navwin » Discussion » Philosophy 101 » The Potty Putter
Philosophy 101
Post A Reply Post New Topic The Potty Putter Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
J.L. Humphres
since 2000-01-03
Posts 201
Alabama

0 posted 2001-05-01 11:52 PM

Late one night a couple of months ago I had just returned from a night of performing with my band. Performing always hypes me up and I usually have to wind down for a few hours afterwards. This particular evening (morning actually) I decided to watch some television.
  Before I get too far ahead of myself let me explain where I am coming from at the time this notion first occured to me. Being on stage gives you a different perspective of the "bar" scene. You see the attractive blonde and the vulture at the end of the bar leave together; you are always looking out for fights on the dance floor; always catching those glances from the aforementioned blonde before the vulture goes in for the kill...Anyway, you see a completely different side of people, and consequently society, and you notice all this as an observer.
  Back to my point...I'm flipping the channels at like three-thirty in the morning and there isn't much on but I catch this commercial...THE POTTY PUTTER. The gist is you get this little putting green cut to fit around your toilet's base, a miniature putter, a little hole complete with plastic flag, and, as an added bonus,  a cardboard doorknob hanger which says roughly, "Do not disturb...practicing putting." You get this wonderful little invention for the bargain basement price of $19.99 plus s/h.
   I have problems with this idea on several points, first off who spends this much time in the bathroom and why can't they just read like everyone else? Second, apparently the genious who invented this thing has stumbled on to some sort of need in society because I have started seeing this commercial at all times of the day and night. Third, and this is most important to me in the commercial they actually show people on the toilet. It's not graphic or anything but it is PEOPLE ON THE TOILET for godsakes...in a commercial.
   So here is the philosophical angle to this whole tyrade I've just carried you on...Is this where 10 years of good economic activity and freedom of speech gets you? I mean are we to the point that we have nothing better to spend our cash on than potty putters. Now I know there are some who will argue that there has always been the goofball T-shirts and amazing kitchen utensils but this item to me is truly troubling. Give me your thoughts.

J.L.H.

Jason
God is a warm whisper from the cool void.
Jack Kerouac

© Copyright 2001 Jason L. Humphres - All Rights Reserved
Brad
Member Ascendant
since 1999-08-20
Posts 5705
Jejudo, South Korea
1 posted 2001-05-03 08:07 PM

Thinking about this one. No, it's not something I'd personally buy but then again I doubt if the target buyer is all that interested in poetry.

It takes all kinds.  

Brad

WhtDove
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-07-22
Posts 9245
Illinois
2 posted 2001-05-04 09:49 AM

For everyone out there trying to get rich, by selling garbage, there's someone out there willing to spend their hard earned cash on purchasing it.

LOL really it's funny, I couldn't see buying anything like this. When you think about it, there are some pretty "dumb" ideas that turned out not to be so dumb if they actually got rich off it.

Ron
Administrator
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-05-19
Posts 8669
Michigan, US
3 posted 2001-05-04 01:14 PM

Two words:

Pet Rocks

Poet deVine
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-26
Posts 22612
Hurricane Alley
4 posted 2001-05-04 08:05 PM

I think this just points out that some people HAVE TO HAVE the newest, most unusual, best, more improved toy/car/gadget/invention in the world. Is it humanity's need to have more than his neighbor? I think so. Somewhere there is some golfer who thinks this is the greatest invention since the Popeil's 'All-in-one-knife/fishing rod/fork'....

And since I haven't seen it during MY viewing hours I guess it must mean that I'm not in their target market...for which I will be eternally grateful!  

jenni
since 1999-09-11
Posts 478
Washington D.C.
5 posted 2001-05-05 12:07 PM

yay!  now i know what to get for my boyfriend's birthday!  

but:  the philosophical angle?

lol, it sounds like it's simply meant to be a joke, a novelty item, an office party gag gift.  i haven't seen the commercial, but i bet it has real cheesy production values, lol; stylistically it sounds like it's probably in the same strain of self-aware, ironic, post-modern humor as old navy commercials, the mcdonald's ad with the nerdy guy on the park bench and the chick with orange eye shadow holding the suggestive french fry, amazon.com's christmas glee club ads, the same humor underlying the whole premise of "that 70's show" on fox.  

stylistically post-modern, but, in the end, firmly in the looooong tradition of novelty items.  like billy bass, the singing fish, you aren't supposed to buy it and actually USE it yourself, lol; you're supposed to "get" the joke, and give it to someone in front of a bunch of other people as an embarrassing gag gift.  everyone groans and laughs and goes home happy, lol.  no big deal.  the fact that there will be some who don't "get it" only makes it funnier.  what's wrong with a little crass, earthy, low-brow humor now and then?  

i don't think we're going to hell in a handbasket, but if we are, it ain't because of the potty putter, lol.

jenni

Romy
since 2000-05-28
Posts 1170
Plantation, Florida
6 posted 2001-05-06 09:08 PM

I was watching Saturday Night Live Re-runs when that commercial came on.  I thought it was a satire in the program!  Hard to believe someone would buy it, but there is something for everyone!  LOL!

Debbie

J.L. Humphres
since 2000-01-03
Posts 201
Alabama
7 posted 2001-05-07 07:26 PM

Hey Everyone,
  I'm glad that this got some response. In case noone noticed this was kind of toungue-in-cheek but it still is disturbing.

Jenni,
  I find Billy Bass just as troubling. LOL Especially since I'm from the Old South and people down here hang their's on the wall next to their real bass. Think about the socio-philosophical implications of that.

J.L.H.

Jason
God is a warm whisper from the cool void.
Jack Kerouac

Moon Dust
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 1999-06-11
Posts 2177
Skelmersdale, UK
8 posted 2001-05-07 07:48 PM

Ah people will sell anything to get some cash. And some people will fall for it.

Don't ever give in, if you do you've lost everything you've ever had and everything you hope to gain, but if you carry on your already winning.

Joricho
since 2001-05-06
Posts 56
Australia
9 posted 2001-05-08 08:30 AM

Trivia is one thing, but trivia as an industry is entirely different. It's the difference between some eccentric thinking "hey, we need lava lamps", and some tycoon saying "hey, I could use lava lamps to part people from their hard-earned cash." One is a delightful expression of human quirkiness, but the other is good old human greed. We don't have these potty putters in Australia yet, but like Survivor, I'm sure they'll make it over soon.
White Wolf
since 1999-09-18
Posts 371
Somewhere in the vast wasteland
10 posted 2001-05-10 03:58 AM

I don't know about the rest of you but when I read this a particular bumper sticker comes to mind.  "I don't know where I am going but what's up with this hand basket?"
The White Wolf

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » Philosophy 101 » The Potty Putter

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary