navwin » Discussion » Philosophy 101 » Life in Material Objects
Philosophy 101
Post A Reply Post New Topic Life in Material Objects Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Essorant
Member Elite
since 2002-08-10
Posts 4769
Regina, Saskatchewan; Canada

0 posted 2006-09-10 08:45 PM

Do you think material objects or "phenomena" may be alive in a certain way?  Does a special heirloom have a certain kind of life in it?  Does a poem itself have some life?  An engagement ring?  The sky? A storm in the sky?  A cloud?  What do you think?

© Copyright 2006 Essorant - All Rights Reserved
iliana
Member Patricius
since 2003-12-05
Posts 13434
USA
1 posted 2006-09-10 09:06 PM

Baruch Spinoza (1632-1677) - http://www.philosophypages.com/hy/4h.htm#god

"What is more, god is a being with infinitely many attributes, each of which is itself infinite, upon which no limits of any kind can be imposed. So Spinoza argued that infinite substance must be indivisible, eternal, and unitary. There can be only one such substance, "god or nature," in which everything else is wholly contained. Thus, Spinoza is an extreme monist, for whom "Whatever is, is in god." Every mind and every body, every thought and every movement, all are nothing more than aspects of the one true being. Thus, god is an extended as well as a thinking substance."

If Spinoza's philosophy is true, then I would say, Yes.  

JesusChristPose
since 2005-06-21
Posts 777
Pittsburgh, Pa
2 posted 2006-09-10 11:10 PM

"Do you think material objects or "phenomena" may be alive in a certain way?"

~ Absolutely not. They are not alive.

"Does a special heirloom have a certain kind of life in it?"

~ No.

"Does a poem itself have some life?  An engagement ring?  The sky? A storm in the sky?  A cloud?  What do you think?"

~ No.

"Melvin, the best thing you got going for you is your willingness to humiliate yourself."

Local Rebel
Member Ascendant
since 1999-12-21
Posts 5767
Southern Abstentia
3 posted 2006-09-10 11:50 PM

There are certainly many pantheist religions in the world that would tend to the affirmative -- Shinto, Zen, Tao, Buddhism,  others too..Joseph Smith wrote of Adam hearing the Earth speak..

Physics also would tend to categorize us all as different tributaries of the same gravity well -- but would come up short of catogorizing the inanimate as animate.

icebox
Member Elite
since 2003-05-03
Posts 4383
in the shadows
4 posted 2006-09-11 01:42 PM

Pity the man who believes only in what he has seen.
JesusChristPose
since 2005-06-21
Posts 777
Pittsburgh, Pa
5 posted 2006-09-11 06:09 PM

"Pity the man who believes only in what he has seen."

~ Yes, I agree.  

"Melvin, the best thing you got going for you is your willingness to humiliate yourself."

kif kif
since 2006-06-01
Posts 439
BCN
6 posted 2006-09-18 04:25 AM

At first reading, I wouldn't class a man-made object like an heirloom or a ring with the sky, although our desire/love is poured into all these things, thus creating movements within them.

The sky was there to begin with, we just tamper with it.
Some man-made objects are made from man-made materials that wouldn't exist unless we desired to create something, remembering that everything material was drawn from the natural earth to begin with,(so perhaps the sky is akin to a ring) Yet, what about plastic things, like vinyl records? Sonic beauty encrypted within, but on the surface, a blight to the environment.). We've just mixed it up, like an artist's palette (albeit an environmentally unfriendly one), so I'd offer my opinion as yes.

mostlikelytolie
since 2006-09-20
Posts 5

7 posted 2006-09-20 03:53 PM

But, Could you also argue that humans themselves also 'man made' objects? (well, all excepting those who came first, whether they're adam & eve or whomever you believe in) And therefore, wouldn't you be putting us in with objects, who would therefore not have a life either?...and also, I would like to point out that if I carried a teddy bear with me every where I went, and I lived a VERY fruitful life, skydiving, travelling, romance, parenthood, off to war even, wouldn't I be able to say that my teddy bear has lived a more fulfilling life than a man who did nothing of extraodinary? If Martin Luther King wore the same tie every day of his adult life, wouldn't that tie have seen much more of a life than a woman who barely ever left her house? Something to think about...

kif kif
since 2006-06-01
Posts 439
BCN
8 posted 2006-09-22 02:15 AM

I would say that humans are natural to the earth, like a bush that's selfing and becoming weird-looking---sweeping, I know, but your tie question's got me dizzy.

Tie's have no life-line, as somewhere along it's branches of production, the pulse was probably severed by using *unfair labour (perhaps if it was lovingly hand-made, especially for the wearer, it might have a life?) I take it back. Life, as in continuing vibrations that can be measured(?), are found in things that grow. *Would that include money? A sobering thought. I suppose it depends on what value we put on it. So, I think we're just making it all up as we go along, loving ourselves (and teddy!) (or not loving, as with your housebound woman.)

(*Obviously, I'd say no, because of my unfair labour comment.)

I believe that to find love and life in money means being deluded, so I'll have to back up even farther...sometimes, our idea of value is misguided.

[This message has been edited by kif kif (09-22-2006 04:27 AM).]

Brian James
since 2005-06-26
Posts 147
Winnipeg
9 posted 2006-09-28 12:41 PM

If your question is, "can we find creative ways of re-defining words like 'Life' so that their significance is expanded beyond meanings that are purely scientific or conventional," then my answer is "yes."  

"To me, the thing that art does for life is to clean it, to strip it to form."
~Robert Frost

Stephanos
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2000-07-31
Posts 3618
Statesboro, GA, USA
10 posted 2006-09-28 03:35 PM

Brian,

I could be wrong, but I think Essorant may be edging toward some kind of pantheism, rather than descriptive creativity.  

Stephen.  

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » Philosophy 101 » Life in Material Objects

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary