navwin » Discussion » Philosophy 101 » American History Question
Philosophy 101
Post A Reply Post New Topic American History Question Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Huan Yi
Member Ascendant
since 2004-10-12
Posts 6688
Waukegan

0 posted 2007-08-27 09:01 PM

At what point in American history did
Presidents become executives not to be trusted
and instead those to be suspected of malicious intent?

© Copyright 2007 John Pawlik - All Rights Reserved
iliana
Member Patricius
since 2003-12-05
Posts 13434
USA
1 posted 2007-08-27 10:09 PM

For me....it started with Nixon, maybe even Johnson.  But I heard relatives complain about what FDR did.  Probably started back with Woodrow Wilson or who maybe even Lincoln.  Certainly, the Southerners were not happy with his politics.  

Isn't it a given that power is not to be trusted....ever?

rwood
Member Elite
since 2000-02-29
Posts 3793
Tennessee
2 posted 2007-08-28 07:47 AM

From the beginning,

Washington #1:"Guard against the impostures of pretended patriotism." Which doesn't exclude presidents & I'm sure many feel the General's wig was crooked (but he didn't wear one). & "Government is not reason, it is not eloquence, it is force...Never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." Presently, some get 4 more years & or a pardon from it all. Imagine that.

Adams #2: "There is danger from all men. The only maxim of a free government ought to be to trust no man living with power to endanger the public liberty." I wonder why he wasn't well loved.*sarc*

Jefferson #3: "Free government is founded in jealousy, not confidence.... Let no more be heard of confidence in men, but bind him down from mischief by the chains of the Constitutions." & "I know of no safe repository of the ultimate power of society but the peopleā€¦" Ya gotta give Jefferson the charismatic medal of eloquence in his offerings.

& one of my my favorite quotes on politics, in general, comes from President Adams' Great-grandson, Henry Brooks Adams--the U.S. Historian.

"Politics, as a practise, whatever its professions, has always been the systematic organization of hatreds."

all on wikiquote.

I would think that most begin building a portfolio on presidents' mal-intent when they fail to stand up to their word.
U.S. Presidents should come into office with an absolute knowledge that they better be A People of Their Word or else suffer a loss of  trust from those they lead. Human to human relationships, friend to friend, requires such, why would it not be expected from POTUS?

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » Philosophy 101 » American History Question

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary