navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #27 » stone children
Open Poetry #27
Post A Reply Post New Topic stone children Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
ice
Member Elite
since 2003-05-17
Posts 3404
Pennsylvania

0 posted 2003-06-19 08:39 PM

Stone children in a Garden
June 12, 2003
By ice
Out along the flat-stone path
Across from north he calls
To a girl, twelve year old slim
Stepping, bare toes testing
A dry stream to ford.
Her, and the rock stream, due south
Both make-believe phantasies
Stone-dead cold yet, are they
Not as live as you and me,
In some long-past childhood dream?
She has come up the meadow
From the pond, Redwings  
On rushes have shown her the way;
Crossed the fence, caught her dress
On splintery rails, but does not care.
She has Come
To greet (in secret) her first love
But shied to open all at once
Too many gates; her old bounds
Falling like toe-tripped hurdles
His voice thrown, catches in leaves
The tree hydrangea receives
Lets words fall, echoing
Softly, on hard patina ears...
She,stepping around soft-blades
Of miscanthus, thankful her face
Is hard-ceramic, if not
He might catch its blush;
Husker-red, as nearby penstemons.
Eyes looking down, a pretending
At staring to keep balance
Innocent, as rock can be
She fakes well, a nonchalance
That hides her shyness
Hesitates a moment...
Then takes another step
To further cross.
end

© Copyright 2003 ford hume - All Rights Reserved
Midnitesun
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Empyrean
since 2001-05-18
Posts 28647
Gaia
1 posted 2003-06-19 08:47 PM

So much going on in here, and well worth another read when I have more time. Just wanted you to know I read it, and am intrigued.
I also want to offer my Welcome to Pips, ice.

visitvenus
since 2002-12-30
Posts 101
PA, USA
2 posted 2003-06-19 08:51 PM

Awesome first post!  Welcome to Passions!

-Venus

Mistletoe Angel
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 5 Tours
Member Empyrean
since 2000-12-17
Posts 32816
Portland, Oregon
3 posted 2003-06-19 08:58 PM

(smiles) This is a wonderful debut, dearest friend, I felt as though I was there...in Versailles or some enchanted marble palace watching porcelain being glazed and a fair maiden out there in the garden trying to polish the plate to a fine clair de lune! (big hugggssssssss) I love it! Welcome to Passions, sweet friend, may you be inspired by all of us here as we will all be inspired by your lovely words! I can't wait to read more of your lovely words, sweet friend, we all love you so much! You have such a beautiful heart, sweet friend, thank you for sharing!

May love and light always shine upon you!

Love,
Noah Eaton

Underneath your clothes, there's an endless story

***Shakira***

KoKo
since 2003-02-15
Posts 995
Inside the shadow's shadow
4 posted 2003-06-20 03:01 AM

!!!! Welcome to PIP!!!!!! FANTASTIC first post!

I do not know whether I was then a man dreaming I was a butterfly, or whether I am now a butterfly dreaming I am a man.
--Chang Tzu

JilGirl
since 2003-05-24
Posts 364
Washington
5 posted 2003-06-20 03:41 AM

I'm impressed! You've a novel, here!
I need a re-read to catch up on the chapters within!

Terrific write!
I enjoyed the uniqueness of your style.
WELCOME to PIP!

Blessings!
Shirl

Till oceans cease to flow and deserts lose their sands, may beauty surround you every day and wealth be in your hands.

ice
Member Elite
since 2003-05-17
Posts 3404
Pennsylvania
6 posted 2003-06-20 06:19 AM

Wow!
What a nice reception to this forum... :-)
I am new here as you know, and by the way, computer challeneged. How do I send individual replys to each commentor? Until I learn how, I will do a group hugs and here thank JilGirl, KoKO, Mistletoe angle, Visit Venus and Midnightsun for their nice comments.Hope to figure this out soon...thank you all again...ice

Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
7 posted 2003-06-20 06:49 AM

Welcome to Passions, Ice.  A lot of new members come in "computer challenged" so one of the things I can do is offer to show you to Member's Area/Help, where we have information not only on our guidelines, but HTML and UBB help as well.  Just click on the area above, and you will find all kinds of information to get you on your way.

You may also contact any moderator and they will be glad to assist you as well.

Please, check your E-mail for a Special Greeting!

Karilea - if I whisper, will you listen?

Local Parasite
Deputy Moderator 10 Tours
Member Elite
since 2001-11-05
Posts 2527
Transylconia, Winnipeg
8 posted 2003-06-20 12:30 PM

This is the kind of poetry that I love to read.  You've created a fantastic mix of real and surreal, which left me trying to decipher exactly what you intended with this... either a description of actual children in a garden, the "stone children" aspect being merely for an image effect... or you're doing what Keats did with the Grecian Urn, and using a permanent, fixed state to describe some suggested storyline and events surrounding a pair of imagined characters...

What I can say with a certainty is that your style is solid and involving, and I fully enjoyed reading this, and reading it over a couple of times to try and better understand it.  I wouldn't mind you offering a little insight into the deeper meaning of this one, if you'd be willing...

Oh, and if you're talking about responding to people individually in this particular thread, this forum lacks that feature... most of us just do what you did, and encompass our message to each person in a single reply.  A great way to show your appreciation for someone, though, is to reply to one of their poems as well... after all, that's how piptalk works... you get back every bit that you put in.

Welcome to piptalk.  I'll try my best to keep an eye on your posts, but you'll notice I'm not terribly active in this forum.  Your title happened to catch my eye.  Regardless of whether or not I get to see your involvement each step of the way, though, what I do know is you've got a lot to offer this community and I hope that you stick around and continue posting for quite some time.

Parasite

Poets are the unacknowledged legislators of the world.
~Percy Bysshe Shelley

ice
Member Elite
since 2003-05-17
Posts 3404
Pennsylvania
9 posted 2003-06-20 08:43 PM

Hi Sunshine.:-)
Thanks for the welcome and information.
I did see your e-mail and enjoyed the painting of the child, it fit the poem perfectly, thanks again. This forum is very busy, which is refreshing to me. Perhaps poetry is still very much alive in the world...ice

ice
Member Elite
since 2003-05-17
Posts 3404
Pennsylvania
10 posted 2003-06-20 09:05 PM

Hi Local Parasite.:-)
Thank you for the nice comments.
The poem is a mixture of real and surreal. I am a landscape designer and own a small design/build company. The statues are in a garden that I designed, and in part , this is a real story. It is the surreal part that I have worded into this poem, which is a try at manipulation of solid ceramic forms into the fluidity of life. In that respect I am somewhat old fashioned, your mention of Keats brought a smile to my face. Perhaps the loss of childhood innocense shows a bit in this poem (and perhaps a small bit of Yeats has also rubbed off on me?)Anyway, gardens are always in states of transition, nothing stays the same, things grow and die and I write my garden designs the same as poems, with that in mind.
I have responded to other poets in this forum, love to do that. Actually I own a poetry chatroom on the starlink network,( a little spam here)so I am used to critique and critiquing. It is called "Poetry Today Online" Poets come there from all over the world to share their work and also classic, world poetry. (this is an invitaion to join us sometime) If you would like more information, please e-mail me.
Thanks for the warm welcome, I am going to like it here....ice

Local Rebel
Member Ascendant
since 1999-12-21
Posts 5767
Southern Abstentia
11 posted 2003-06-20 11:39 PM

Oh, I don't think it's about a loss of childhood innocence at all -- but about rediscovery.  

The world never tires of boy meets girl.

passing shadows
Member Empyrean
since 1999-08-26
Posts 45577
displaced
12 posted 2003-06-21 04:27 AM

awesome writing! Welcome to Passions Ice Looking forward to more!
Magnus
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Laureate
since 2001-10-10
Posts 14135
South Carolina, USA
13 posted 2003-06-21 10:31 PM

this is exceptional, very intriguing,  and
yes....surreal...  Welcome to Passions..
Hope you enjoy our home..

littlewing
Member Rara Avis
since 2003-03-02
Posts 9655
New York
14 posted 2003-06-21 10:33 PM

ice:

amazing entrance
loved this story
that you unfolded before my eyes
and yet it continues
elsewhere . . .
beautiful writing
xxoo

Martie
Member Empyrean
since 1999-09-21
Posts 28049
California
15 posted 2003-06-21 10:51 PM

Welcome to Passions, ice...very much enjoyed this first post of yours...more please? !
ice
Member Elite
since 2003-05-17
Posts 3404
Pennsylvania
16 posted 2003-06-22 09:12 AM

Wow!
More nice comments, places like this will keep poetry alive..:-)
Thank you Local Rebel, Passing Shaddows, Magnus, Little Wing and Martie for the compliments and greetings.....ice

Artic Wind
Member Rara Avis
since 2007-09-16
Posts 8080
Realm of Supernatural
17 posted 2008-08-05 07:29 PM

WELCOME TO PIP

ARCTIC WIND

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #27 » stone children

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary