and defensive.. while amusing at times and frustrating at others, is indeed interesting. It always begs the question

Why?

passing shadows
Member Empyrean
since 1999-08-26
Posts 45577
displaced
5 posted 2003-09-30 12:21 PM

Kevin, I have wondered the same thing but this place goes fast...and the more that people are around, the more likely they are the ones to be read and commented on...doesn't say anything bad about anyone else's writings, just happens that way

the replies are nice...but it's being able to share and touch someone else's heart that makes it a great place for me here...I am not a technical writer...no one will study me in college lit class years after I'm dead...

the friendship here is a wonderful thing, means more to me than being able to write a poem like Robert Frost

stick around and keep writing!

froggy
since 2003-06-23
Posts 1893
Michigan
6 posted 2003-10-01 11:04 PM

Hello Shakespeare,
  I love your poetry but of course you
already knew that.
  You are a great writer in more ways then one.

;-)

Hugs to you

angelblueyes
Member Elite
since 2003-07-19
Posts 2148
Oklahoma
7 posted 2003-10-01 11:33 PM

Your writing is awesome.It always brings life to the pafe.That's why I enjoy poetry so much, the many facdes that it shows.
Crystal

SharaRose
Member Elite
since 2003-07-19
Posts 2501
Somewhere out there~
8 posted 2003-10-02 01:49 AM

Wow ..did I ever need to read this, and the comments. Thank you for sharing this part of you. I really needed this..*alot*
Love,
Terri~

Of sound, and speech let all lift the hearer!

Susan Caldwell
Member Rara Avis
since 2002-12-27
Posts 8348
Florida
9 posted 2003-10-02 02:05 AM

"Yet it's not for fame that we compose,
Ill rhythm and rhyme that we'd call prose.
Yea this is our melody of choice,
Our opus, our ode, our unique voice,
If none understand the words we write,
Then let them look elsewhere on this night."

Isn't the answer to your angst in these lines?  You said it...we write because we have to...(sanity for me)...it's very nice to get responses and some are so caring and wise that at times I have to smile with the warmth of acceptance...however..once again..I write because I have to...

As for your writing and this piece in particular...I adored it..it made me laugh and think...at times, I nodded my head in understanding...

Keep writing....

Susan

Mistletoe Angel
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 5 Tours
Member Empyrean
since 2000-12-17
Posts 32816
Portland, Oregon
10 posted 2003-10-02 02:30 AM

(sigh) Please don't get so hard on yourself, dearest friend, ever so often I believe the "beholder's eye" is blind as truly, all honest poetry is good poetry and it truly annoys me to see many get hard on themselves when variety adds spice to life and that's what makes this age grotesque, yes? (big hugggsssssss) You truly have a remarkable voice, sweet friend, God Bless You, we all love you so much! You have such a beautiful heart, thank you for sharing!

May love and light always shine upon you!

Love,
Noah Eaton

I don't need no proof when it comes to God and truth
I can see the sun set and I perceive

***Live***

Midnitesun
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Empyrean
since 2001-05-18
Posts 28647
Gaia
11 posted 2003-10-02 07:57 AM

Self-flagellation while you hold up the coat of steel? LOL, resistance is futile...

All kidding aside, I doubt the number of replies has much to do with the quality of the write. I've had a few that I considered gems that slipped like a forgotten scroll into the dead seas of passion. And a few that went zooming back to the top that I forgot (or wanted to forget) came from this very keyboard.
Anyway, I usually read whatever you post, but sometimes only have 10-15 minutes of reading time, and no reply time. I apologize for that, but that's just the way I interract here.
Step away from the whip.

nakdthoughts
Member Laureate
since 2000-10-29
Posts 19200
Between the Lines
12 posted 2003-10-02 09:43 AM

We are bit players upon a stage,
Regurgitating impotent rage,

A great couple of lines...so true, Kevin.
I  get a kick out of poems like this..their intent and thus the responses evoked.

Thank you for a few introspective, but pleasing thoughts brought to mind, this morning

M

MorninGlory
since 2003-08-30
Posts 175
Oklahoma
13 posted 2003-10-02 08:32 PM

Well, I do understand how you feel, Kevin. I have posted many poems here, and many have only a couple of comments.. some only one. I guess it just takes time.

~ becky

[This message has been edited by MorninGlory (10-02-2003 10:15 PM).]

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #29 » This is the Golden Age of Grotesque

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary