navwin » Discussion » Philosophy 101 » Dead Sea Scrolls
Philosophy 101
Post A Reply Post New Topic Dead Sea Scrolls Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Tais
since 2004-01-28
Posts 92
Ontario, Canada

0 posted 2004-02-09 11:48 AM

Have any of you read "The Dead Sea Scrolls Bible?"

It's very interesting and I recommend it for those who like reading the bible and like researching about it.

Lots of information which are on those scrolls, are not in the bible because they were not found at the time the bible was organized and written.

Wonderful things.

There are things in these scrolls which Jesus said, but we didn't know  because  the scrolls were only found 'recently' and the for those who speak and read only English, only now we have the translation.

Name: The Dead Sea Scrolls BIBLE
Translated by: Martin Abegg Jr., Peter Flint and Eugene Ulrich

Tais

© Copyright 2004 Tais Lintz - All Rights Reserved
serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

1 posted 2004-02-09 05:28 PM

Tais? nodding here--fascinating reading and food for thought indeed.

But there's more:
http://gbgm-umc.org/umw/bible/outside2.stm

The personal discovery of these books are exciting enough and is enough of a  mental meal for a lifetime, but when you start researching history and origins of the language, you've got yourself a feast.

Right now I'm reading "The Babylonians" by H.W.F. Saggs, and of course, there's always the works of Josephus as well.

mmmmmmmmm....yummy!

munch munch munch

(and btw?-- I chuckle, because the reason I need a great reference library is because of my rotten memory and I was gifted a priceless inheritance of books from my brother)

Aenimal
Member Rara Avis
since 2002-11-18
Posts 7350
the ass-end of space
2 posted 2004-04-01 01:59 PM

I've read them and they're essential in understanding the christianity on one of two levels. The first, that many scholars believe that they are direct teachings of the early christian cult before romanization. These revelations would be a little too much for most catholics and christians because it undermines church history and beliefs. However, I'd still recommend the read as evidence of how many similar and no less devoted cults arose around the same time which could easily have risen to the same prominence as christianity.

DEAD SEA SCROLLS DECEPTION by Michael Baigent is a fantastic book on the subject

Opeth
since 2001-12-13
Posts 1543
The Ravines
3 posted 2004-04-01 02:03 PM

Well, freaking well, looks who is back! Good seein ya, Raph.
jbouder
Member Elite
since 1999-09-18
Posts 2534
Whole Sort Of Genl Mish Mash
4 posted 2004-04-01 02:05 PM

The Essenes were not Christians - they were a Jewish sect.  None of the Qumran scrolls included books or letters of the New Testament.  The most significant find for Christians is the nearly complete Book of Isaiah dated 100 B.C. which includes Isaiah's Messianic prophesies.  Prior to the find, 19th and early 20th century critics were suggesting that such passages predicting the Messiah's birth in Bethlehem and the "by his stripes you will be healed" passages were early Christian forgeries.

I don't know who is suggesting the Essenes where a Christian cult.  That is simply false.

Jim

Aenimal
Member Rara Avis
since 2002-11-18
Posts 7350
the ass-end of space
5 posted 2004-04-01 02:43 PM

thanks Opeth grins just when i though i wa sout...they pull me back in

jboulder there's an excellent theory within the book I mentioned that covers the Essenes as well as other movements of the time, as different labels pertaining to the same cult.

Opeth
since 2001-12-13
Posts 1543
The Ravines
6 posted 2004-04-01 02:48 PM

btw, there were numerous Jewish Christians "cults" which were completely misunderstood by traditional christians (those under the false christian Constantine and his rule).

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » Philosophy 101 » Dead Sea Scrolls

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary